ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M COUPE

Garage List
Wire Colors ?

Anyone know the colours of the wires either in the main harness to the lights and dimmer switch or the one going to the gauge panel??

Want a hot 12v when switched on and the lead from the dimmer to go to a light in the boost gauge so that it will dim with the rest of them - if possible
Attached Images

2006 M COUPE - 380 total production, 1 of 40Imola Red produced for NA , ESS 455 Supercharger, Speedhut Gauges, VPM CLS wheels, 19" Hancooks, Stromung Exhaust, Carbon fibre accessories and black and white badging,
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 06:38 AM   #2
ssummers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

You will find the info on here somewhere, I found it when I was doing the sound system install. I don't have the thread sub'd or I would post it.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I did a search and only found that some state all BMW's have wiring that is similar Grey/REd is dimmed power / depending on the amperage of the fused link - I will probably cut some or remove the connector and check the pins - then I will let everyone else know - it is so easy to get the gauges out and if you are mounting any electrical stuff anywhere near or above the dash -it is the easiest access point
2006 M COUPE - 380 total production, 1 of 40Imola Red produced for NA , ESS 455 Supercharger, Speedhut Gauges, VPM CLS wheels, 19" Hancooks, Stromung Exhaust, Carbon fibre accessories and black and white badging,
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
ssummers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

This link:

http://www.billswebspace.com/MZ4Subw...stallation.htm

Was in this thread:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=768792

There are some wire color references there, I can dig through others, it took me some time to go through a lot of threads, it is there somewhere, just need to invest some time. Sorry that's all I have...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thanks!

Went to : http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r.../e85/index.htm

and with JAVA you can download any one you want
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Good info to remember if behind dash looking for wiring

Here is a great bit of info and I can confirm that two of the colours are correct!!

Brown is ground
- it is uncovered and stripped in the bundle going to the gauges

Grey and Red
is a dimmer power 12 V - same as dash lights - will go up and down with wheel on dash. IT is stripped a bit in the bundle going to the switch and dimmer wheel.

If you are trying to decypher BMW wiring diagrams, it's rather essential to realise that:

BL=blue
BR=brown
GE=yellow
GN=green
GR=grey
OR=orange
RT=red
SW=black
VI=violet
WS=white

Some advice I received a long time ago from wiring guru Ron Styger of Unoffical BMW fame:

In general, a solid red wire is hot at all times.
A red wire with any color stripe is hot at all times after a fuse.
In general, a solid green wire is hot in run and start.
A green wire with any color stripe is hot in run and start after a fuse.
In general, a solid violet wire is hot in accessory, run and start.
A violet wire with any color stripe is hot in accessory, run and start after a fuse.
In general, brown is ground.
Gray with a red stripe is dimmed lighting.
I can't vouch for any of it myself, but Tim generally knows that of which he speaks. Hope it helps!
--
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Do any of these BMW schematics help: http://www.shipkiller.com/Various_Lighting_Harness.html
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thanks a lot - I do have a lot of them - the problem is that the power goes into the switch and dimmer and goes through a bunch of circuit boards and gets re-arranged and comes back out and goes all over the place. Its tough to get at them and no hope of trying to follow any of them,

So - knowing that any grey,red wire is a dim control 2v-12v+ makes it a lot easier - NOW _ check it for sure with a volt meter as I did before you wire anything in.

The Green with any coloured stripe is hot with run and on so thats the main power to the gauge as it is also fused. May put connectors on the wires to if I have to pull the gauge I don't have to cut the wires to take it off.
Appreciate 0