ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
gmd2003
Major
gmd2003's Avatar
17
Rep
1,401
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Had a great track day this weekend despite the heat, and made a new personal best at my home track Roebling Road of 1:24.1. I'll post up some links to some of the more interesting laps and a photo of the M . Lots of traffic this time so while not always the fastest laps,but it is enjoyable cutting through traffic. Got to play with a TTC prepped E36 M3 this time as well . Tested out my newest mod , a modified oil cooler from the E60 M5 . Basically same setup as stock just 12 rows versus 8. Kept my oil temps in the 210's-220 range despite the 94 degree heat 70% humidity and 20 minute track sessions, it also made my power much more consistent. I was able to hit the low 140's repeatedly on the front straight despite taking turn 9 the preceding turn to the front straight cautiously and breaking early at the 5 marker. http://youtu.be/n4kgw8oVNkY
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
ga41
Lieutenant
ga41's Avatar
Cyprus
4
Rep
447
Posts

 
Drives: Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Paphos

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
The car looks great with the diffuser and wheels! Not bad driving either. What model wheels are those anyway?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 05:01 AM   #3
pal
First Lieutenant
pal's Avatar
8
Rep
351
Posts

 
Drives: Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (1)

The approach rate to other cars is really fast - you must really be able to tell the difference in straight line acceleration. What was your pre-SC best time?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
gmd2003
Major
gmd2003's Avatar
17
Rep
1,401
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga41 View Post
The car looks great with the diffuser and wheels! Not bad driving either. What model wheels are those anyway?
Thanks!, The diffuser and the rear winglets actually have helped keep the rear more stable when I'm braking from 140's and in the high speed corners. The wheels are the Advan RS in hypersilver.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 07:08 AM   #5
gmd2003
Major
gmd2003's Avatar
17
Rep
1,401
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post
The approach rate to other cars is really fast - you must really be able to tell the difference in straight line acceleration. What was your pre-SC best time?
It's definitely a huge difference as an example my 60-130 acceleration time with two 0.5 second shifts with the supercharger is 10.5 seconds. But on this particular track it's more about your minimum corner speeds, if you keep them up you can even negate much of another cars hp advantage. My friend drives a S2000 with coilovers, and NT01's and runs it in the 1:22's with stock power. I'ts maybe a 1.5 second gain per lap b/c you can only use so much of the extra power. My minimum speeds where often times 5-10 mph faster than the other cars , start off at 90 mph vs others being at 80 in the corner before the straight and throw in the hp of the supercharger and you get teleportation lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #6
Mirko
Captain
Mirko's Avatar
Canada
6
Rep
619
Posts

 
Drives: Z4M, E90 328i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

Was it a simple bolt up for the E60 oil cooler? How much modification required? Please post up some pictures if you have them.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #7
gmd2003
Major
gmd2003's Avatar
17
Rep
1,401
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post
Was it a simple bolt up for the E60 oil cooler? How much modification required? Please post up some pictures if you have them.
It took custom brackets and custom A/N fittings for the braided oil lines . It definitely was a one off job that's why i was fortunate for someone else to have done it before. Here is the link to that build by Fluid Motorunion. They still had the schematics so they were able to whip another setup up for me.These pics are much better than mine but its the exact setup minus the extra power steering cooler that this guy set up. Best mod i have done so far will definitely greatly increase the life of my motor given the hard usage it sees. It also increases the oil capacity by almost a liter which helps reduce the work cycle of the oil as well as the obvious temp benefits.
http://www.fluidmotorunion.com/archives/8186
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #8
ZStig
Major General
101
Rep
7,244
Posts

 
Drives: VT2-525 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

iTrader: (3)

ESS's VT2 kit comes with an upgraded oil cooler that was very easy to install
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 01:49 AM   #9
Beedub
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
54
Rep
4,092
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
ESS's VT2 kit comes with an upgraded oil cooler that was very easy to install
this....

its a 21 row setrab unit and works VERY well!! if we ever wanted to upgrade it would be painfully easy., they use the same cooler for the Vt-550/600 kits so im pretty confident in it... keep oil temps perfect and recovery time is super quick!

it uses An lines with conversion block to use the stock connections, that part of the kit was really pretty nice.
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 01:51 AM   #10
Beedub
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
54
Rep
4,092
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

wel done OP the car looks FAST!!!
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #11
gmd2003
Major
gmd2003's Avatar
17
Rep
1,401
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
wel done OP the car looks FAST!!!
Thanks ! , here is the second session of the morning. The track got ridiculously hot and i definitely had to work harder to keep her shiny side up .



http://youtu.be/qbAbqJ8EC1k
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #12
gmd2003
Major
gmd2003's Avatar
17
Rep
1,401
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
ESS's VT2 kit comes with an upgraded oil cooler that was very easy to install
The guys at ESS had no interest in making the Setrab cooler setup for me without stage 2 . I have way more power than I can use on track as is, so add in the decreased reliability of higher boost under heavy track use i decided to go this route with the modified M5 oil cooler .
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #13
Beedub
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
54
Rep
4,092
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
The guys at ESS had no interest in making the Setrab cooler setup for me without stage 2 . I have way more power than I can use on track as is, so add in the decreased reliability of higher boost under heavy track use i decided to go this route with the modified M5 oil cooler .

fair enough..... vt1 was a great kit but i felt power really dropped off after a while of hard use, VT1 definitely felt the best balance for the car however.....
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #14
Punko
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
248
Posts

 
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hamilton, ON

iTrader: (2)

Great vid...corvette driver is a jerk...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #15
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Kgolf31's Avatar
39
Rep
3,360
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (3)

Nice video. What timer are you running?
__________________
12 128i Coupe - Project STX: TCKline l Active Autowerke l APEX l Vorshlag l Dunlop l Hawk l BMW Performance

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #16
gmd2003
Major
gmd2003's Avatar
17
Rep
1,401
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punko View Post
Great vid...corvette driver is a jerk...
Most Vette and Mustang guys think oh yeah but I'll get them on the straight, apparently me being glued to his bumper in every turn , coming out of every turn and repeatedly pulling beside him and having to let off on the straight wasn't strong enough of a hint that I was faster
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #17
gmd2003
Major
gmd2003's Avatar
17
Rep
1,401
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Nice video. What timer are you running?
Thanks, it is the AIM solo. It's a 10hZ GPS data logger with a very robust data analizing software suite. The nice thing about it vs the v-box for instance is a lot of the data can be looked at on the device at the track. I love it it has been very helpful in showing what corners I need to work on, braking points, min apex speeds etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #18
nekky
Collector of Z4Ms
nekky's Avatar
Canada
8
Rep
894
Posts

 
Drives: 07 Z4MC MB, 06 Z4MR IR VT2-500
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Had a great track day this weekend despite the heat, and made a new personal best at my home track Roebling Road of 1:24.1. I'll post up some links to some of the more interesting laps and a photo of the M . Lots of traffic this time so while not always the fastest laps,but it is enjoyable cutting through traffic. Got to play with a TTC prepped E36 M3 this time as well . Tested out my newest mod , a modified oil cooler from the E60 M5 . Basically same setup as stock just 12 rows versus 8. Kept my oil temps in the 210's-220 range despite the 94 degree heat 70% humidity and 20 minute track sessions, it also made my power much more consistent. I was able to hit the low 140's repeatedly on the front straight despite taking turn 9 the preceding turn to the front straight cautiously and breaking early at the 5 marker. http://youtu.be/n4kgw8oVNkY
Man.. your car is gorgeous. Absolutely, by far, my favourite Roadster on the site. Where oh where, is that diffuser from? Wing too? The diffuser almost reminds me of an FD3S rear end for whatever reason..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #19
ga41
Lieutenant
ga41's Avatar
Cyprus
4
Rep
447
Posts

 
Drives: Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Paphos

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
The diffuser looks like the AC Schnitzer one http://www.ac-schnitzer.de/en/bmw-ca.../aerodynamics/
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #20
gmd2003
Major
gmd2003's Avatar
17
Rep
1,401
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekky View Post
Man.. your car is gorgeous. Absolutely, by far, my favourite Roadster on the site. Where oh where, is that diffuser from? Wing too? The diffuser almost reminds me of an FD3S rear end for whatever reason..
Thank you! It is the AC Schnitzer rear diffuser and 2pc wing.
Attached Images
  

Last edited by gmd2003; 09-10-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #21
3002 tii
Major General
3002 tii's Avatar
United_States
140
Rep
8,595
Posts

 
Drives: flat out
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NNJ

iTrader: (50)

Garage List
the hard top, diffuser, spoiler and wheels... one of the best roadster i've seen!
__________________

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #22
gmd2003
Major
gmd2003's Avatar
17
Rep
1,401
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
the hard top, diffuser, spoiler and wheels... one of the best roadster i've seen!
Thanks !, I always say no reason a track car can't look good while going fast.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 AM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST