ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-06-2013, 02:30 AM   #1
Jumbosock
Captain
 
Jumbosock's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 M coupe
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego

Posts: 759
iTrader: (0)

DIY rewiring Post Cat O2 sensors to Euro location

This is how I rerouted the post cat O2 sensors for my euro setup. Just wanted to post videos to help others who have never done it.






Sorry about the volume on part of this last video.
__________________

CSL headers*Euro cats*Arqray exhaust*DKF hangers*Evolve Tune*Genuine CSL rims*10mm Macht Schnell front spacers*modified Hamann bumper*Tekarbon 2X2 CF spoiler*Turner CF grills*AS SSK*KWV3*OEM Strut bar*Rogue RSM*Polyurethane anti-roll bar bushings*Deka ETX30L battery*Nav Video module*front & rear cameras*Ipod module*stubby antenna*R-Dash LED license lights*LED Ziza interior lights

Last edited by Jumbosock; 03-07-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Jumbosock is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2013, 03:02 AM   #2
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2006 M Roadster
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 1,655
iTrader: (2)

Great video, thanks for posting.

I roughly did the same thing, then covered the wiring in cloth tape so it would look clean. See my post here for a picture of the taped up wiring.

This will be really useful for those looking to do this mod.
__________________
beta is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
bmwschnell
Private
 
bmwschnell's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 Z4M coupe; '13 VW GTI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ohio

Posts: 56
iTrader: (2)

Great video. I'd been wondering how you do this for a while now, and this really helps. Have you done the third video showing the connection of the o2 sensors themselves? Will the wires reach all the way back? I'm interested in seeing how you mount the wires to the underside of the car.

Beta, I saw you pictures too and they look really nice. You said that the wiring isn't long enough to to reach. What did you do to make them long enough? How did you add more length? THANKS!
bmwschnell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
Geauxkart
Second Lieutenant
 
Geauxkart's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe Sepang
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Posts: 276
iTrader: (3)

There are clips under the heat shield to route the wires, I did not have to extend mine.
It's been 6 mos or so and no O2 codes.
Geauxkart is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2006 M Roadster
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 1,655
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwschnell View Post
Beta, I saw you pictures too and they look really nice. You said that the wiring isn't long enough to to reach. What did you do to make them long enough? How did you add more length? THANKS!
Almost exactly what he did in the video. Cut into the conduit somewhat to gain an extra 10cm (less than in the video), then wrapped it with bmw cloth tape so it looks perfect.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Geauxkart View Post
There are clips under the heat shield to route the wires, I did not have to extend mine.
It's been 6 mos or so and no O2 codes.
Mine didn't reach without extending. I do have them clipped in the stock locations. See my sig for pictures.
__________________
beta is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
Geauxkart
Second Lieutenant
 
Geauxkart's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe Sepang
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Posts: 276
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
Mine didn't reach without extending. I do have them clipped in the stock locations. See my sig for pictures.
I changed the factory routing a bit - on the lower part of the engine - where it transitions to the body, and it will work - and appears safe from damage / engine movement.
Geauxkart is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
bmwschnell
Private
 
bmwschnell's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 Z4M coupe; '13 VW GTI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ohio

Posts: 56
iTrader: (2)

Did either of you have to extend the EGT wire too, or was it long enough to reach the new location?
bmwschnell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
Geauxkart
Second Lieutenant
 
Geauxkart's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe Sepang
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Posts: 276
iTrader: (3)

Fine on the egt as well, no extension.
Geauxkart is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
bmwschnell
Private
 
bmwschnell's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 Z4M coupe; '13 VW GTI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ohio

Posts: 56
iTrader: (2)

Ok great! So last question. Once you unwrapped the sensor wires from the conduit, what did you use to cover them back up? Regular electrical tape, or something weatherproof? What type of clips did you have to get to clip them to the underside of the car?

Thanks guys! I'm looking to do this, and I want to make sure I do it right.
bmwschnell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
 
SCHMOUPE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: NJ

Posts: 1,580
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwschnell View Post
Ok great! So last question. Once you unwrapped the sensor wires from the conduit, what did you use to cover them back up? Regular electrical tape, or something weatherproof? What type of clips did you have to get to clip them to the underside of the car?

Thanks guys! I'm looking to do this, and I want to make sure I do it right.
So here is what you shouldnt do! Don't extend them by cutting into them. I did that and I get a pending fault for the heater circuit. I will be tearing the car up in a few weeks and replacing that O2 sensor! It is technically long enough but you have to take the heatshields off. I was too lazy to do that and now I am kicking myself
__________________
The Raspinator

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
SCHMOUPE is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
bmwschnell
Private
 
bmwschnell's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 Z4M coupe; '13 VW GTI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ohio

Posts: 56
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMOUPE View Post
So here is what you shouldnt do! Don't extend them by cutting into them. I did that and I get a pending fault for the heater circuit. I will be tearing the car up in a few weeks and replacing that O2 sensor! It is technically long enough but you have to take the heatshields off. I was too lazy to do that and now I am kicking myself
By cutting into them, I'm assuming you mean actually cutting the wires themselves and not cutting into the conduit as shown in the video?
bmwschnell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
 
