ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #1
donoman
Rookie
6

 
Drives: 06 Z4MC
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Santa Clara, CA


Posts: 343
iTrader: (1)

Michelin PSS backordered to 7/18 ... Help me choose alternative!

I had my heart set on some Michelin PSS but I'm not waiting a month for them. I have some super noisy Kumho's on the front right now. No more Korean tires for me. I'd like to hit the track a few times this summer. Have some new wheels coming and want 255/35-18 and 275/35-18.

My priorities:
1) Quiet
2) Ride quality
3) Predictable breakaway

What would y'all suggest? I am looking at the Bridgestone S-04 but have never used this tire. Traction isn't really a priority because I'm just out there for fun.
__________________
2003 Z4 2.5i
2006 Z4MC
1990 911 C2
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
Cybmx
Private
0

 
Drives: 06 Z4MR
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Philadelphia


Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

I was looking for a new set of tires not long ago. Ended up getting a set of Hankook RS-3, and loving it so far.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 09:21 PM   #3
dorifto88
Major
11

 
Drives: 88 Nissan Pathfinder
Join Date: May 2010
Location: cowtown


Posts: 1,041
iTrader: (3)

i have a set of 245's at performance technic (michelin pss) if you want them
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 12:35 AM   #4
donoman
Rookie
6

 
Drives: 06 Z4MC
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Santa Clara, CA


Posts: 343
iTrader: (1)

Dorifto88, thanks but I think I'll be going 255 in the front!
__________________
2003 Z4 2.5i
2006 Z4MC
1990 911 C2
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 05:37 AM   #5
Beedub
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
48

 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK


Posts: 4,039
iTrader: (0)

id go for rs-3 all day long or the BF rivals.... the PSS is imo WAY WAY overhyped...
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #6
acceleration
Private First Class
3

 
Drives: E86 Z4MC, E90 328i, E46 330i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bay Area <-> Toronto


Posts: 138
iTrader: (0)

The S04 is fantastic. I ditched my PSS for these tires due to road noise and balance issues on the front (defective front tires; my previous set of PSS had no balance issues, but were still somewhat noisy).

The S04 rides significantly quieter than the PSS and exhibits no perceptible loss in steering response or grip compared to the Michelins. The only advantage of the Michelins is supposedly longer tread life, but that's not a big consideration for me since I don't daily drive the Z4MC.

I think the S04s have been overshadowed by the heaps of praise the PSS has been (perhaps undeservingly so) receiving. I have been very happy with my S04s and would not hesitate to recommend them over the Michelins.
__________________
2006 ///M Coupe TiAg / IR | BBS RS-GT / BBS RK | Ground Control | Supersprint X-pipe + Race | BMW Motorsport 3.91 final drive
2009 328i
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 07:02 PM   #7
donoman
Rookie
6

 
Drives: 06 Z4MC
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Santa Clara, CA


Posts: 343
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acceleration View Post
The S04 is fantastic. I ditched my PSS for these tires due to road noise and balance issues on the front (defective front tires; my previous set of PSS had no balance issues, but were still somewhat noisy).

The S04 rides significantly quieter than the PSS and exhibits no perceptible loss in steering response or grip compared to the Michelins. The only advantage of the Michelins is supposedly longer tread life, but that's not a big consideration for me since I don't daily drive the Z4MC.

I think the S04s have been overshadowed by the heaps of praise the PSS has been (perhaps undeservingly so) receiving. I have been very happy with my S04s and would not hesitate to recommend them over the Michelins.
Thank you, just ordered up my S04's they are coming tomorrow. Total bill is going to be 766+tax+mounting. And they come with a $70 rebate from Americas Tire. Thanks for the inputs.
__________________
2003 Z4 2.5i
2006 Z4MC
1990 911 C2
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 09:21 PM   #8
acceleration
Private First Class
3

 
Drives: E86 Z4MC, E90 328i, E46 330i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bay Area <-> Toronto


Posts: 138
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donoman View Post
Thank you, just ordered up my S04's they are coming tomorrow. Total bill is going to be 766+tax+mounting. And they come with a $70 rebate from Americas Tire. Thanks for the inputs.
Glad to be able to help. I think you will like these tires.
__________________
2006 ///M Coupe TiAg / IR | BBS RS-GT / BBS RK | Ground Control | Supersprint X-pipe + Race | BMW Motorsport 3.91 final drive
2009 328i
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 12:13 AM   #9
seank
enthusiast
17

 
seank's Avatar
 
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sacramento, ca


Posts: 1,522
iTrader: (3)

Im in line too. Ordered but not here till the 22nd. Btw, can you not wait 10 days?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 01:58 AM   #10
donoman
Rookie
6

 
Drives: 06 Z4MC
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Santa Clara, CA


Posts: 343
iTrader: (1)

Where did you order from and what sizes SeanK?

I'm looking for 255/35-18 and 275/35-18.
TireRack website says 7/18 dude!!! I'm not waiting a month for tires.
__________________
2003 Z4 2.5i
2006 Z4MC
1990 911 C2
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 12:25 PM   #11
3002 tii
Major General
United_States
134

 
3002 tii's Avatar
 
Drives: flat out
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NNJ


Posts: 8,492
iTrader: (49)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by donoman View Post
I had my heart set on some Michelin PSS but I'm not waiting a month for them. I have some super noisy Kumho's on the front right now. No more Korean tires for me. I'd like to hit the track a few times this summer. Have some new wheels coming and want 255/35-18 and 275/35-18.

My priorities:
1) Quiet
2) Ride quality
3) Predictable breakaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybmx View Post
I was looking for a new set of tires not long ago. Ended up getting a set of Hankook RS-3, and loving it so far.
RS-3's are not quiet lol

which leads to my next point/question for OP, you want a track tire where the first priority is quiet? That's going to be tough IMO. Best tire that comes to mind is Conti DW and I'd use that as a backup rain tire. Could definitely be used on dry but I don't see it lasting long if driven hard on track. I would just go with Star Specs, can handle almost anything you throw at it and wasn't as loud as my RS-3's.
__________________

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 01:29 PM   #12
donoman
Rookie
6

 
Drives: 06 Z4MC
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Santa Clara, CA


Posts: 343
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
RS-3's are not quiet lol

which leads to my next point/question for OP, you want a track tire where the first priority is quiet? That's going to be tough IMO.
I want a GT tire that I can take to the track a couple times without shredding. I'm not too concerned about track times, mostly about longevity and street manners.
__________________
2003 Z4 2.5i
2006 Z4MC
1990 911 C2
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 01:44 PM   #13
Finnegan
Major General
United_States
80

 
Finnegan's Avatar
 
Drives: Sapphire Black/Black Z4Mc
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: At the track..or wishing I were at the track


Posts: 6,486
iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donoman View Post
I want a GT tire that I can take to the track a couple times without shredding. I'm not too concerned about track times, mostly about longevity and street manners.
I have to agree with Sean re: the Star Specs. I have the newer version, Direzza II, on my E36 M3 which primarily sees track time. The tires are reasonably quiet (I'd expect them to get louder as they age), wonderful grip, predictable in terms of break-away, and very responsive and confidence inspiring.

I think you have to prioritize goals. Rain capability comes largely at the loss of track capability (tread block size and pattern, as well as compound). Noise seems to go somewhat hand in hand with higher performance, grip, stiff sidewalls, and other performance-based construction.

The PSS is a fairly good compromise tire, but it is a compromise. It's very good in the rain, and the sets I've been exposed to are pretty quiet. Pretty good grip, but not extreme summer tire (Star Spec or equivalent) grip. It's got a softer sidewall (ride comfort, noise reduction, harshness reduction, at expense of reaction time), does heat up and get a bit greasy on track under heavy use (but I haven't heard of "shredding"), and it's pricey.

Bottom line all three things you want may not be available in the same tire. They may be there to some degree, but you'll have to give on something IMO.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 02:17 PM   #14
3002 tii
Major General
United_States
134

 
3002 tii's Avatar
 
Drives: flat out
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NNJ


Posts: 8,492
iTrader: (49)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by donoman View Post
I want a GT tire that I can take to the track a couple times without shredding. I'm not too concerned about track times, mostly about longevity and street manners.
As long as you're not pushing it hard and not running in advanced groups then PSS/DW/S04 shoudl be fine. But drive at the limit, extended runs and etc, and I'm almost certain you'll see tire degradation accelerating.

Also, I will provide one other random fact regarding Conti DW. I was surfing through HBO and saw FnF 6. It was the scene where Dom was going to street race Letty and she had her Jenson Interceptor. She was running Conti ExtremeContacts... HMMMM, makes you wonder NO!?





I think Dom was running Star Spec Z2's here... IIRC the race was in semi-wet conditions too. Explains so much...

__________________

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos

Last edited by 3002 tii; 06-12-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 02:23 AM   #15
donoman
Rookie
6

 
Drives: 06 Z4MC
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Santa Clara, CA


Posts: 343
iTrader: (1)

Thanks guys. I got the S04's mounted today and boy, what a difference. The ride quality is so much better. It absorbs bumps better than the Kumho's I had before. I feel like I gained an inch of travel in my suspension.

I have a Porsche 964 Carrera 2 that is more "hardcore" than the M Coupe. I'm gonna strip out the seats and carpeting and probably the rear speakers in an attempt to lose some weight in that car. I'll go for a less "GT" tire and more of an all-out performance tire for that car. (Have CCW's, coil overs, on that car and she rips!)

Kinda setting up my stable with a daily driver (Z4 2.5i), a fun GT car that I don't drive often (Z4MC) and a fun car that has all the goodies but I never drive (911) hahaha
__________________
2003 Z4 2.5i
2006 Z4MC
1990 911 C2
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 01:14 PM   #16
seank
enthusiast
17

 
seank's Avatar
 
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sacramento, ca


Posts: 1,522
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donoman View Post
Where did you order from and what sizes SeanK?

I'm looking for 255/35-18 and 275/35-18.
TireRack website says 7/18 dude!!! I'm not waiting a month for tires.
Onlinetires.com Josh said that Michelin says they will arrive late June at onlinetires

That is all I know. BTW, at the time, the 275/35-18 was the only size on back order.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST