ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-16-2013, 05:14 AM   #1
330indy
CCA member
 
330indy's Avatar
 
Drives: e46 + e92
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Indy

Posts: 869
iTrader: (0)

Z4M for M3?

What do you think? Sell the z4M-r for an M3? I think I may need that S65 before it goes the way of the Dodo.
Or do you think it would be a disappointment? I have driven a sedan and it was a beast. With my three youngsters, thinking the two seater may need to go.
Thoughts?
__________________
V8 M3 in the barn

E46 330i 2002: DD; Z4M 2006- sold; E39 530i 2001- sold; E36 325iC 1994- sold
330indy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 06:27 AM   #2
mickfo
Private
 
mickfo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Z4MC
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SE Pennsylvania

Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

Are you thinking coupe or vert?

My Dad just got a vert m3 (I helped talk him into it) and is in love with it. The engine is a beast but the vert is REALLY heavy. At 4170 lbs. the vert weighs the same as my jeep liberty (my dd), but it fits him well. I'm sure the coupe (400 lbs lighter, but still pretty heavy) would kill ours in power if thats what you're looking for, but the vert doesn't feel as fast.

That said, it is an absolutely beautiful car and the look of that car with the top up is just as sick as the top down...work of art.

Hope that gives some insight if any.
mickfo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
elwesso
Second Lieutenant
 
elwesso's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Indiana

Posts: 286
iTrader: (1)

Depends what you're looking for... IMO the M3 is more like an American car with "european" handling.. In other words, it's overweight but makes up for it in brute power.. Also has lots of techno-goodies.. The M3 isn't going to be as well balanced

The Z4 M, although, is probably BMW's last simple, true sports car. Not a lot of fancy gadgetry, DSG transmission, etc...

What year M3 are you looking at, brand new? If you were, I'd *highly* consider this over an M3..



Talk about one hell of a grocery getter! I had a 2005 CTS-V and I loved it (liked it more than an 07 M5 I drove), so I could only imagine what another 100+ HP would be like.
elwesso is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
330indy
CCA member
 
330indy's Avatar
 
Drives: e46 + e92
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Indy

Posts: 869
iTrader: (0)

I am considering a bare bones coupe, not a vert, manual tranny, no nav, just basic car...
and it is still listing at $62+K
I know it will be heavier.
I am not sure about the new M3 styling with the blunt nose/ pedestrian safety in the styling.

the other downside is a payment again.
I go through this at the end of lifecycle with the NA engines. One reason I snapped up the M Roadster.
__________________
V8 M3 in the barn

E46 330i 2002: DD; Z4M 2006- sold; E39 530i 2001- sold; E36 325iC 1994- sold
330indy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
1love
Back in a V8!
 
1love's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MO

Posts: 526
iTrader: (0)

Im thinking about a used M3 (09+ due to new Nav) to add to the M in a year or 2 when prices get into solid mid-30s. I personally like the E90M for a little practicality but that car doesn't have the raw feeling of the E85/86.
__________________
///E92 M3
Missed- Z4M | C6 GS | E46 M3 PY | STI

Last edited by 1love; 01-16-2013 at 09:29 AM.
1love is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
 
thekurgan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 2,671
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
E9x M3 has been sweet. I do miss the E86M, but for practicality sake, you can't go wrong with having a back seat to go along with the power. The S65 makes some amazing sounds and has some great technology within it. If you want the updated nav, then yes, find an '09. For me, I was going for the lowest mileage with the best equipment.
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes
thekurgan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Nate2046
Lieutenant
 
Nate2046's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 e92M
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indianapolis, In

Posts: 403
iTrader: (2)

I made the switch from from my 07 e86M to an '11 e92M and have no regrets. I loved my MCoupe but after 4 years and 46k miles, I was ready to try something different. As you mentioned the s65 is just an incredible engine, made even more so by the M Performance exhaust on my car. They are very, very different cars, but if you're ready to make a switch I certainly don't think you'd be disappointed by the e92. My one thought on the DCT/MT decision is don't rule out the DCT without driving one. I only test drove a DCT because that happened to be what was available locally. After one test drive, I had to have it, the technology and driving experience had me hooked and I'm a lifelong MT driver. Good luck with your decision

People kept coming up to the Coupe in front of the showroom while we worked the deal. It was hard to see it go.

Nate2046 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
headshrinker
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 M3, 2008 Z4MC
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Columbia SC

Posts: 16
iTrader: (0)

My inclination would be to keep the M roadster and also get the M3. Things like food, electricity, and a kid's education are overrated at best!! Seriously, to mirror Nate's comments, the two are very different cars and both fantastic in their own ways. You can't go wrong with either and trying to choose between two M version BMWs is a pretty good problem to have...
headshrinker is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #9
SD Z4MR
Blue Bimmers Rule!
 
SD Z4MR's Avatar
 
Drives: '06 Z4 M Rdstr | '11 335is E92
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 652
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrinker View Post
My inclination would be to keep the M roadster and also get the M3. Things like food, electricity, and a kid's education are overrated at best!! Seriously, to mirror Nate's comments, the two are very different cars and both fantastic in their own ways. You can't go wrong with either and trying to choose between two M version BMWs is a pretty good problem to have...
This is actually what I'm planning to do.

We did European Delivery on my wife's 335is Coupe in May 2011. This was such a fantastic experience that we just have to do it again. At the time I had a 2000 S2000, bought new and long since paid off, and it was just a matter of figuring out what car I would want that we could go and pick up in Munich. I was pretty sure I wanted an M, but an E92 M3 would be too similar to my wife's car, an M5 was out of the question, and we needed to space out the purchases a few years anyway. Of course I was never going to sell the S2000, I would probably just lease the new car for 3 years and turn it back in, but I'd always have the S2000.

In the meantime I saw and drove a Z4 M Roadster, fell in love with that, bought one, and sold my S2000. That will probably push the ED out a couple more years, but I don't plan on selling the Roadster.

Now with the new M4 that seems like a likely prospect and the timing will probably work just right for European Delivery in May/June of 2016. Of course, now there's rumors of an M2, the Z2 has been revived again and maybe there would be a Z2 M, but we've got at least 2-3 years to find out.
__________________
Mine: 2006 Z4 Roadster | Interlagos Blue Metallic | Black Extended Nappa Leather | Carbon Leather Trim | Premium | Navigation | Heated Seats | iPod Adapter | Purchased 7/19/12
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | Premium | Convenience | Heated Seats | Navigation | Harmon Kardon | iPod/USB | European Delivery 5/12/11

SD Z4MR is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #10
330indy
CCA member
 
330indy's Avatar
 
Drives: e46 + e92
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Indy

Posts: 869
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate2046 View Post
I made the switch from from my 07 e86M to an '11 e92M and have no regrets. I loved my MCoupe but after 4 years and 46k miles, I was ready to try something different. As you mentioned the s65 is just an incredible engine, made even more so by the M Performance exhaust on my car. They are very, very different cars, but if you're ready to make a switch I certainly don't think you'd be disappointed by the e92. My one thought on the DCT/MT decision is don't rule out the DCT without driving one. I only test drove a DCT because that happened to be what was available locally. After one test drive, I had to have it, the technology and driving experience had me hooked and I'm a lifelong MT driver. Good luck with your decision

People kept coming up to the Coupe in front of the showroom while we worked the deal. It was hard to see it go.

hmmmm, so.... D&R gave you a workable deal?
Tell me more, if you care to share. I am very interested in how that worked out...
I have a feeling I will have to order a basic M3 from Germany.
__________________
V8 M3 in the barn

E46 330i 2002: DD; Z4M 2006- sold; E39 530i 2001- sold; E36 325iC 1994- sold
330indy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #11
Nate2046
Lieutenant
 
Nate2046's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 e92M
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indianapolis, In

Posts: 403
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy View Post
hmmmm, so.... D&R gave you a workable deal?

Excuse me while I pick myself up from the floor.

Seriously, I have absolutely nothing against Dreyer & Reinbold but I don't see myself ever being able to work a deal with them. I know one of this boards members bought his e86M there but that was after it had sat for 6 months and the price had gone down from $52995 to a market correct value. This was in 2008 and I had just bought my '07 with 4k miles for $14k less! D&R did have a reasonably priced e92 this past year when I was looking but it was older ('08) than I was looking for. The car that I test drove locally was at Carmax, of all places, and thats the one that got me hooked on the DCT.

I found my car at Isringhausen in Sprinfield, IL and I had a good experience there. My car is an '11 fairly loaded up ($78k sticker), 7k miles at the time, and they had it priced at $59.9k. That was about $3k or so under what most dealers were asking around the country. They started at about $37.5k difference. I wanted around $25k for my car and to pay $58k for theirs so countered with $33k. Cue, the Sales Manager to explain to me for 15 minutes why that was impossible. I thanked them for their time and started to get up to leave and thats when we started negotiating for real. Ended up at a diff of $35k which was realistic for trade value of my car and still a discount off their asking price. I love working car deals
Nate2046 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2013, 06:08 AM   #12
elwesso
Second Lieutenant
 
elwesso's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Indiana

Posts: 286
iTrader: (1)

I never understood why dealers tend to not negotiate especially on sports cars during the off season. Before I found my Z4M, I was looking at a '11 370Z that was still brand new (400 miles).. They had it listed for 38k, and they offered me 34,6k.. I offered them 32k, and they looked at me like I was stupid. I knew in my head that this car was gonna be sitting on their lot until probably this coming March or so, so I walked. I explained to them that it was completely stupid for me to pay 35k for that car when I could go get '10-'11 CPO cars for 26k with under 20k miles, but they didn't budge. Needless to say, a couple weeks ago they called me back trying to negotiate again.

Seems like when working with dealers is being in the right place at the right time. I did very little negotiating on my Z4 M as the price was already good, and they wanted to get rid of it ASAP. I'm certainly glad I paid 10k less for the Z4, as it's arguably a better car overall than te Z anyway.
elwesso is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #13
Swashplate
Major
 
Swashplate's Avatar
 
Drives: in Anger.
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kirkland, WA

Posts: 1,179
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2007 BMW M Coupe'  [0.00]
1968 Ford Mustang  [0.00]
That M3 V8 sounds soooo good. I think that will be the partner to the coupe. I need something more practical....
__________________
Gone (2006 STI, 2008 EVO MR)
AFE Intake/Euro Cats/CSL Headers/Sportline CSL/H&R Springs
1217/1815
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Swashplate is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #14
330indy
CCA member
 
330indy's Avatar
 
Drives: e46 + e92
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Indy

Posts: 869
iTrader: (0)

I think I want a four door so I think I will wait for the new one.... Especially if it has a wider stance and is lighter
__________________
V8 M3 in the barn

E46 330i 2002: DD; Z4M 2006- sold; E39 530i 2001- sold; E36 325iC 1994- sold
330indy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #15
mpm3
Captain
 
mpm3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 M coupe
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 814
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2007 BMW M coupe  [5.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy View Post
What do you think? Sell the z4M-r for an M3? I think I may need that S65 before it goes the way of the Dodo.
Or do you think it would be a disappointment? I have driven a sedan and it was a beast. With my three youngsters, thinking the two seater may need to go.
Thoughts?
I came out of a M3 s65 into an M coupe...just feels raw DO NOT get me wrong the M3 is the best daily i have ever owned but the M coupe is more fun hands down more looks rare going to be worth more in a year etc.
__________________
mpm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #16
03BeastCharmer
Major
 
03BeastCharmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 03 M5, '13 & 97 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston

Posts: 1,408
iTrader: (2)

I sold my M Coupe a year ago for an E92 M3. I miss the steering ratio and light and darty nature of the coupe, buy I love ///M V8s and the added space. I haven't taken the M3 to the track yet, but at M school it was just as capable as my M Coupe so I have faith it will do great as well. If your roady is just a weekend fun car I'd stock with it, but if you use it regularly and think you'll need more room soon because of the kids, I'd make the switch.
__________________

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Wife's: E39 M5, E36 M3
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3
03BeastCharmer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #17
3002 tii
Major General
 
3002 tii's Avatar
 
Drives: flat out
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NNJ

Posts: 8,100
iTrader: (44)

Garage List
I haven't driven the new m, only rode shotgun at the track with an instructor. Instructor previously owned a z4m coupe and he said the m coupe was much harder to drive at the limits. The m3 was far easier to control when the back end gets loose.
__________________

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos
3002 tii is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #18
330indy
CCA member
 
330indy's Avatar
 
Drives: e46 + e92
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Indy

Posts: 869
iTrader: (0)

after reading quite a bit about the all-new M3 engine, honestly it makes me want the S65 more!
My M-R is in fact a fair weather car.
Perhaps I will trade the e46 for the e9x M.
I wish I had a four car garage! that would solve everything! haha
__________________
V8 M3 in the barn

E46 330i 2002: DD; Z4M 2006- sold; E39 530i 2001- sold; E36 325iC 1994- sold
330indy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #19
Nuge Design
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 AW CP
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Indy

Posts: 203
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate2046 View Post

Excuse me while I pick myself up from the floor.

Seriously, I have absolutely nothing against Dreyer & Reinbold but I don't see myself ever being able to work a deal with them. I know one of this boards members bought his e86M there but that was after it had sat for 6 months and the price had gone down from $52995 to a market correct value. This was in 2008 and I had just bought my '07 with 4k miles for $14k less! D&R did have a reasonably priced e92 this past year when I was looking but it was older ('08) than I was looking for. The car that I test drove locally was at Carmax, of all places, and thats the one that got me hooked on the DCT.

I found my car at Isringhausen in Sprinfield, IL and I had a good experience there. My car is an '11 fairly loaded up ($78k sticker), 7k miles at the time, and they had it priced at $59.9k. That was about $3k or so under what most dealers were asking around the country. They started at about $37.5k difference. I wanted around $25k for my car and to pay $58k for theirs so countered with $33k. Cue, the Sales Manager to explain to me for 15 minutes why that was impossible. I thanked them for their time and started to get up to leave and thats when we started negotiating for real. Ended up at a diff of $35k which was realistic for trade value of my car and still a discount off their asking price. I love working car deals
Nate2046,
I just about had a heart attack when I read this post as I recently traded my '11 AW e92 to Isringhausen. But based on your description, it's not mine. As a shameless plug, I have a bunch of aftermarket items for sale at this link. I'll work with you on numbers if you have any interest.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=785463

330indy,
I've had two really good experiences with D&R. Really depends on your sales person I suppose. I would highly recommend Dave Lazerov. Also, and more on topic, I still have my M Roadster and the difference between that the e92 M3 is pretty huge. Let's just say you won't be board with the M3. Yes it's bigger and heavier... but it's another level of fun for sure. It'd be cool if you could find one to test drive. I could almost go out on a limb and say you don't need to... I'd vote for a manual as I like the evolvement. The DTC is amazing... kinda like a video game and I was afraid I'd get bored with it over the long haul.

They are both great cars, but if I could only have one, I'd go with the e9X M3.
Good luck!
Nuge Design is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #20
mbetoni
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2014 Z435is
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 276
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate2046 View Post
I only test drove a DCT because that happened to be what was available locally. After one test drive, I had to have it, the technology and driving experience had me hooked and I'm a lifelong MT driver.
This. Depending on your needs, from a pure car standpoint the DCT is THE thing that puts the M3 over the top. Agree with everything said re: the Z4 being a pure, relatively simple, very engaging sports car that's boatloads of fun to drive. 100% agree. However, that DCT is like crystal meth and crack cocaine in one shot. Holy glory is it addictive. I couldn't imagine considering a new M3 over a Z4M without it. And, another life-long MT driver/enthusiast here, fwiw.
mbetoni is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #21
b0bab0i
Captain
 
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 964
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwesso View Post
Depends what you're looking for... IMO the M3 is more like an American car with "european" handling.. In other words, it's overweight but makes up for it in brute power.. Also has lots of techno-goodies.. The M3 isn't going to be as well balanced

The Z4 M, although, is probably BMW's last simple, true sports car. Not a lot of fancy gadgetry, DSG transmission, etc...

What year M3 are you looking at, brand new? If you were, I'd *highly* consider this over an M3..



Talk about one hell of a grocery getter! I had a 2005 CTS-V and I loved it (liked it more than an 07 M5 I drove), so I could only imagine what another 100+ HP would be like.
I would disagree. American cars have high HP & High TQ. M3 has neither of each.
b0bab0i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 11:01 PM   #22
Endless619
DHS
 
Endless619's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw x5, m3, Acura TL
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Disneyland

Posts: 3,919
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy View Post
What do you think? Sell the z4M-r for an M3? I think I may need that S65 before it goes the way of the Dodo.
Or do you think it would be a disappointment? I have driven a sedan and it was a beast. With my three youngsters, thinking the two seater may need to go.
Thoughts?
I wouldnt trade for an E46 M3 coupe or vert. Thats just me.

I moved over from Z4MC to E92 M3 and honestly just keep your Z4. For me it cost another $10k to get the car looking halfway decent, so save your money. Also I am one of the many that think DCT is utter garbage. Been there done that and not a fan of the auto tragic. Go MT or stay with your Z4. The M3 should have been like the S2000. 3 pedals and leave it at that. We dont need posers that cant drive MT driving the same car. JUST LIKE THE S2000. Sorry for venting but I am not a fan of it.
Endless619 is offline   Spain
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 AM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST