View Single Post
      03-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #110
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Whats this? Autocross? Passed safety inspection like a boss. The guys running Philly SCCA are awesome. Big thanks to Ken aka Kklin here for the promotion on the intercom!
The confusion on my first run is hilarious. If you watch carefully, I turn off traction control in the middle of my run right at the straight section. There was also time for 3 “fun runs”, which everyone used to learn to drive better, but I was under the impression that it meant “go sideways as much as you can time”. Unfortunately I used my regular mount for that, and had a terrible angle. My friend has a cell phone clip of me spinning though.

This was filmed on the Gopro 2, using an external mic. After many many sound tests, 3 different microphones, and a lot of furs, foams, easter eggs, soda bottles, and combinations of them all I FINALLY found a NO WIND NOISE solution. Audio-Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone mounted right under the trunk opening above the rear bumper, seen with blue tape in the video.

I wish I didn't film it in the low res mode (but 120fps for slow mo which I will be posting soon). Also, the lower right arm is attached with a "finished the night before" tow hook adapter which is heavy duty as fuck (cost was $$$.$$ for the first one made by a machine shop), which prevents and safeguards against any catastrophic failure. Unfortunately I didn't align the camera angle and tighten the corresponding ball joint, so you don't see very far ahead of the car like in my previous shoots and the camera also moved around.

No biggie. The video came out smooth, and sound is dead on.

Before each run, I gave the setup a good shake before heading out. Before heading out on my third run, I must have pulled on it too hard, because the bottom left arm lost suction. The other 2 arms held everything up perfectly as it came off the bumper. It didn't help that the rear bumper was so dirty I couldn't get suction on it again, so I took it off. The dual suction cup attachment points I'm using are designed for a flat surface, and the corner of my back bumper is not that. This is why it was over-stressed. To prevent this from happening again, I will clean the bumper better before applying, and design flexibility into the lower left bumper attachment point. I'm confident that I will never run into that issue again once that is re-designed, and will do extensive testing before bringing it to the autocross again.