ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 SBM M coupe

supersprint V1 headers/Epic tune trial and tribulations

Been running the full supersprint exhaust system for the past several months including 7 days out on the track successfully. It hasn't been without issues but what modifications aren't... More importantly, the issues are now completely resolved, were minor to begin with and required ZERO modifications to any of the exhaust parts or car for that matter.

I felt I took a big risk purchasing this setup based on the previous peoples experiences and posts here and there on the internet. Read all about the V1 headers and issues with either fitment, check engine lights, tuning... I tend to be a stubborn person and once my mind is set on something there is no turning back.

The goal of this post is shed some light on the following:
  • installation and fittment, proper setup of sensors, performance gains, bimmerworld/epic street tune.

My existing setup prior to install was supersprint X pipe and race cans. In addition car has gruppe M intake and bimmerworld/epic tune.

The epic tune did not make a night and day difference but it did make the car more responsive to throttle inputs esp. in the midrange of power band. The difference was definitely noticeable; but this subjective cause my only other experience with a tune is on a turbo charged car where gains are significant comparatively speaking.... The beauty of this tune is that its not cookie cutter and they will work with you based on your needs/modifications. Epics knowledge base is profound when it comes to the S54 engine. I have had no issues in regards with our ECU being different then the E46 M3's. In fact they said they like working with our ECU as it runs off a true wideband sensor for AFR's unlike the E46. You do have to ship your ECU out to Florida, but turn around time is fast and customer support is awesome. They do have some promising upgrades to their software in the near future..time will tell.

Sadly, I do not have before/after dynos from when I got the tune but here is baseline numbers to compare performance gains of headers/hiflo cats off of.... (OF NOTE) All runs were done on the same load bearing dyno dynamics dynamometer in forth gear by same technician/shop.

BASELINE DYNO/VIDEO

...with nice baseline numbers, it was time the car was packed with expensive goodies for header install

Install took longer then expected due to unknowingly receiving oversized studs bolts and not knowing till we couldn't fit nuts on 4 of 18 studs as they were abutting the primaries...took us a while to figure this out and come up with a solution. Also had hard time removing the secondary O2 sensors. Once finished the car started up without any issues (SES lights), idled fine, sounded awesome under load to my ears.

Fitment is tight with relation to passenger FCAB and one of unused O2 bungs off headers. Currently,there is minor signs of rubbing but it can't be felt or heard. There was some rubbing that I recently had fixed--turned out to be with the metal pan used to jack front of car ... Few spacers placed and no more rubbing. The car has been free of check engine lights since install and most importantly passed OBDii NYS emissions inspection.

Back to the Dyno to see what all the hype about these V1 stepped headers. Bimmerworld and Epic for that matter swear by them and historically speaking have netted some serious gains for that matter.

DYNO PLOT POST INSTALL

WTF!!! WHERE ARE MY GAINS...well they are there below 4.5k but I thought I was supposed to get top end gains not lose compared to stock. To make a long story short, I was at a loss as to what was the problem. The only thing that was changed on the car was the hardware, so what was the issue...O2 sensor locations,EGT sensor, the hiflo cat???

I swapped the primary o2 sensors at the valve cover just in case I mixed them up during install. On start up, the car broke up at idle and threw codes indicating they were switched so I know I installed correctly.

I followed the DIY's posted on-line to a "T" that basically modeled the Euro Z4m's setup with EGT sensor located in the section one before the cat and secondary O2 sensors after the cat.

Could it have been the cat? That was the suspect as the O2 sensors were installed correctly and were functioning properly, EGT sensor was never really a though, and this left only the cat. I was not happy about this but stayed level headed, didn't overreact and sat on if for a bit to come up with a plan. I had spent all this money on the exhaust (esp the cat), I was going to make this setup work! If the cat was the culprit the thought was to modify the section one so a cat less section could easily be swapped.

After my initial install experience I was damned if I was getting back under the car to work it. My back and neck were sore just thinking about it Luckily, I had someone more experienced overlook the car from a trusted local indy shop TKX Performance. Upon discussing current situation and after having quick visualization of the car, the shop owner asked me where my EGT sensor was located and why it wasn't in the header? MY THOUGHTS being this is how every other car with headers had done it -- plus it couldn't be something this simple ...

Funny, Epic and myself had discussed the EGT sensor but when discussing things via phone/email it easy to overlook something like this. To be honest I never considered its placement a potential issue. I passed this by EPIC and sure enough he confirmed it. Easy enough, had the sensor moved and the rubbing against the metal pan resolved by TKX. I owe TKX a big thanks for steering me in the right direction

Last ditch attempt at running car on dyno for gains before I was committed to modifying catted section one.

EGT REPLACEMENT DYNO/VIDEO

: sigh:

I netted some serious gains throughout the entire powerband and the car finally feels strong up top. Best part is that there is still some performance gains to be had with one more retune of ECU. I will post gains when the time comes...

overlay of full supersprint exhaust and baseline dynos

Who would have thought that something as simple as the EGT location would case such an effect of performance gains.

Its been a journey but for me and how I use this car its been well worth it. I would not have done anything differently if I had to do it again. Well ... I take that back, definitely would have made sure I received the right size studs first time around!

Sorry for lengthly novel but wanted to share my experience and clarify any myths about the SS v1 headers and the M coupe.

Last edited by sabbanick; 11-24-2011 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: my horrible grammar
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Great write-up and results! I've left my EGT on the bend pre cats Sec1... I've got no CEL and what I'm assuming is full power. They're located there - and not in the headers, in order to mimic the Euro setup as per:

You removed the system entirely to re-locate your EGT to the headers correct? Are you sure something wasn't just amiss the first time around and that may have corrected it? Just a thought.

Maybe a trip to the dyno is in order for me soon. I noticed a CONSIDERABLE difference w/headers over stock, so this is the only reason why I question it being the EGT location.

Last edited by johanness; 11-22-2011 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep

I found it odd that the EGT sensor location made such an issue. Supersprint headers and Hilo cats have EGT bungs, I just followed suit with what was done on any Oem euro/eBay header install. Live and learn....just glad it's all in the past.

Also...without a baseline dyno you have nothing to make a comparison off of.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Wonder if your tune was designed with US style headers in mind. Ie. the EGT in the headers and not in section 1 like Euro headers. Those are some great gains and thank you for sharing your story.

Do you have to do emissions testing?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbanick View Post
Also...without a baseline dyno you have nothing to make a comparison off of.
Believe me, If I'm kicking a paltry 280 at the wheels, I will KNOW that the above might be an issue. I don't need a before/after to tell me that
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks I'm real happy that straightened everything out.

Yes car passed NYS inspection...it's just an OBDII compliant check. Have to pass 6 of 8 emission fields I believe.

Dyno's are funny. My buddy had a m3 with csl headers, euro section one, and race cans with a competitors tune and he made my stock numbers on same dyno, different day. He made similar numbers when his car was stock on a dyno jet. More important the the peak numbers is how the HP/tq plots look and the AFR's that go along.

I didn't remove any parts of exhaust, just relocated the EGT sensor to an preexisting bung on header from the section one. Supersprint gives you the option to locate it in either place.

Last edited by sabbanick; 11-22-2011 at 08:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #7
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ///M Roadster + E92 335i 6MT

But if you have the EGR in the bung provided by supersprint you get a CEL?

I have a full supersprint system too (V2 headers) and an OEM Euro Cat pipe,
My EGR is in the Euro position, Never once a CEL,

But I'm now tempted to relocate it if its dyno proven at more power gains?

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 10:06 PM   #8
arggg45
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: fairly quickly.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
Dyno proven once does not equal universally dyno proven.
      11-23-2011, 01:05 AM   #9
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Nice numbers!

I got 310rwhp peak, and 256rwtq peak with the following setup:

Active Autowerke ECU tune
RPi Induction System
JVT headers
SuperSprint Uncatted/Unresonated Section1 (S-Pipe)
SuperSprint Section2 (X-Pipe)
SuperSprint Race mufflers

My dyno was done on a DynaPack (hooked up directly at the hubs). My bone-stock baseline dyno, for reference sake was: 266rwhp peak, and 236rwtq peak.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 02:08 AM   #10
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
But if you have the EGR in the bung provided by supersprint you get a CEL?

I have a full supersprint system too (V2 headers) and an OEM Euro Cat pipe,
My EGR is in the Euro position, Never once a CEL,

No I never had a CEL I just made no gains over my stock dyno and ARF's were off down low in rev range. The dyno results was the nidus that made me trouble shoot the cars setup.

With full SS setup, I would def check it out based on my results. Dyno the car with both setups, it's easy enough to. You should be able to feel difference by seat of pants but the mind is funny and I would want to know for sure rather then " I think I have it right"

Last edited by sabbanick; 11-24-2011 at 08:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 02:18 AM   #11
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
Nice numbers!

I got 310rwhp peak, and 256rwtq peak with the following setup:

Active Autowerke ECU tune
RPi Induction System
JVT headers
SuperSprint Uncatted/Unresonated Section1 (S-Pipe)
SuperSprint Section2 (X-Pipe)
SuperSprint Race mufflers

My dyno was done on a DynaPack (hooked up directly at the hubs). My bone-stock baseline dyno, for reference sake was: 266rwhp peak, and 236rwtq peak.
Those are some awesome gains! Mind me asking where your AFR is set at?

Looks like I'm around 12.3 through out on last session ....I'd like to lean it out to a little shy of 13.0 and compare gains. Just wish I never switched wheels on last dyno session, but I really wasn't expecting this outcome. Every little change effect outcomes, but assume increasing rolling mass from 18" to 19" will, if anything, limit my
Gains.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 02:32 AM   #12
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arggg45 View Post
Dyno proven once does not equal universally dyno proven.
Couldn't agree more with this statement. The point of this post was to share my experience with a header design that more or less was thought to cause issues on z4m's based on one or more of following issues....fittment, run ability, CEL's.

It is not to make you all question you cars setup's if you have upgraded headers. I appologize it that is the outcome. Flow characteristics are different with all our setups and after all this mind set is what lead me down the path I've just shared with you all. I never would have know if I didn't dyno my car to document the gains and like also mentioned in this thread who knows what effect the tunes have as well esp if different.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 07:29 AM   #13
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Those are definitely great gains!! Congrats on the new power!!

I'm kind of like you and wanting to be stubborn. I was so set on getting SS V1 Stepped Headers for my E46 M3 despite what everyone said. Unfortunately, this one time, I set my stubbornness to the side I picked up SS V2 Stepped Headers.

I am now looking back and wishing I went with SS V1 Stepped simply for curiosity sake. It's gotten to my head so much that I am considering selling my practically new SS V2 Stepped to upgrade to the SS V1 Stepped.

Also for the record, I ran into the same problems with my before/after dynos. Turns out I had broken pre-cat O2 sensors and EGT!! After replacing those, the car felt SO MUCH stronger.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 07:38 AM   #14
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

How long did you wait between the first post install dyno and the 2nd post install dyno where you made the power with the EGT moved? Maybe your ecu was still adapting? Little confused on the EGT placement as well. Initially you had it in the header and then moved to euro location?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #15
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind32 View Post
How long did you wait between the first post install dyno and the 2nd post install dyno where you made the power with the EGT moved? Maybe your ecu was still adapting? Little confused on the EGT placement as well. Initially you had it in the header and then moved to euro location?
Otherway around. First he had the EGT before the second cats in section 1, similar to the drawing posted above and below then moved it to the headers.

Quote:
I followed the DIY's posted on-line to a "T" that basically modeled the Euro Z4m's setup with EGT sensor located in the section one before the cat and secondary O2 sensors after the cat.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #16
gcochard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Is that drop in power around 6200 typical of S54 engines or was that a problem due to the EGT?

Was the EGT in the stock location in the baseline dyno?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #17
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbanick View Post
Those are some awesome gains! Mind me asking where your AFR is set at?

Looks like I'm around 12.3 through out on last session ....I'd like to lean it out to a little shy of 13.0 and compare gains. Just wish I never switched wheels on last dyno session, but I really wasn't expecting this outcome. Every little change effect outcomes, but assume increasing rolling mass from 18" to 19" will, if anything, limit my
Gains.
I unfortunately have not hooked up a wideband to check AFRs. Just assumed that Active Autowerke would provide a decently safe/conservative tune since it's "mail-order" and not a custom dyno tune. If I ever run another dyno, I'll be sure to put in a wideband and see what the tune is having me run
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 06:58 PM   #18
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
wow!!! +26 HP! damn thats solid, I gotta do a dyno with my headers next season and see if the active autowerkes are comparable
      11-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #19
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep

Good question cliffhopper and tough one for me to answer. The dip in power you see during my baseline run is actually caused by the EGT sensor properly communicating with the ECU. At the time of this run it was located in the location of any stock US car... the headers.

The way it was explained to me was that at this point the ECU went into a catalyst protection mode and dumps fuel into the system to lower EGT's and protect the cats. It is only happening on the dyno because of the excess load this type of dyno puts on the car. A mustang dyno is another example of a load bearing dynamometer -- dynojet is not FYI. I did not investigate it further before I swapped headers, but it comes from a trusted source. The baseline graft of AFR's clearly shows how things really richen up.

Prior to all dyno runs the car had ample time to adapt to changes. The length of time(miles) the car was allowed to adapt was shortest for the last dyno session and longest for the baseline run.
Appreciate 0