SCHMOUPE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: NJ

Posts: 1,580
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwschnell View Post
By cutting into them, I'm assuming you mean actually cutting the wires themselves and not cutting into the conduit as shown in the video?
Correct, cutting the wire and soldering it longer. Others have had no issues by doing so and the fact that I am getting a circuit heater issue makes me think that I flip flopped the two heater wires. Could be an easy fix however I am planning on replacing the entire sensor wire
__________________
The Raspinator

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
SCHMOUPE is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #13
inTgr8r
Major General
 
inTgr8r's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 M Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto

Posts: 7,840
iTrader: (7)

definitely plan to keep mine in one piece.
__________________
Alpinweiss '07 M Coupe •DKF Section1•Eisenmann Sport-Ceramic Black•Fabspeed Headers•VRS Hyper-Narrow rear wing•Autosolutions SSK•APR splitter•Tekarbon headlights•StrongStrut STB•KW Clubsport•H&R ARBs c/w Turner Adj Links•Poly FCAB/RTAB•Volk Racing G2•Direzza ZII•Stoptech BBK•Vibra-Tech mtr mounts•
inTgr8r is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #14
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2006 M Roadster
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 1,655
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwschnell View Post
Ok great! So last question. Once you unwrapped the sensor wires from the conduit, what did you use to cover them back up? Regular electrical tape, or something weatherproof? What type of clips did you have to get to clip them to the underside of the car?

Thanks guys! I'm looking to do this, and I want to make sure I do it right.
BMW electrical cloth tape 61136902588

Although ECS shows that part as discontinued and suggests 61136902588

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Tape/ES2081139/

Interestingly tischer shows it at $1 which seems wrong, while ECS has it for 27 bucks which seems high but in the ballpark.
__________________
beta is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #15
bmwschnell
Private
 
bmwschnell's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 Z4M coupe; '13 VW GTI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ohio

Posts: 56
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
BMW electrical cloth tape 61136902588

Although ECS shows that part as discontinued and suggests 61136902588

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Tape/ES2081139/

Interestingly tischer shows it at $1 which seems wrong, while ECS has it for 27 bucks which seems high but in the ballpark.
Thanks guys! I think I have everything I need now. Just waiting to find the right set of headers and cat setup!

bmwschnell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #16
GriffBrew
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2006 M Roadster
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Orlando, FL

Posts: 222
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwschnell View Post
Thanks guys! I think I have everything I need now. Just waiting to find the right set of headers and cat setup!

Talk to Donovan
GriffBrew is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #17
bmwschnell
Private
 
bmwschnell's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 Z4M coupe; '13 VW GTI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ohio

Posts: 56
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffBrew View Post
Talk to Donovan
Thanks! I'm in the process of it now
bmwschnell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #18
Jumbosock
Captain
 
Jumbosock's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 M coupe
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego

Posts: 759
iTrader: (0)

Yes I did make a third and final video. I just uploaded it. The bank two o2 sensor wire is JUST long enough. It has just enough slack for me to be comfortable... it's not pulling anywhere and has a little give... yet there's not an inch more to spare.
__________________

CSL headers*Euro cats*Arqray exhaust*DKF hangers*Evolve Tune*Genuine CSL rims*10mm Macht Schnell front spacers*modified Hamann bumper*Tekarbon 2X2 CF spoiler*Turner CF grills*AS SSK*KWV3*OEM Strut bar*Rogue RSM*Polyurethane anti-roll bar bushings*Deka ETX30L battery*Nav Video module*front & rear cameras*Ipod module*stubby antenna*R-Dash LED license lights*LED Ziza interior lights

Last edited by Jumbosock; 03-07-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Jumbosock is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #19
bmwschnell
Private
 
bmwschnell's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 Z4M coupe; '13 VW GTI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ohio

Posts: 56
iTrader: (2)

Great video jumosock! I've been looking all over. I know you can buy o2 bungs from Turner, but where can you buy an EGT bung to weld into the stock s pipe?
bmwschnell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #20
bmwschnell
Private
 
bmwschnell's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 Z4M coupe; '13 VW GTI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ohio

Posts: 56
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbosock View Post
Yes I did make a third and final video. I just uploaded it. The bank two o2 sensor wire is JUST long enough. It has just enough slack for me to be comfortable... it's not pulling anywhere and has a little give... yet there's not an inch more to spare.
I've watched your video and I have most of the parts ready to do the reroute. I've looked everywhere for those clips you used to attach the o2 wires to the heat shield. 3 different parts stores didn't have them. Do you know where I can find them?
bmwschnell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #21
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2006 M Roadster
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 1,655
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwschnell View Post
Great video jumosock! I've been looking all over. I know you can buy o2 bungs from Turner, but where can you buy an EGT bung to weld into the stock s pipe?
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=813428

__________________
beta is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #22
donovan
Brigadier General
 
donovan's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 m3 AW, light package
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: le' Murica

Posts: 3,443
iTrader: (12)

Very interesting... for the M3 the wires unravel.
__________________


e46 m3 Black
Too many mods
donovan is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 AM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST