ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
ZStig
Major General
101
Rep
7,242
Posts

 
Drives: VT2-525 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

iTrader: (3)

HELP: sucky drag racing times



VT2-500 kit, 8psi confirmed on my boost gauge. Bridgestone re-11 tires launching at 1500rpm, anything much higher and I was experiencing wheel hop. 28psi hot in the back.

Temps were high, around 84*F, and very high humidity. On my best run, it probably cooled to 80*F.

For comparisons sake, I ran a hair quicker than a c5 vette, and beat a Viper GTS. The viper's best run was a 12.8@~115

So I see that I took a huge 3 tenths from my average runs because I had a .1 second better launch. I noticed I'm chirping my tires as much as 3 times per shift, which hurts it too. So theoretically I could be running low 12s with a 1.8 or 1.9 second launch, but I doubt my traps would be 7mph higher.

I'm gonna start with a dyno in 2 weeks or so, and get my water/meth kit hooked up to counter the heat.

So here's my question -why isn't a 500hp car hitting anywhere near 120mph trap speeds? The car feels significantly stronger in cold weather, but come on... am I really gonna pick up 7mph in the traps in colder air? Whats wrong with my car?
Attached Images
    
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Kgolf31's Avatar
39
Rep
3,354
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (3)

It's not a drag car (seriously).

It's really only the reasonable explanation. If you don't want wheel hop you probably need drag radials.
__________________
12 128i Coupe - Project STX: TCKline l Active Autowerke l APEX l Vorshlag l Dunlop l Hawk l BMW Performance

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
ZStig
Major General
101
Rep
7,242
Posts

 
Drives: VT2-525 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
It's not a drag car (seriously).

It's really only the reasonable explanation. If you don't want wheel hop you probably need drag radials.
I'm not looking for a competitive drag car, I just want to replicate the numbers my supercharged brothers are running to make sure there's nothing wrong with my car
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
seank
enthusiast
seank's Avatar
18
Rep
1,531
Posts

 
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sacramento, ca

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
m not looking for a competitive drag car, I just want to replicate the numbers my supercharged brothers are running to make sure there's nothing wrong with my car
That's fair. What size tires, car weight with driver, and torque numbers of your brothers are comparing. We need more information.

Everything adds up. I was recently surprised that my z4mc ran 7 seconds slower than my e30m3 track car. Then I started to add it up:
-600lb less
-sticky hoosiers (but smaller of course)
-suspension 2 times as stiff, that's not taking into account that its 600lbs lighter.
-weight of the car is lower
-btw it is 188 whp.
I don't know much about drag racing but from my understanding, the start is everything just like my corners on the track are EVERYTHING.

Last edited by seank; 08-12-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
Twisted Six's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,480
Posts

 
Drives: Z4si-coupe
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: -Laguna Beach Ca.

iTrader: (6)

Are you running a dedicated track tire and doing a hot enough water box burn-out ? If your tires are holding the right amount of heat and are sticky...you should be able to launch at higher initial rpms and really hook up.
Even yet...no slouch !
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
ZStig
Major General
101
Rep
7,242
Posts

 
Drives: VT2-525 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seank View Post
That's fair. What size tires, car weight with driver, and torque numbers of your brothers are comparing. We need more information.

Everything adds up. I was recently surprised that my z4mc ran 7 seconds slower than my e30m3 track car. Then I started to add it up:
-600lb less
-sticky hoosiers (but smaller of course)
-suspension 2 times as stiff, that's not taking into account that its 600lbs lighter.
-weight of the car is lower
-btw it is 188 whp.
I don't know much about drag racing but from my understanding, the start is everything just like my corners on the track are EVERYTHING.
well, I don't remember the exact info, but someone here ran high 11s at 112mph with the same supercharger kit, and drag radials. Someone on youtube ran a mid-12@112 or so on a 50hp less Vt1-450 kit

I have 265/35/18 Bridgestone RE-11s, pretty stiff rear suspension because of the coilovers, car weight with driver should be 3365lbs or less. Haven't dynoed the car since I fixed my boost leak

Based on my math, I know I can get into the low 12s with a perfect launch, but its the trap speed I'm pretty sure it means I'm well below 500hp
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
ZStig
Major General
101
Rep
7,242
Posts

 
Drives: VT2-525 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Schnitzer View Post
Are you running a dedicated track tire and doing a hot enough water box burn-out ? If your tires are holding the right amount of heat and are sticky...you should be able to launch at higher initial rpms and really hook up.
Even yet...no slouch !
well, I'm doing a very ameteur-ish burnout. Worried about eating up my daily driven street tires. I'm basically dropping the clutch in 1st gear, and not touching the brakes, so it only spins for a bit. I was told, at the track, that I should run as low as 18psi on my street tires....
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #8
ZStig
Major General
101
Rep
7,242
Posts

 
Drives: VT2-525 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

iTrader: (3)

I was hoping that someone with good drag racing knowledge could look at the spreadsheet I posted and tell me whats up
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #9
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G
The HACK's Avatar
41
Rep
3,480
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Welcome to Jamaica have a nice day

iTrader: (1)

The 60' time tells all the story.
__________________
Quote:
No way I'd ever take my BMW to the track.
Quote:
Then why do you have $3,000 worth of suspension mods on your car?
Quote:
...
-Overheard at the last B****rfest.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 12:06 AM   #10
Rated M Roadster
Captain
Rated M Roadster's Avatar
11
Rep
706
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 X5M
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: ABQ

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
The 60' time tells all the story.
Not really. They aren't bad for street tires.
__________________

SOLD Z4MR ll VF570 470whp 344wtq ll AA headers
RE X-pipe ll Stromung ll APEX ARC-8 on PSS
Stoptech 6pot Fr ll H&R coilovers ll APEX stud kit
Aero skirts ll Passport SRX
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #11
GCDC
New Member
0
Rep
14
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 Z4MC
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: DFW

iTrader: (0)

You're MPH works out to about ~370 whp.... 500 bhp should translate to about 420 whp which should put trap times closer to ~118...

E.T. and 60' times will not change trap speeds much unless there was a completly busted launch, and the easiest way to judge HP (and highway performance) is with trap speeds. I'd imagine with some more time at the track you should be able to get in the 1.8-9s 60' time which would put you in the low 12s no problem.

If you are worried about E.T. it's all about trial and error. Most street tires do not need a big burn out to get to the right temp. but you will need to adjust tire pressure to find out what works for your car on each track conditions.

What I've found that works best on street tires is a high RPM launch with slipping the clutch for traction/control(a little spin is better than bogging).
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #12
ZStig
Major General
101
Rep
7,242
Posts

 
Drives: VT2-525 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

iTrader: (3)

Yeah i think the #1 issue is the heat, completely KILLING my power output. Im gonna work on a cooling solution. Thanks
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #13
Beedub
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
54
Rep
4,088
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

tom dont stress to much, hell your not even warming the tyres!!!!! you going straight out and hoping for good times, you can see traction is an issue, at one point you step out in second pretty hard!!

that guy with vt1 on youtube went for it all out but KNEW how to drag..... you could hear him fethering the throttle when he gets wheel hop.
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #14
ZStig
Major General
101
Rep
7,242
Posts

 
Drives: VT2-525 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
tom dont stress to much, hell your not even warming the tyres!!!!! you going straight out and hoping for good times, you can see traction is an issue, at one point you step out in second pretty hard!!

that guy with vt1 on youtube went for it all out but KNEW how to drag..... you could hear him fethering the throttle when he gets wheel hop.
my trap speeds should be higher, even if I launched it perfectly. Don't worry, I'll either get my meth injection sorted, or install a cooling spray onto the intercooler.

but yeah, sliding towards the wall into 2nd gear looked a lot scarrier in the video than from my seat. heh
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #15
STIHLBOLTS
First Lieutenant
STIHLBOLTS's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
378
Posts

 
Drives: 08 Z4M Roadster
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: South Georgia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
What track were you at?
__________________

2008 - Z4MR BMWCCA / ZSCCA Member
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #16
ZStig
Major General
101
Rep
7,242
Posts

 
Drives: VT2-525 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post
What track were you at?
Palm beach international raceway
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 07:24 PM   #17
Racer20
First Lieutenant
United_States
17
Rep
362
Posts

 
Drives: F80 M3, E46 ZHP Sedan
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

iTrader: (0)

You picked up 3.5mph over the course of the night. Temps will have a huge effect on a supercharged car . . . Not sure how the ESS tune works, but on my previous car (2008 corvette) the ECU would start pulling timing once the IAT reached 88 degrees. There was a noticeable drop in power in hot weather, my estimate would be 25-30hp. Run it when it's closer to 60 degrees and you'll see a couple more mph.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 07:56 PM   #18
ZStig
Major General
101
Rep
7,242
Posts

 
Drives: VT2-525 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
You picked up 3.5mph over the course of the night. Temps will have a huge effect on a supercharged car . . . Not sure how the ESS tune works, but on my previous car (2008 corvette) the ECU would start pulling timing once the IAT reached 88 degrees. There was a noticeable drop in power in hot weather, my estimate would be 25-30hp. Run it when it's closer to 60 degrees and you'll see a couple more mph.

3.5mph, and the temp drop was maybe 5-10 degrees max. hmm. good insight

Im gonna have my AEM water/meth kit working soon, just hunting down the best price on a new controller box. Its out of warranty unfortunately
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #19
davesz4mc
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
274
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 z4mc
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Antonio, Tx

iTrader: (0)

You do not warm street tires or they get slippery, drag radials get sticky...!

Track prep makes a huge differance as well, what kind of events do they run there? you may want to go out after a NHRA or like event for a properly prepped track.

I can't really hook first or second on 275's being NA so an SC is only making things worse. Hasing the tires where you can't really feel the slip is robbing you of speed. It is sometimes faster to run a slower car...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #20
ZStig
Major General
101
Rep
7,242
Posts

 
Drives: VT2-525 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesz4mc View Post
You do not warm street tires or they get slippery, drag radials get sticky...!

Track prep makes a huge differance as well, what kind of events do they run there? you may want to go out after a NHRA or like event for a properly prepped track.

I can't really hook first or second on 275's being NA so an SC is only making things worse. Hasing the tires where you can't really feel the slip is robbing you of speed. It is sometimes faster to run a slower car...
I was able to go full throttle in 1st and 2nd gear without much wheelspin on most of my runs.

Its a "big" track, so they probably run NHRA events. The track was prepped in the beginning of the night on this specific day
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 12:15 AM   #21
krnnerdboy
Colonel
krnnerdboy's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
2,124
Posts

 
Drives: v10 m6
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: so cal

iTrader: (10)

I regularly dragged my z4m in the 1/8th and had 1 run down the 1/4mi.

my setup:
75 shot nitrous(basic setup)
muffler delete
AA tune
rpi scoop
bmc filter

my best 1/8th
60' 1.85, 1/8th 8.00 @ 91 mph in 1500da on worn out mt drag radials

best na 1/8th
60' 2.0, 8.5 @ 85 mph on dunlop direzzas 1200'da

street tired 1/8th
60' 2.2, 8.457 @ 90.08

my only 1/4 mile
missed 2nd gear 60' 2.4, 13.1 @ 117 2000'da


your 1/8th and 1/4 mile traps seem low for 500hp compared to my 75 shot, especially for your high 60' times. I'd assume traps in mid 90's in the 1/8th and 120 in the 1/4. Go on dragtimes.com and get your da for the day to see it more clearly.

your re-11 should be good for 2.0 60's....skip the water box, drop down to 20-23psi to avoid wheel hop, and do a quick burn on dry asphalt before you line it up(no brake application, 1st gear drop) oh yeah,open the hood in the pits, and avoid hot lapping
__________________

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #22
ZStig
Major General
101
Rep
7,242
Posts

 
Drives: VT2-525 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
I regularly dragged my z4m in the 1/8th and had 1 run down the 1/4mi.

my setup:
75 shot nitrous(basic setup)
muffler delete
AA tune
rpi scoop
bmc filter

my best 1/8th
60' 1.85, 1/8th 8.00 @ 91 mph in 1500da on worn out mt drag radials

best na 1/8th
60' 2.0, 8.5 @ 85 mph on dunlop direzzas 1200'da

street tired 1/8th
60' 2.2, 8.457 @ 90.08

my only 1/4 mile
missed 2nd gear 60' 2.4, 13.1 @ 117 2000'da


your 1/8th and 1/4 mile traps seem low for 500hp compared to my 75 shot, especially for your high 60' times. I'd assume traps in mid 90's in the 1/8th and 120 in the 1/4. Go on dragtimes.com and get your da for the day to see it more clearly.

your re-11 should be good for 2.0 60's....skip the water box, drop down to 20-23psi to avoid wheel hop, and do a quick burn on dry asphalt before you line it up(no brake application, 1st gear drop) oh yeah,open the hood in the pits, and avoid hot lapping
thanks a lot for the tips. I plan to go again around October 12th
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 AM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST