ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
 
Alexander's Avatar
 
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deal's Gap

Posts: 2,472
iTrader: (0)

Ticking/ Knocking? Video Included

Guys I've only had my Z4 for about a month now, and yesterday while in a drive through lane I noticed loud ticking noise/ maybe knocking.

Details:
'07 3.0i
36k miles
Oil changed with Mobil 1 0W40 w/ Mann filter a month ago.
^ Oil level good.
I use Tier I 93 octane gas.
Car was semi-warm each time. Fully warmed up per the gauge, but about 40F outside with only a few miles driven since cold.

What do you guys think is going on?

Or is this normal? As I said I've only owned it for a month.



Alexander is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
 
Alexander's Avatar
 
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deal's Gap

Posts: 2,472
iTrader: (0)



^ Ok sounds like I have the infamous N52 valve tick. Video poster above claims BMW's improved head fixed the issue.

Is there any TSBs for this issue? Would BMW be willing to perform it out of warranty?

Is the valve ticking harmful, or is it just apart of the design?

Anything to help it? Different oil, additive, etc?
Alexander is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
baege
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, CAnada

Posts: 281
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander View Post


^ Ok sounds like I have the infamous N52 valve tick. Video poster above claims BMW's improved head fixed the issue.

Is there any TSBs for this issue? Would BMW be willing to perform it out of warranty?

Is the valve ticking harmful, or is it just apart of the design?

Anything to help it? Different oil, additive, etc?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13504

Enjoy!
baege is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
 
Alexander's Avatar
 
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deal's Gap

Posts: 2,472
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
Yeah thanks.

Anyone have cliffs?

Can I keep driving on it, or do I need to replace the head?

Anyone find any back yard fixes? Additives? Oil? Valve cleaning?

EDIT: My BMW tech just said it is fine, it is just an aesthetic issue. No harm, just apart of the design.

So from what I have surmised is highway miles will quiet it down, as will warmer weather.
Alexander is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2012, 02:31 AM   #5
santov
Lieutenant
 
santov's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bay Area, Calif

Posts: 483
iTrader: (8)

My service manager was pretty cool. He said BMW's first step was to replace the lifters with ones that had small valleys so the oil could drain back out.

They did that, but the engine became a little clacky.

If the customer still complains you get a new head and valve assembly. When the problem started dealers were ordering heads and billing BMW back for huge labor fees to tear the engine down and rebuild it. BMW came out with a head kit pretty damn fast that has new head, valve assembly, etc.

I'd suggest get the updated lifters, wait a couple weeks and then go back and demand the rebuild kit. It may require a little complaining/cage rattling, but it's worth it. From the oil fill cap you can see all the pretty new parts.
santov is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-24-2012, 01:14 AM   #6
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
 
Alexander's Avatar
 
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deal's Gap

Posts: 2,472
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by santov View Post
My service manager was pretty cool. He said BMW's first step was to replace the lifters with ones that had small valleys so the oil could drain back out.

They did that, but the engine became a little clacky.

If the customer still complains you get a new head and valve assembly. When the problem started dealers were ordering heads and billing BMW back for huge labor fees to tear the engine down and rebuild it. BMW came out with a head kit pretty damn fast that has new head, valve assembly, etc.

I'd suggest get the updated lifters, wait a couple weeks and then go back and demand the rebuild kit. It may require a little complaining/cage rattling, but it's worth it. From the oil fill cap you can see all the pretty new parts.
I am out of warranty so I would have to do all the work myself.

I just drove a lot of highway for Thanksgiving, and threw in Pentosin valve cleaner. That quieted them down a lot.

My indi tech said don't worry about replacing the head, it is just a noise, not an actual pending mechanical failure.

I freaked out because typically tapping valves is a oh shit indicator.
Alexander is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
rkstar9
Private First Class
 
Drives: z4 2.5i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 121
iTrader: (0)

Have the same ticking on my car, It comes and goes not too worried about it.

From what I gather on that thread on e90 it's fixable by replacing a number of parts, this makes it unpractical even for dealerships so it only gets done if it really bothers you that much
rkstar9 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
 
Alexander's Avatar
 
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deal's Gap

Posts: 2,472
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkstar9 View Post
Have the same ticking on my car, It comes and goes not too worried about it.

From what I gather on that thread on e90 it's fixable by replacing a number of parts, this makes it unpractical even for dealerships so it only gets done if it really bothers you that much
It went away with Pentosin valve cleaner and 300 miles of highway driving.

Alexander is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 AM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST