ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #771
Beedub
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 3,863
iTrader: (0)

BTW i'll check mine, i installed mine on the cold side of the motor and installed it the inner bodywork down by the firewall, last time i looked it was fine but i will defo check :-) i noticed that the top section of your already appeared to be damaged as mine is quite abit longer than your item.
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Beedub is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #772
22022
Private First Class
 
22022's Avatar
 
Drives: VT2-500 ZM4 roadster
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

Hi Guys,

Sorry i don't contribute much to Zpost but i stalk it every day especially this thread .

Excellent job on your time Rof..er ZStig your a full second and 1/2 faster than me but im not running meth.
Your right about the accuracy at the truck stops my car with stock wheels and battery was 3600lb full tank this cant be right.

And Beedub is right, our axles are weak this is what happened to my passenger half shaft in second gear under full throttle at around 6500 RPM.

ZStig have you sourced out and after market axles yet?
Attached Images
  
__________________
22022 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #773
Beedub
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 3,863
iTrader: (0)

^^^^^^^

YUP...... seen a few like this now...... wouldnt expect it to go at high rev situations, more high grip, drag situations.... @ 6500 tq is gradual and linear...
talk us through your car and kit bro??? hows it running and hows things??
Meth at this time of year shouldn't make to much difference now..... here in the UK its sub 10 deg C so meth would cause bog situations.... my car runs lovely at this time of year, sadly it only comes out on the sunny, dry days :-(
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Beedub is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #774
ZStig
Major General
 
Drives: VT2-500 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

Posts: 7,174
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22022 View Post
Hi Guys,

Sorry i don't contribute much to Zpost but i stalk it every day especially this thread .

Excellent job on your time Rof..er ZStig your a full second and 1/2 faster than me but im not running meth.
Your right about the accuracy at the truck stops my car with stock wheels and battery was 3600lb full tank this cant be right.

And Beedub is right, our axles are weak this is what happened to my passenger half shaft in second gear under full throttle at around 6500 RPM.

ZStig have you sourced out and after market axles yet?

thanks man. You're definitely looking at the right thread, this is where I post EVERYTHING related to my experience

What kind of kit are you running on your car? Vt1-445 or VT2-500? If your axles broke running as much power as me, that DOES worry me. Might have to be my next major mod before I upgrade power. I definitely won't run slicks without upgrading my axles

I think I'm only getting minor gains from my meth kit. The pump isn't mounted lower than the meth tank, the nozzle can be moved upstream another 6", and I have to get an adapter for my aftermarket check valve so I'm not running TWO check valves. I wanna mount my pump so that the line coming from it, to the nozzle, is as short as possible so it could theoretically kick in faster even though a check valve should keep it pre-loaded..
__________________
ZStig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #775
ZStig
Major General
 
Drives: VT2-500 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

Posts: 7,174
iTrader: (3)

here's my first run, against an AA tuned 135i. Pretty crappy launch, as you can hear my rpms drop a little. The 2-3 shift was freaking instantaneous though! Obviously the exhaust cutouts were wide open, so it sounded like a chainsaw

__________________
ZStig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 01:04 AM   #776
22022
Private First Class
 
22022's Avatar
 
Drives: VT2-500 ZM4 roadster
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
^^^^^^^

YUP...... seen a few like this now...... wouldnt expect it to go at high rev situations, more high grip, drag situations.... @ 6500 tq is gradual and linear...
talk us through your car and kit bro??? hows it running and hows things??
Meth at this time of year shouldn't make to much difference now..... here in the UK its sub 10 deg C so meth would cause bog situations.... my car runs lovely at this time of year, sadly it only comes out on the sunny, dry days :-(
Running a VT2-500 euro cats & header with Stromung cans, 4:10s lower on H&R springs on Kumho Ecsta XS,the car runs awesome.
I only drive the car on sunny dry days as-well,parked for the winter now.
Broke the axle last month, ambient temp was around 12*c around 11 pm, out driving having some fun.., got some wheel hop into second then it hooked up and bang.
Fixed it myself, got a used half shaft from a 06 M3.
__________________
22022 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 03:13 AM   #777
Beedub
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 3,863
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZStig View Post
thanks man. You're definitely looking at the right thread, this is where I post EVERYTHING related to my experience

What kind of kit are you running on your car? Vt1-445 or VT2-500? If your axles broke running as much power as me, that DOES worry me. Might have to be my next major mod before I upgrade power. I definitely won't run slicks without upgrading my axles

I think I'm only getting minor gains from my meth kit. The pump isn't mounted lower than the meth tank, the nozzle can be moved upstream another 6", and I have to get an adapter for my aftermarket check valve so I'm not running TWO check valves. I wanna mount my pump so that the line coming from it, to the nozzle, is as short as possible so it could theoretically kick in faster even though a check valve should keep it pre-loaded..
i was warning you.... our axles are 100% at risk... everytime i start off from the sprint line (on circuit alone in sprinting) its full throttle from the word go on a high grip surface, i think.... i this the time my shafts are going to snap....
we need to look into the DSS axles imo asap.... they were mega money tho ;-) and it requires you sending your stockers in.... :-(

really nice to see the FI community growing.
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Beedub is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 03:14 AM   #778
Beedub
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 3,863
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22022 View Post
Running a VT2-500 euro cats & header with Stromung cans, 4:10s lower on H&R springs on Kumho Ecsta XS,the car runs awesome.
I only drive the car on sunny dry days as-well,parked for the winter now.
Broke the axle last month, ambient temp was around 12*c around 11 pm, out driving having some fun.., got some wheel hop into second then it hooked up and bang.
Fixed it myself, got a used half shaft from a 06 M3.
thanks for the info..... easy home DIY???

so we use the same half shafts as the m3?? i thought they may be slightly shorter, thats good info ;-)
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Beedub is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 04:10 AM   #779
Rated M Roadster
Captain
 
Rated M Roadster's Avatar
 
Drives: E85 M Roadster VF570
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: ABQ

Posts: 668
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub
thanks for the info..... easy home DIY???

so we use the same half shafts as the m3?? i thought they may be slightly shorter, thats good info ;-)
His half shaft broke because of wheel hop, not the extra power. You can break half shafts on a stock car with wheel hop (the drag strip is where they're most vulnerable)...
__________________

Z4MR ll VF570 470whp 344wtq ll AA headers
RE X-pipe ll Stromung ll APEX ARC-8 on PSS
Stoptech 6pot Fr ll H&R coilovers ll APEX stud kit
Aero skirts ll Passport SRX
Rated M Roadster is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 07:28 AM   #780
Beedub
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 3,863
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated M Roadster View Post
His half shaft broke because of wheel hop, not the extra power. You can break half shafts on a stock car with wheel hop (the drag strip is where they're most vulnerable)...
i agree, its Partly down to wheel hop but extra power surely has to be a contributing factor.... every failure on the z4m platform documented so far has been on an Fi car..... i know it only takes one bout of sever wheel hop and pop But imo.... The Fi guys should be looking at this at some point, its your dragging then you DEFinitely should be looking at an axle upgrade. i will be for sure....... no stone unturned and all that....
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Beedub is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #781
ZStig
Major General
 
Drives: VT2-500 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

Posts: 7,174
iTrader: (3)

What are the upgrade options?
__________________
ZStig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #782
Beedub
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 3,863
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZStig View Post
What are the upgrade options?
DSS :-( only one.
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Beedub is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #783
ZStig
Major General
 
Drives: VT2-500 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

Posts: 7,174
iTrader: (3)

HPF doesn't make them?
__________________
ZStig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #784
22022
Private First Class
 
22022's Avatar
 
Drives: VT2-500 ZM4 roadster
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
thanks for the info..... easy home DIY???

so we use the same half shafts as the m3?? i thought they may be slightly shorter, thats good info ;-)
Yes same as the M3. DIY not to bad,you need to remove part of the exhaust and sway bar, you defiantly need the right tool to remove the spindle form the hub to get the half shaft out.
__________________
22022 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #785
22022
Private First Class
 
22022's Avatar
 
Drives: VT2-500 ZM4 roadster
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
DSS :-( only one.
Beedub Is this what your referring to:http://www.driveshaftshop.com/import-axles/bmw/e46-m3

2001 to 2006 e46 M3 should be the same as our cars according to http://www.realoem.com/bmw/

Please correct me if im wrong.
__________________
22022 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #786
Beedub
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 3,863
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22022 View Post
Beedub Is this what your referring to:http://www.driveshaftshop.com/import-axles/bmw/e46-m3

2001 to 2006 e46 M3 should be the same as our cars according to http://www.realoem.com/bmw/

Please correct me if im wrong.
yes!!!!! we send in our axles then they come back rated to 1000hp... lots of money tho!!!! jeeeeeeezzzzz $999 but worth it, for me, it would be a killer to have to send the axles to the states and have to deal with shipping, lead times.... i wish the'd do a buy off the shelf option :-(

im doing lots of standing starts from the start line of the sprint course.... we'll see if i pop one of these... i'll do some proper checks on these items once the car is in the air next time.
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Beedub is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #787
ZStig
Major General
 
Drives: VT2-500 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

Posts: 7,174
iTrader: (3)

I might just wait to break an axle, and then replace it. I have a towing service subscription
__________________
ZStig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-13-2012, 04:53 AM   #788
pandusr
Enlisted Member
 
pandusr's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW Z4M Roadster ESS CFR 525
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Italia

Posts: 32
iTrader: (0)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post

really nice to see the FI community growing.
Hi guys.

I'm an Italian guy who reads for a long time. My Z4M E85 2006 (call Pina) has:

-CFR525 Ess kits (8 psi)
-differential 4.10
-EUR catless headers
-SS xpipe
-Bartoli racing mufflers
-AEM Meth kit (start 2psi, full 6 psi)
-front 245/35-19 rear 275/35-19
- 505.9 Rwhp 518 Nm (AFR 11.6)

I also fear for our drive shafts and when there are jumps do i care. Early photos and chart.

Sorry my English much at school.

Best regards
Gabriele
pandusr is offline   Italy
0
Reply With Quote
      11-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #789
Beedub
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 3,863
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandusr View Post
Hi guys.

I'm an Italian guy who reads for a long time. My Z4M E85 2006 (call Pina) has:

-CFR525 Ess kits (8 psi)
-differential 4.10
-EUR catless headers
-SS xpipe
-Bartoli racing mufflers
-AEM Meth kit (start 2psi, full 6 psi)
-front 245/35-19 rear 275/35-19
- 505.9 Rwhp 518 Nm (AFR 11.6)

I also fear for our drive shafts and when there are jumps do i care. Early photos and chart.

Sorry my English much at school.

Best regards
Gabriele

pics pics ppppppiiiiicccsssss!!!!! 500 rwhp @ 8psi sounds alittle much however!!!!!!! AFR perfect, loved those ess kits with the ASA blowers.... they should have offered it as an option imo!!!
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Beedub is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #790
ZStig
Major General
 
Drives: VT2-500 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

Posts: 7,174
iTrader: (3)

AA said they could hook me up with an ASA blower upgrade if I wanted. $$$ hahaha. too tempting.

pandusr! welcome! sounds like you have a great setup. 500rwhp must be perfect for this chassis. Don't worry about your english. How much torque are you making, and what is the model of your supercharger?
__________________
ZStig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #791
pandusr
Enlisted Member
 
pandusr's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW Z4M Roadster ESS CFR 525
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Italia

Posts: 32
iTrader: (0)

Hi and thanks for the welcome.

I also think 505rwhp are many. I kept here the same braked dynamometer, before and after installation, to analyze the difference, and i felt it was a bit rich. Soon i will do more testing. I want to see the performance of the AEM meth kit.

Torque is 382 lb/ft (518 Nm). The model of supercharger is ASA TM1-20 HD.

Gabriele
pandusr is offline   Italy
0
Reply With Quote
      11-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #792
flipm3
E46 + E90
 
Drives: E46 M3 + E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Illinois

Posts: 2,772
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZStig View Post
AA said they could hook me up with an ASA blower upgrade if I wanted. $$$ hahaha. too tempting.

pandusr! welcome! sounds like you have a great setup. 500rwhp must be perfect for this chassis. Don't worry about your english. How much torque are you making, and what is the model of your supercharger?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandusr View Post
Hi and thanks for the welcome.

I also think 505rwhp are many. I kept here the same braked dynamometer, before and after installation, to analyze the difference, and i felt it was a bit rich. Soon i will do more testing. I want to see the performance of the AEM meth kit.

Torque is 382 lb/ft (518 Nm). The model of supercharger is ASA TM1-20 HD.

Gabriele


Now that is why you need an ASA! Super expensive, but man, the midrange power band and torque is OUT OF THIS WORLD!

I would love to see what AA would do if you got an ASA. That thing be such a blast to drive on the street and track!
__________________
E90 M3 DCT|Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth | My Build Thread
E46 M3 6MT|Jet Black . Black Nappa Leather | My Build Thread
flipm3 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 PM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST