ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Replacing Steering Wheels Spokes...help!

I have a new set of spokes and was able to replace the lower spoke easily. I am now stuck on the two side spokes. I removed the torx screws but it appears that not only holds the spoke together but holds the buttons on as well. Even after removing the screw, the spoke won't come off as the button component is in the middle (those of you who have removed these will know what I am talking about).

So, my question is, how do I get these off from here? I have read a thread about inserting a screwdriver into the holes on top and pushing in on some sort of spring to release one side of the airbag at a time and then removing the airbag to gain access but I cannot seem to feel any kind of spring and I don't want to continue poking around in there in case I cut a wire. Any advice??

Also, the button housings themselves are also scratched up and I would like to replace them but I cannot find a p/n for them anywhere including realoem.com. Has anyone also replaced these? If so, p/n ??

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
dschultz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Subscribed. This is in my future, too.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

This may help:

Disconnect the battery and wait 15 minutes before playing with the airbag.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Hmm, will try again tomorrow now that's I've seen the vid. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

The video is for an E46, I'm only assuming the Z4M is the same. I did this on my E46 and it was simple.

Let me know how you make out. My spokes and buttons are looking pretty ratty. Was thinking of trying the Dinoc film.

If you can post your experience (pics haha) removing the spokes, that would help me in the spring!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Sport

Vid is correct for pulling the airbag off on the Z4. One spring clip on each side access through the holes behind the spokes. I used a small phillips screwdriver that fit the holes perfectly and hit the springs with no problem. I ended up not even disconnecting the wires to the airbag. I wasn't taking off the steering wheel and there was enough slack in the wiring harness for me to pass it though the steeing wheel and let it rest while I worked on the spoke covers.

After the air bag is off I didn't have any problem getting the side spokes off. Just remember to disconnect the battery before messing with the air bag so you don't set an airbag fault code.

I wrapped my spokes in a 3d carbon fiber vinyl and they look a lot better. Should have come from the factory like this. Wrapped a few things to accent the interior.

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
I changed all mine out without removing the airbag, it can be done. I'll look at mine and see if I can remember how I did the side spokes.

John
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

@pmmjarrett, that looks really good! I was thinking of doing the same.

Do you have to remove the pieces that you want to wrap (ie: all the trim that you did on your car, did you have to remove it first??) I'd like to do the spokes and button covers like you did. If you have to remove the button covers to get the film on it, is it obvious to do so?

Is the stuff you used the 3M "Dinoc" film? (http://autovinylsolutions.com/3M_108...Fc5cMgodCnUAVw)

Is it easy enough to work with? I don't have any detailing experience per se.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnmra View Post
@pmmjarrett, that looks really good! I was thinking of doing the same.

Do you have to remove the pieces that you want to wrap (ie: all the trim that you did on your car, did you have to remove it first??) I'd like to do the spokes and button covers like you did. If you have to remove the button covers to get the film on it, is it obvious to do so?

Is the stuff you used the 3M "Dinoc" film? (http://autovinylsolutions.com/3M_108...Fc5cMgodCnUAVw)

Is it easy enough to work with? I don't have any detailing experience per se.
Thank you. It's a pretty dramatic change. My wood was showing some bad cracking on both the dash and console and I wasn't gonna fork over $1k to BMW for new trim. Now the wrap hides the cracks but you can still see where they were a bit.

What I am using is NOT Dinoc. It's a textured Chinese wrap that I import. I have enough of this stuff in the shop right now to wrap the whole car 5 or 6 times. Mabey I should wrap my house LOL.

I removed everything I wrapped and recommend it so you can tuck the edges and not cut into stuff you don't want to cut into, like leather, with the razor when trimming it up.

I think it's pretty easy to work with and the stuff with air drain channels makes for a nice easy bubble free installation. The part with the buttons on the steering wheel was prolly the biggest PITA part I did. Plenty of vids on youtube showing how to install wraps. Just make sure the parts you are wrapping are very clean and dry. My experience for ease will be greatly different than some though as I was a bodyman back 25+ years ago and still dabble a bit in it from time to time... As well as I have more tools than Tim "the toolman" Taylor too LOL

Before

After

I took every piece I wrapped apart as far as I could to get the best look possible.

To take off the console trim, you have to take out the entire console.

On the door handle you can see how I tucked the edges and trimmed.

I even took off the handles to wrap them so you wouldn't see any tan when pushing opening the storage door.

Started playing with it a bit on the exterior, was interested on how these pieces would look wrapped vs painted body color as I'm right in the middle of prepping the car for paint.

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #10
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

I am generally not a big fan of the CF look...I like things to look OEM... but this does look pretty cool! Great job!!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
Jony722si
The Wrapgician
Canada
Rep
Drives: z4si

Garage List
2006 BMW z4  [0.00]
2009 Bmw 135I  [0.00]
2022 BMW M4C  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
I hope you havent get your car wrap in chinese wrap film... you will 100% regret. it stick not well, peel after high temp from sun light, it would damaged your from removing the film off. 3m 1080 isnt that expensive compare to these cons.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Found another vid, this one from a Z4. Followed it and used a T20 screwdriver to push the springs in...piece of cake! Didn't even disconnect the airbag.

I now have the spokes and buttons replaced...looks awesome again!
Appreciate 0