ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
mike519
Captain

Drives: 2006 Z4MR Sepang

Ticking

Hi all,

Picked up my new M today and drove it 400 miles to Buffalo. Will cross the border tomorrow.

After the engine was good and warm, I noticed a ticking noise while driving once the rpm got up to around 3k. I don't believe Inspection I was done (it has 28k on it) so am assuming it just needs a valve adjustment.

Thoughts?
mike519 is offline   Canada
      11-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
No_Dominion
Private First Class

Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike519 View Post
Hi all,

Picked up my new M today and drove it 400 miles to Buffalo. Will cross the border tomorrow.

After the engine was good and warm, I noticed a ticking noise while driving once the rpm got up to around 3k. I don't believe Inspection I was done (it has 28k on it) so am assuming it just needs a valve adjustment.

Thoughts?
Could be that, could be VANOS noise, could be something else. If you can post a good sound clip I'm sure some of the gurus on here could chime in and help narrow it down. In the meantime, search YouTube for VANOS noise clips, there are some pretty decent examples on there.
      11-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
GammaZeta
Captain

Drives: 1

Welcome to the world of the S54 engine. Coming from an S52, the S54 engine is much more mechanical sounding with ticks, etc., very noticeable.

More than likely nothing, but you can have a qualified mechanic check it out and then you will know what noise is normal and what is not.
      11-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
No_Dominion
Private First Class

Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
Welcome to the world of the S54 engine. Coming from an S52, the S54 engine is much more mechanical sounding with ticks, etc., very noticeable.

More than likely nothing, but you can have a qualified mechanic check it out and then you will know what noise is normal and what is not.
I remember when I first started hearing and noticing all the noises the S54 makes when I first got the car, I was pretty worried until I found out that is just it's nature. Now I kind of like how unique it is.
      11-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
GammaZeta
Captain

Drives: 1

Also, you probably should have had a pre-purchase inspection done prior to purchasing it.
      11-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
mike519
Captain

I had it out myself...I know what I am looking for. There was no noise and wasn't today either until I had been driving it for at least a half hour. That's what makes me think valves.
Upcoming - Vanos rebuild, Coilovers, SSK
      11-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
Mirko
Lieutenant

Drives: Z4M

Stop by oneday after work and I can take a listen. This engine is noisy and can drive you nuts thinking something is wrong. lol

Do you have enough oil, too much? Take a look at the level.
Mirko is offline   Canada
      11-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
mike519
Captain

Will do Mirko. Will pm later
      11-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
mike519
Captain

Dealership definitely thinks its valves.
      11-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
dubsesd
Colonel

Drives: Z4M coupe / X5 35d LCI /F150

What's the mileage in? Miles or km? If its miles it's most likely valves
2006 ///M Coupe TiAg / IR -- H&R coilovers/RPI exhaust/ZHP knob/19" Morr MS52 ONE hand brushed & polished/Stoptech 355mm 6/4 BBK/Turner strut bar/polished diagonal braces/m tower caps/tekarbon 2x2 coil cover/Michelin PSS/gloss black kidneys/painted gloss black roof/mstache 2 front lip/AFE dry intake/RPI forced induction/colormatch corners/black chrome //M badges/rear diffuser/aeroskirts/carbon sideskirt extentions/rogue mounts/DKF adjustable hangers/22%tint/euromode lighting/LED interior & plate lighting
      11-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #11
mike519
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd
What's the mileage in? Miles or km? If its miles it's most likely valves
28,500 miles. I don't think Inspection 1 was done so definitely feel its valves...so did the tech.
      11-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #12
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M roadster

FWIW I purchased my new-to-me 2007 Z4 MR with 22k miles in late summer of this year. I complained of the same "ticking" noise - you can check my previous posts. I took it to a terrific independent shop, as well as the BMW dealer, and asked them about the ticking. They both said it's typical of the M/Vanos. The independent shop said if I wanted to get the valves adjusted in spring of 2013, they'd be happy to do it for ~$600 or $700. The BMW dealer told me to just stick with the maintenance schedule reminder. I think I'm going to have the indy shop do the valves in '13, along with possibly putting on a new, meaner exhaust. I miss the sound of a rumbling V8...need to get closer to it. I digress...!
      11-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #13
ncnmra
Private First Class

Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Hey Mike, welcome to the M world! I know you organized a Niagara tour a while back, I couldn't make it but maybe we can try for that some time in the spring again?! Would love to meet some "local" Z4M owners. I've seen two in London (one a silver, exactly like mine), but only once.

I think you commented on servicing yours at a local indie, let me know how you make out with that. I'm planning on taking mine to RMP in the spring for inspection I and SSK install.
ncnmra is offline   Canada
      11-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #14
elerner61
Lieutenant

Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

General consensus is that given the mileage on your car you should have the valves & Inspection I done. While you're at it you might want to have the VANOS tabs and bolts inspected. You're also right around the corner from 30K so you may want to do the transmission and diff. fluid. Just thinking ahead for you.