ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
nobrakese28
Private First Class
2
Rep
112
Posts

 
Drives: Z4M Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Z4M European headers and catalytic converter question

Hey guys,

I just purchased a set of European headers of a 2002 E46 M3. They should arrive Friday, I got them from an English parts yard for 567 shipped. They are coming with the primary (first) oxygen sensors.

I would really like to get a hold of the Europe section 2, but this is proving to be a challenge. I saw the write ups on the addition of the O2 sensor and EGT bungs.

My question is, besides the bungs, is the European section 2 any different? Bigger cats?

Also for the people who have done this mod, where did you purchase the O2 bungs?

Also, when my brother eliminated the catalyst on his E46 M3, the car stunk! I don't believe M3's have secondary cats. Can I expect the smell of fuel?

And finally, will the car pass smog? I am not worried about the visual.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
SCHMOUPE's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
1,614
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: NJ

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakese28 View Post
Hey guys,

I just purchased a set of European headers of a 2002 E46 M3. They should arrive Friday, I got them from an English parts yard for 567 shipped. They are coming with the primary (first) oxygen sensors.

I would really like to get a hold of the Europe section 2, but this is proving to be a challenge. I saw the write ups on the addition of the O2 sensor and EGT bungs.

My question is, besides the bungs, is the European section 2 any different? Bigger cats?

Also for the people who have done this mod, where did you purchase the O2 bungs?

Also, when my brother eliminated the catalyst on his E46 M3, the car stunk! I don't believe M3's have secondary cats. Can I expect the smell of fuel?

And finally, will the car pass smog? I am not worried about the visual.

Thanks!

I am in the same boat as you, just installed my headers and now trying to source the bungs. A member pointed these out to me: http://stores.channeladvisor.com/aut...temid=13552227

still looking for EGT bungs which last I heard can be sourced from a boat dealer (I still havent called to verify)

Can you elaborate on where exactly you got the parts from. Website?
__________________
The Raspinator

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
Finnegan
Major General
Finnegan's Avatar
United_States
80
Rep
6,507
Posts

 
Drives: Sapphire Black/Black Z4Mc
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: At the track..or wishing I were at the track

iTrader: (18)

See last post in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
Jumbosock
Captain
Jumbosock's Avatar
10
Rep
810
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 M coupe
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Actually, in that last post he is just talking about a cap to cover the bungs in his US Header before he had the chance to swap to the euro header. That is not helpful for the bungs the OP is looking for.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
Geauxkart
Second Lieutenant
Geauxkart's Avatar
2
Rep
276
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe Sepang
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbosock View Post
Actually, in that last post he is just talking about a cap to cover the bungs in his US Header before he had the chance to swap to the euro header. That is not helpful for the bungs the OP is looking for.

YES, it was helpful. The female cap I have fits the same threads as the EGT. The male fitting you can buy at a Verado dealer, cut and weld onto the exhaust...viola, 316SS EGT bung.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
Geauxkart
Second Lieutenant
Geauxkart's Avatar
2
Rep
276
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe Sepang
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

iTrader: (3)

Or buy this, and you can make 4 fittings....
http://www.searay-parts.com/Hydrauli...parts%2042.htm
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
SCHMOUPE's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
1,614
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: NJ

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geauxkart View Post
YES, it was helpful. The female cap I have fits the same threads as the EGT. The male fitting you can buy at a Verado dealer, cut and weld onto the exhaust...viola, 316SS EGT bung.
Do you have a part number for this or what i should ask for when i call?
__________________
The Raspinator

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
Geauxkart
Second Lieutenant
Geauxkart's Avatar
2
Rep
276
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe Sepang
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

iTrader: (3)

Call the dealer and ask for a male verado steering fitting. Any one (straight / 90 degree / bulkhead), as they all have a 14 x 1.5 mm thread. You can cut off the half you don't use.

I'd buy the bulkheads I had listed for $15 in the link, make 4 fittings, and sell 3 for $20 each....

But I am a cheap SOB.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
nobrakese28
Private First Class
2
Rep
112
Posts

 
Drives: Z4M Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Headers are in the mail from England! I am trying to find a solution for the section 1, I really don't want to modify my existing Section. I know welding bungs isn't a huge deal, but California emissions are pretty serious. I am hoping I can purchase a section 1 from VAC Motorsports (not sure if it is available) and add some high flow, high quality catalytic converters (slip fit).
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
OG_M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
3
Rep
315
Posts

 
Drives: 1985 AE86 & E92 SG M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vegas

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
1985 AE86  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakese28 View Post
Headers are in the mail from England! I am trying to find a solution for the section 1, I really don't want to modify my existing Section. I know welding bungs isn't a huge deal, but California emissions are pretty serious. I am hoping I can purchase a section 1 from VAC Motorsports (not sure if it is available) and add some high flow, high quality catalytic converters (slip fit).
as long as you can pass the rediness test you will be good. no more sniffer for obd2 cars:

http://www.smogtips.com/new-smog-law-AB-2289.cfm

or, you can have Evolve flash your car to have the 02's always ready read-means you dont have to relocate 02's.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #11
txz4
Major
txz4's Avatar
18
Rep
1,098
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 M coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: san antonio, texas

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakese28 View Post
Hey guys,

I just purchased a set of European headers of a 2002 E46 M3. They should arrive Friday, I got them from an English parts yard for 567 shipped. They are coming with the primary (first) oxygen sensors.

I would really like to get a hold of the Europe section 2, but this is proving to be a challenge. I saw the write ups on the addition of the O2 sensor and EGT bungs.

My question is, besides the bungs, is the European section 2 any different? Bigger cats?

Also for the people who have done this mod, where did you purchase the O2 bungs?

Also, when my brother eliminated the catalyst on his E46 M3, the car stunk! I don't believe M3's have secondary cats. Can I expect the smell of fuel?

And finally, will the car pass smog? I am not worried about the visual.

Thanks!
If you put the section 1 US side by side with the section 1 euro, they appear to be identical. Unless you are getting an unbelievable deal, it would be worth your time modifying your US ones, or perhaps coming up with a more custom solution. Just my .02 as someone who has the Euro section.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #12
nobrakese28
Private First Class
2
Rep
112
Posts

 
Drives: Z4M Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

So the cats are the same size?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #13
txz4
Major
txz4's Avatar
18
Rep
1,098
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 M coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: san antonio, texas

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakese28 View Post
So the cats are the same size?

Thanks!
I believe someone said there was a slight size increase in the Euros. Im not sure, i can tell you that with the shield on, they are the same size.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #14
nobrakese28
Private First Class
2
Rep
112
Posts

 
Drives: Z4M Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

So my headers came in! They look great, although they have a light haze of rust (damn England). I also purchased a stock section 1 from an E46 M3. I bought the M3 section for the front and rear flanges.

So these are the options I've given myself:

1) Purchase high flow catalytic converters (200 CPI), purchase stainless bungs, cut and remove flanges from the M3 section 1, and take them to CPR Fabrication in Costa Mesa (they do amazing work) along with my Z4M section 1 (will only be used for a template) and have them make fabricate a section.

2) Remove my section 1 and have either CPR Fabrication or my buddy TIG weld in some bungs.

3) Attempt number 1 without the help of CPR Fabrication. I have been playing with the notion of building a JIG and fabricating the section 1 myself. I have access to a full machine shop at work along with my uncle being a very good machinist (also has a full shop). This will obviously take longer, but my buddy is pretty decent TIG welder and he is willing to help. I have a solid steel table to use for jigging it up.

These are the cats I plan on using:
http://www.roeracing.com/productcart...I-O-215p25.htm

The bungs:
http://www.aptuned.com/VIB-1192

The pipe supply/benders:
http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.c...let/StoreFront

CPR Fabrication's website:
http://www.cprfabrications.com/

I plan on stopping by CPR tonight on my way home to talk pricing and scheduling. I will let you know!
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #15
OG_M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
3
Rep
315
Posts

 
Drives: 1985 AE86 & E92 SG M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vegas

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
1985 AE86  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakese28;123****2
So these are the options I've given myself:

1) Purchase high flow catalytic converters (200 CPI), purchase stainless bungs, cut and remove flanges from the M3 section 1, and take them to CPR Fabrication in Costa Mesa (they do amazing work) along with my Z4M section 1 (will only be used for a template) and have them make fabricate a section.

2) Remove my section 1 and have either CPR Fabrication or my buddy TIG weld in some bungs.

3) Attempt number 1 without the help of CPR Fabrication. I have been playing with the notion of building a JIG and fabricating the section 1 myself. I have access to a full machine shop at work along with my uncle being a very good machinist (also has a full shop). This will obviously take longer, but my buddy is pretty decent TIG welder and he is willing to help. I have a solid steel table to use for jigging it up.
i'd say option 2 would be the best as far as time and cost.

That shop looks great, and right next to burns stainless!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #16
OG_M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
3
Rep
315
Posts

 
Drives: 1985 AE86 & E92 SG M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vegas

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
1985 AE86  [0.00]
Curious if you got a chance to stop by CPR Fabrication to discuss with them about the project. I live close by that shop as well and would probably hit them up for the same piece.

or

would you/your buddy like to weld on bungs for my section 1? i'd oviously pay as well
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #17
nobrakese28
Private First Class
2
Rep
112
Posts

 
Drives: Z4M Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

I did. The shop is owned/operated by Chris Parker. Chris is a really nice guy that does some really beautiful work. If I supplied the flanges (which are the same bolt pattern/design), cats, and my stock piece as a template he guesstimated it would be about 1000-1200 in labor and parts. He would basically be making a piece equivalent to Fabspeed's E46 M3 high flow cat section. He could also make the flanges at an extra cost.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 12:06 AM   #18
OG_M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
3
Rep
315
Posts

 
Drives: 1985 AE86 & E92 SG M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vegas

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
1985 AE86  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakese28 View Post
I did. The shop is owned/operated by Chris Parker. Chris is a really nice guy that does some really beautiful work. If I supplied the flanges (which are the same bolt pattern/design), cats, and my stock piece as a template he guesstimated it would be about 1000-1200 in labor and parts. He would basically be making a piece equivalent to Fabspeed's E46 M3 high flow cat section. He could also make the flanges at an extra cost.
cool. thanks for setting up the groundwork.

Though at that price, i think there isnt enough performance to justify a new section 1. If it produced as much gains as headers i would be up for it though. Maybe i can just have them weld the bungs for the section 1.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #19
nobrakese28
Private First Class
2
Rep
112
Posts

 
Drives: Z4M Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

So here is some good info about the Z4M and E46 Section 1.

They are very similar:

1) Obviously, they have the same interface at header.
2) The E46 M3 section one is about 3 inches shorter than the Z4M section 1.
3) The flanges are the same, but the clocking is different, not 180 off either.
4) The "s" bend is close or the same.
5) I am not certain if the elevation of the center of each pipe is the same inlet vs outlet, the Z4M section has an obvious elevation difference.









Threw a picture of the 1973 RD350 in because it is for sale
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #20
Jumbosock
Captain
Jumbosock's Avatar
10
Rep
810
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 M coupe
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

It's definitely not worth it to use the E46 section 1 to make a Z4M section 1. You really need to just buy someone's z4m section 1 and add the bungs.

Back when I had my E46M3 I made a jig to hold the section1. I added cats and resonators. It really wasn't worth all the work but there were few options for what I wanted. It was a pain in the butt to make.

Since the Z4M already has cats in section 1, it is absolutely not worth it to fabricate one. Just buy a Z4m section 1, cut the shield, add the 3 bungs, and you're DONE!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 11:34 PM   #21
nobrakese28
Private First Class
2
Rep
112
Posts

 
Drives: Z4M Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Hey guys. I buttoned up my coupe so it wasn't floating in the air on stands.

I decided to go big so to speak. I decided to buy the Superspint Section without cats. I will either purchase it from either VAC Motorsport or Eurosport Design. VAC quoted me a 2-3 week lead time.

In the mean time I will order some 2.25 SS Magnaflow 200 CPSI catalytic converters to have installed. I will most likely have CPR Fabrication weld the cats in, or possibly have them slip fit them to make replacement easier in the future.

I will be sure to post some photos when the pipes come in.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 10:31 PM   #22
nobrakese28
Private First Class
2
Rep
112
Posts

 
Drives: Z4M Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Hey guys, I talked to Jack at CPI. Turns out that they make a section 1 with resonators, cats, and 02 bungs for the Z4M. They only thing that the pipes do not have is the EGT, this is because he cannot locate SS male bungs easily.

Would it be better for me to have the EGT bung welded in the section one of the euro header?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 PM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST