ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #309
Beedub
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 3,839
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
Yeah, you need a big turbo to have big top end. Not sure I want the downgrade in throttle response and usable traction (on this chassis)

Other than the pulley, what else does the vt2-550 kit come with for the e46?

My friend has a very strong 996tt, which will always be faster, but I'm trying to build the ultimate daily driver

I weighed the volks, they're 17.5lbs each! The 19s I have on right now are 25.5lbs in the rear. The new tires are also lighter (28lbs), so I'm looking to lose 12.5lbs per corner
absolutly!!! yeah i crave more TQ but the s/c has MANY MANY more pluses for me than a HPF setup, my s/c kit makes for a near perfect track power band, literally perfect! i love it...... i'll just have to rev, then again my poor s54 spends most of its life @ 6500 + revs, lol!!!

moving on from this car will be costly as bang for buck its punching WAY above its class!! brakes, suspension, Vt2 makes this car an animal!! if i can drop 100kg, ill be absolultly delighted, it just means i may have to loose my beloved CSLs :-(

very aggressive setup on the wheels,.......
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Beedub is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #310
Beedub
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 3,839
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
Wow that's super aggressive, that's 2.58% larger in the front and 2.80% larger in the back. You're probably going to have to run some pretty heavy camber in the front. Post pics once you get it all sorted out, will look great.

Might want to do 3.91 diff so you end up about 5% lower (8% diff - ~3% larger tires). I guess with your supercharger you're breaking traction all the time so it's not a problem to lose some torque.
i think your looking @ -3 to get those to fit :-)
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Beedub is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #311
ZStig
Major General
 
Drives: VT2-500 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

Posts: 7,174
iTrader: (3)

I had time to get the fronts mounted and installed. very minor rubbing on the liner, its fine. This is on stock camber! The Re-11s have fairly round edges, compared to the AD08s I wanted... Still running SNOW tires in the back for the rest of the day. 265s up front feel amazing, even just putting around town. I'll install camber bolts tonight, just in case
__________________
ZStig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #312
ZStig
Major General
 
Drives: VT2-500 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

Posts: 7,174
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
Wow that's super aggressive, that's 2.58% larger in the front and 2.80% larger in the back. You're probably going to have to run some pretty heavy camber in the front. Post pics once you get it all sorted out, will look great.

Might want to do 3.91 diff so you end up about 5% lower (8% diff - ~3% larger tires). I guess with your supercharger you're breaking traction all the time so it's not a problem to lose some torque.
these are 25.3" tall, stock is 26" tall IIRC
__________________
ZStig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #313
ZStig
Major General
 
Drives: VT2-500 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

Posts: 7,174
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
absolutly!!! yeah i crave more TQ but the s/c has MANY MANY more pluses for me than a HPF setup, my s/c kit makes for a near perfect track power band, literally perfect! i love it...... i'll just have to rev, then again my poor s54 spends most of its life @ 6500 + revs, lol!!!

moving on from this car will be costly as bang for buck its punching WAY above its class!! brakes, suspension, Vt2 makes this car an animal!! if i can drop 100kg, ill be absolultly delighted, it just means i may have to loose my beloved CSLs :-(

very aggressive setup on the wheels,.......
Those piano weight CSLs gotta go man....
__________________
ZStig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #314
Tiago
Private First Class
 
Tiago's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 / E61 35d
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

Posts: 119
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
Yeah, you need a big turbo to have big top end. Not sure I want the downgrade in throttle response and usable traction (on this chassis)

Other than the pulley, what else does the vt2-550 kit come with for the e46?

My friend has a very strong 996tt, which will always be faster, but I'm trying to build the ultimate daily driver

I weighed the volks, they're 17.5lbs each! The 19s I have on right now are 25.5lbs in the rear. The new tires are also lighter (28lbs), so I'm looking to lose 12.5lbs per corner
VT2 500 vs 550: Bigger injectors (don't say the size like the 500), IC only 1cm fatter, 80mm pulley, new belt, different fuel pressure regulator and new ecu tune.

IMHO the only a diet you should make on the car is to remove all the softtop system and buy a CF hardtop with plexan glass and improved aero. This lowers insanely the center gravity of the car which will be felt right way in the first corners. Next would be lighter wheels, seats and exhaust. Other than that is just a waste of money. Lighter 18" wheels + taller tires + 4.10 diff ratio, should become a good combo for the lack of TQ without suffering traction issues. Gotta learn with HPF higher stages folks.

Nothing beat the rush of 996/7TT turbos kick in. Those cars are no joke and with just a exhaust and tune become truly amazing.
__________________

Last edited by Tiago; 10-13-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Tiago is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #315
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2006 M Roadster
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 1,655
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
these are 25.3" tall, stock is 26" tall IIRC
Yeah sorry I read that wrong, those figures i gave are 2.58 and 2.8 smaller not larger. My brain mixed up having the speedo "too fast" to meaning "traveling faster" which is exactly the opposite.
__________________
beta is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2011, 01:03 AM   #316
ZStig
Major General
 
Drives: VT2-500 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

Posts: 7,174
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
VT2 500 vs 550: Bigger injectors (don't say the size like the 500), IC only 1cm fatter, 80mm pulley, new belt, different fuel pressure regulator and new ecu tune.

IMHO the only a diet you should make on the car is to remove all the softtop system and buy a CF hardtop with plexan glass and improved aero. This lowers insanely the center gravity of the car which will be felt right way in the first corners. Next would be lighter wheels, seats and exhaust. Other than that is just a waste of money. Lighter 18" wheels + taller tires + 4.10 diff ratio, should become a good combo for the lack of TQ without suffering traction issues. Gotta learn with HPF higher stages folks.

Nothing beat the rush of 996/7TT turbos kick in. Those cars are no joke and with just a exhaust and tune become truly amazing.
thx for the info. I'm not going to lose the soft top, thats the main reason I didn't get another car. I'm set on the wheels, just gotta work on the rest.

I installed the camber bolts today, using only 1 washer. I have visible front camber, but only about 2-3mm clearance at the front strut so I didn't want to risk it by adding another washer. No rubbing but the tire will deflect into the strut at the track. I'm gonna roll the fenders, and get very thin spacers
__________________
ZStig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2011, 02:21 AM   #317
Beedub
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 3,839
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
thx for the info. I'm not going to lose the soft top, thats the main reason I didn't get another car. I'm set on the wheels, just gotta work on the rest.

I installed the camber bolts today, using only 1 washer. I have visible front camber, but only about 2-3mm clearance at the front strut so I didn't want to risk it by adding another washer. No rubbing but the tire will deflect into the strut at the track. I'm gonna roll the fenders, and get very thin spacers
loosing the soft top???? that is a rediculous idea..... thats the reason i brought the car!!!! weight can be lost in loads of other places without killing the character of the car.
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Beedub is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2011, 09:35 AM   #318
ZStig
Major General
 
Drives: VT2-500 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

Posts: 7,174
iTrader: (3)

Well, the wheels/tires are finally on the car. Hard to properly judge the characted because there's still manufacturing grease on them, for the first 100-200 miles. Plus the roads are damp. BUT I still feel a big difference compared to Hankook V12s. The slightly shorter tires + ~50lbs lost in rotational mass is noticeable. Decided to run 20mm spacers in rear for a pretty damn flush fit. I'll post pics a cell phone pic, but do a proper photoshoot later and make a seperate attention whoring thread

The intercooler polishes out very quickly with a mild steel wool pad and an aluminium polish compound. I did a quick job where I could reach

__________________
ZStig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #319
ZStig
Major General
 
Drives: VT2-500 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

Posts: 7,174
iTrader: (3)

I'm gonna work on the intercooler opening next
__________________
ZStig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2011, 09:48 AM   #320
Beedub
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 3,839
iTrader: (0)

the car look like it wants to fight over nothing..............
i really like this setup, can we get some more detailed upclose shots of the tyre to arch relationship.....
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Beedub is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #321
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
 
esqu1re's Avatar
 
Drives: M Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: East Coast

Posts: 1,857
iTrader: (0)

Roffle, would the plastic mesh on the bumper not fit over the intercooler? Sorry if already covered.
__________________


///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
esqu1re is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #322
ZStig
Major General
 
Drives: VT2-500 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

Posts: 7,174
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
the car look like it wants to fight over nothing..............
i really like this setup, can we get some more detailed upclose shots of the tyre to arch relationship.....
I have 2 "fitment" shots on my dslr I took this morning, but I'm at work. No protrusions from the top of the fender

I really like how the black wheels tie in the black grille and roof now
__________________
ZStig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2011, 10:10 AM   #323
ZStig
Major General
 
Drives: VT2-500 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

Posts: 7,174
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqu1re View Post
Roffle, would the plastic mesh on the bumper not fit over the intercooler? Sorry if already covered.
The stock grille fit, but I wanted something more "in your face"

I got 2 pieces of aluminium for the sides that I'll work into something interesting this weekend to make it match the lines of the bumper better, and hide the little gap on the sides on the intercooler
__________________
ZStig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #324
cliffhopper
Captain
 
Drives: 2013 Golf TDI
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Costa Mesa

Posts: 775
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
I really like how the black wheels tie in the black grille and roof now
I have decided to get black wheels based on that observation.
cliffhopper is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2011, 12:02 PM   #325
Beedub
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 3,839
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhopper View Post
I have decided to get black wheels based on that observation.
yup i jumped on that look a while ago ;-) looks really nice!!

ok ok ok if i can find a wheel with +32 upfront and +25 in the rear in either 18" or 19" thats under 18lbs then im in........ theirs two that i really like the Te37SL and the BBS Fi.... one of them is the wrong offsets completely, the other costs nearly 8000 Bills!!

i would definatly like to drop some weight from my wheels, especially as my BBK was 6-10lbs lighter Per Corner ;-)

love the look of the car, its really looking abit beastly now, with the intercooler on show it looks like you really dont want to mess with it or you'll get a bloody nose.... bet your really pleased when you walk up to her to drive home :-) well done...... Very well done.
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.

Last edited by Beedub; 10-14-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Beedub is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #326
ZStig
Major General
 
Drives: VT2-500 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

Posts: 7,174
iTrader: (3)

Don't go 19", the tires are often 2-3lbs heavier per corner, at the worst spots (outside rotation), plus you have little sidewall flex in the rear to put the power down!

Thanks again for the compliments. I walked away from it to go to work, and then 20 feet later came back for a second look. hahahahah
__________________
ZStig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #327
johanness
Banned
 
Drives: 2008 Z4MC
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Seattle, Vancouver

Posts: 1,741
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
lookin good Roffle
johanness is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #328
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2006 M Roadster
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 1,655
iTrader: (2)

Looking good, those new wheels look mean. You should do tekarbons with blacked out housings so you match your blacked out wheels and grills. Not crazy about the exposed intercooler.
__________________
beta is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #329
Beedub
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 3,839
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
Looking good, those new wheels look mean. You should do tekarbons with blacked out housings so you match your blacked out wheels and grills. Not crazy about the exposed intercooler.
i do think the blacked out teckarbon lights would look sick on our cars!!
i wish import costs werent so high for me as id have already it!!
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Beedub is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2011, 09:44 PM   #330
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2006 M Roadster
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 1,655
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
i do think the blacked out teckarbon lights would look sick on our cars!!
i wish import costs werent so high for me as id have already it!!
I understand that you can ship your parts for "repair and return" so you can at least avoid import duties, shipping cost is still pretty high.
__________________
beta is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 AM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST