ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-10-2012, 11:49 PM   #1
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

Question Fault Code Help!

I got a "93B4 - Driver Airbag Stage II" code. SRS light is constantly on. Anyone know where to investigate? I've cleared the code a few times but it's back on instantly. Will the airbag still work and ok to drive?

TIA,

Last edited by ZeD4Mr; 02-18-2013 at 07:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Bump.. Anyone. One garage says that I need to replace the steering wheel airbag? I didn't do anything and it just came on..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
partlowr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 Roadster

There were some wiring issues on Z4s that caused SRS lights to come on but to my knowledge it was isolated to passanger side airbags. BMW even extended the warranty on all cars affected for several extra years for SRS related issues. It has been talked about on this forum in the past, try using the search tool for details, I am posting from a mobile device right now otherwise I would search and post a link myself. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Yes, I know about the passenger seat sensor. Since the code indicated Driver side, I didn't even try to check the passenger side. I'll try that just to eliminate the possibility.

Still, Driver Side Stage II, do really sound like steering wheel airbag since there are 2 stages of explosion in your face depending on collision speed. Anyone have a suggestion before I hunt for a airbag?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Suggestion: Pull the steering wheel airbag and check its ground wires and all connectors. I says this as when I retrofitted my Si with a M-Sport wheel I ended up setting a similar fault - cause I forgot to tighten the ground wire nut.
I cleared it with a PA soft knockoff - something you may also want to look into. you can probably find it cheaper but here's a link - http://www.resettools.com/bmw_scanner_1.4.0

Once the fault sets it probably wont clear on its own. It could have just been intermittent.

Heres a link for steering wheel removal - its not too hard. http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...steering+wheel

Good Luck
2011 E93 335is - current fav
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Jstic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4 3.0i

Seat belt tensioner, or pre-tensioner? If there has been no accident or other physical trama to the car, I would look to SRS parts that are touched/used daily. This would lead me to the seat belt system, or the steering wheel. I make this statement based on no experience or other knowledge, just common sense.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
Clearancediver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

I had the seatbelt warning light come on and I thought it was the passenger seat sensor pad issue. BMW tech who worked on the car metered the wiring and found a voltage issue that was causing the fault. Issue was a dirty connector. He cleaned the connector and no further fault. So before I would go ripping out/replacing airbags or anything remotely close to that I'd go clean all the connections ...including those in the trunk where my dirty connection was located.

The Independant shop who read the codes originally said the codes indicated a seatbelt tensioner issue...for other reasons I suspected the seat and because I knew of the passenger seat pad issue I had it checked by BMW as a warranty issue on my 2004...
      02-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #8
centexE9x
Private
Rep
Drives: e9x coupe

Sounds like a clock spring issue. Not a common thing but I don't know if I've ever seen an airbag actually cause a fault. Usually the spring or the connectors themselves have 2 tabs that can brake off and cause shorted to ground faults.
Appreciate 0