ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
RecycledTeen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Looking for E85

Question HD Radio

Where's the HD Radio love? (Here or anywhere) Seems like the portable market for this has all but dried out, which kinds sucks b/c imho, for free over-the-air broadcast radio the quality is very, very good and it's commercial free.

I'm no audiophile by any means, so the factory setup (both appearance and sound) is adequate for my needs. Just looking for options using the stock "business cd" system but doesn't seem to be much jibber jabber on it. Obviously there's no tuner/antenna setup that would connect directly, so short of swapping head unit out, I was thinking maybe a simple portable device like the Insignia NS-HD01 connected to an aux input would work.

Anyone have a set up they went with that they are content with that could post up here? Or maybe head units with that capability you could recommend?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, 550i, X3

Garage List
I have the intravee 2 + alpine kca 420i + alpine tua-t550hd. seamlessly integrates with the factory navi, control ipod with steering wheel buttons. hd radio comes clean if you correctly piggyback off the factory antenna. best system for the z4 imo.
      11-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
RecycledTeen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Looking for E85

^ Thanks for that info. Sounds like a sweet setup except involves R&R components. Looking for a portable solution like the original XM Radio car kits but doesn't appear to be many options. Perhaps installing a new head unit with built-in HD is the best (and only?) recourse after all.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
tribe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 MZ4 Roadster

I have HD radio in my beater car, love it. Wish there was a clean & easy install for the Z4. The only aftermarket radio kits for the Z4 I've seen look pretty poor. The radio stick out from the dash in a very unattractive way.
Appreciate 0