ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-11-2012, 11:39 PM   #133
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
16

 
Drives: 2006 M Roadster
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA


Posts: 1,655
iTrader: (2)

Why didn't DKF compare before/after with the same headers? The headers alone are usually responsible for a 20+ hp gain. I'm a little disappointed as I really wanted to see what I could expect on an N/A car that already has Euro Headers.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 12:45 AM   #134
ga41
Lieutenant
Cyprus
4

 
ga41's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Paphos


Posts: 446
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
Which setup is that? The full system has like 53 different combinations.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 02:53 AM   #135
txz4
Major
10

 
txz4's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 M coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: san antonio, texas


Posts: 1,098
iTrader: (3)

around 30 hp sounds fantastic but without knowing the value of the headers on vs off this is kind of useless...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 06:28 AM   #136
Beedub
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
40

 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK


Posts: 4,027
iTrader: (0)

if i see 20hp on my blown car id be sooo happy........... im definatly buying the complete system anyway, im saving up again afster spening alittle on a hardtop but im ready to go and happy to send a deposit to secure my place on the group buy list......

im going race cats, xpipe, sport cans, and the harmonic mounts............

just had a quick add up of the parts i need and its going to be £2730 GBP..... shipping might bump that into the 3000 GBP price range..... Big cheese, very big cheese..... im hoping the FI dyno's show its worth....... 20bhp + and im super happy, i think the race cats will leave the mid range in place and still net the big gains uptop, if anything id like to see the midrange increase MORE than the uptop power.
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.

Last edited by Beedub; 01-12-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #137
flipm3
E46 + E90
Philippines
27

 
Drives: E46 M3 + E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Illinois


Posts: 2,781
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
For what it's worth, I've seen dynos before and after of AA installing their headers, pulleys, and tune on an E46 M3. They gained about 30whp on a mustang dyno. Logical reasoning would say that the DKF exhaust is worth the power of AA's tune and pulleys since overall delta is the same. Of course, reality may say otherwise.

From what I hear, the AA headers don't produce as much power as SS Stepped, V2s, Agency Power, Evosport, etc. So I think it could be expected that the DKF system really works and adds some nice power!

__________________
E90 M3 DCT|Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth | My Build Thread
E46 M3 6MT|Jet Black . Black Nappa Leather | My Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #138
herragge
Private
0

 
Drives: 2006 Interlagos Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vancouver/Boston


Posts: 71
iTrader: (0)

Need to see the torque curve to make any judgements on driveability, which will be the primary factor we should be looking at. Peak hp gain is only a [small] part of the big picture.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 02:12 AM   #139
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
24

 
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Classified


Posts: 2,460
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Z4-VILLA
I wonder if ESS can make a tune just for this.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #140
ZStig
Major General
72

 
Drives: VT2-525 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL


Posts: 7,227
iTrader: (3)

They already have a tune for catless headers
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #141
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
43

 
nmulax's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Metro-Detroit


Posts: 4,324
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [3.83]
Chris, this is looking insanely good!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #142
crfine88
Colonel
22

 
crfine88's Avatar
 
Drives: E86M
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cave Creek AZ.


Posts: 2,285
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
Chris, this is looking insanely good!
Thanks man
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #143
crfine88
Colonel
22

 
crfine88's Avatar
 
Drives: E86M
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cave Creek AZ.


Posts: 2,285
iTrader: (15)

Group Buy

Hey guys, DKF is ready to start a group buy. I will get it going soon. I have been working on a remote project and trying to post form my iphone and it just isn't working that well. I will be back on board soon. The work project should be done tomorrow and I will be back to civilization by this weekend. I will still be adding my test info to this thread through out the GB
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #144
Beedub
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
40

 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK


Posts: 4,027
iTrader: (0)

wahooooo :-)
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 11:16 PM   #145
crfine88
Colonel
22

 
crfine88's Avatar
 
Drives: E86M
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cave Creek AZ.


Posts: 2,285
iTrader: (15)

Groupe Buy is up in the classified section.
My testing will continue while the group by is going on and I will post updates here
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 03:57 AM   #146
Beedub
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
40

 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK


Posts: 4,027
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crfine88 View Post
Groupe Buy is up in the classified section.
My testing will continue while the group by is going on and I will post updates here
hi chris, awesome work your doing especially considering you have a job like all of us, i hope you dont mind me being honest but i think their are some important bits of info missing really for people to make an informed choice on a piece so expensive.

for example...

Ess s/c tune issues?? stock car tune issues?? a CEL is now an inspection fail over here in the uk so any issues like this is a huge no no, really need to nail down info on the s/c tune..

tip protrustion?? what was decided in the end??

s/c car dyno and power gains??

Db ratings @ idle and drive by's? (i have to pass 105db static tests otherwise i cant use the car on track)

i LOVE this option but for me the important info is still up in the air really.....im going to add myself to the group buy but its really depending on all info in this thread/from DKF is nailed down, you however have done a great job representing this product and i personally couldnt think of a better person to do this task!!!
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.

Last edited by Beedub; 02-01-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 07:15 AM   #147
Beedub
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
40

 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK


Posts: 4,027
iTrader: (0)

Added myself to the GB......

So in for a proper exhaust setup for the z4m..... that said i still believe the stock exhaust with CSL headers and a decent low weight muffler is i.e the rpi is pretty awesome, its definatly one of the best o.e exhausts ive seen.....

im hoping that with the new DKF system is can retain the raw sound but drop the horrific drone and hear my motor again!!! lol!!!
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #148
cliffhopper
Captain
7

 
Drives: 2013 Golf TDI
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Costa Mesa


Posts: 775
iTrader: (2)

Beedub, a CEL is an immediate fail over here in California too, so I would expect they have that covered at least with some configurations. What one are you interested in?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #149
Beedub
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
40

 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK


Posts: 4,027
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhopper View Post
Beedub, a CEL is an immediate fail over here in California too, so I would expect they have that covered at least with some configurations. What one are you interested in?
im going s pipe, race 100 cell cats, x pipe and sport mufflers with dampening hangers, im hoping that this setup will get no cel, im pretty certain that this will be the case, i also need to pass emissions test and i believe 100 cell cats will clean it up enough to pass :-)

what setup are you looking at??

im hoping to drop a little of the noise of the RPIs while gain flow and have a really nice sounding exhaust system.
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #150
Jumbosock
Captain
7

 
Jumbosock's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 M coupe
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego


Posts: 798
iTrader: (0)

On my E46 M3 I ran 400 cell cats and it barely passed. I recommend the 300 cell if you're gonna worry about CEL or emissions.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #151
cliffhopper
Captain
7

 
Drives: 2013 Golf TDI
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Costa Mesa


Posts: 775
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
im going s pipe, race 100 cell cats, x pipe and sport mufflers with dampening hangers, im hoping that this setup will get no cel, im pretty certain that this will be the case, i also need to pass emissions test and i believe 100 cell cats will clean it up enough to pass :-)

what setup are you looking at??

im hoping to drop a little of the noise of the RPIs while gain flow and have a really nice sounding exhaust system.
I'm thinking of going with the x pipe with street or sport mufflers.

Nothing too aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #152
Beedub
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
40

 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK


Posts: 4,027
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbosock
On my E46 M3 I ran 400 cell cats and it barely passed. I recommend the 300 cell if you're gonna worry about CEL or emissions.
The stock cats are 300 cell units.... Afaik.....???
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #153
crfine88
Colonel
22

 
crfine88's Avatar
 
Drives: E86M
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cave Creek AZ.


Posts: 2,285
iTrader: (15)

Thanks Byron,
On a side note, I havn't forgotten about the clubsport info you are looking for. I have been up to my eyballs in certification reporting for work.

I agree with you on the important bits of info. DKF wanted to get the ball rolling on the group by early to give people plenty of time to come up with funds and also so they would be able to hit a specific manufature date. I will be doing my best to fit more testing in before the group buy is completed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
hi chris, awesome work your doing especially considering you have a job like all of us, i hope you dont mind me being honest but i think their are some important bits of info missing really for people to make an informed choice on a piece so expensive.

for example...

Ess s/c tune issues?? stock car tune issues?? a CEL is now an inspection fail over here in the uk so any issues like this is a huge no no, really need to nail down info on the s/c tune..

tip protrustion?? what was decided in the end??

s/c car dyno and power gains??

Db ratings @ idle and drive by's? (i have to pass 105db static tests otherwise i cant use the car on track)

i LOVE this option but for me the important info is still up in the air really.....im going to add myself to the group buy but its really depending on all info in this thread/from DKF is nailed down, you however have done a great job representing this product and i personally couldnt think of a better person to do this task!!!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #154
crfine88
Colonel
22

 
crfine88's Avatar
 
Drives: E86M
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cave Creek AZ.


Posts: 2,285
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
...im hoping that with the new DKF system is can retain the raw sound but drop the horrific drone and hear my motor again!!! lol!!!
Me too. So far on my car, the full race set-up is much louder than the stock/RPI set-up I was running and the drone is about the same. I anticipate that the drone will be reduced when I add the cats to the mid section and use the resonated mufflers for testing.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
awesome sauce

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 PM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST