ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #67
Z4-VILLA
Banned
 
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Classified

Posts: 2,460
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Z4-VILLA
OK so if anyone wants to help me out with this that would be great. All I would need is for someone to their Drive shaft to the builder and it should go smoothly from there.

That is of course if you dont mind being without your D/S for about a month.

Looking forward to any suggestions. :-)
Z4-VILLA is offline   Afghanistan
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 09:52 AM   #68
ZStig
Major General
 
Drives: VT2-500 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

Posts: 7,174
iTrader: (3)

I thought you were sending in a driveshaft?
__________________
ZStig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #69
ZStig
Major General
 
Drives: VT2-500 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

Posts: 7,174
iTrader: (3)

is this going anywhere?
__________________
ZStig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2011, 05:52 AM   #70
ANILE8
Lieutenant
 
ANILE8's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 501
iTrader: (0)

I'll rather stick with the longevity of the OEM steel unit which is virtually indestructible and race tested.

Interesting technology though.
__________________


StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-11 | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Front Camber Kit | TMS Rear Camber Arms
ANILE8 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2011, 10:26 AM   #71
Z4-VILLA
Banned
 
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Classified

Posts: 2,460
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Z4-VILLA
You can keep your OEM stuff.....and yes I am still working on this....
Z4-VILLA is offline   Afghanistan
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #72
BTM
Banned
 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

Posts: 10,314
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
LOL...never came back in here to read everything....

FWIW I was not dumping on your thread or saying you didn't know what you were talking about. Apologies that's the way you took it, but your responses to my inquiries were not met very politely either. I was merely imploring you to provide more information on this and your supplier, which came in 40-25% higher than you estimated, but not too bad and not prohibitively expensive. As I initially suggested - once you provided the information regarding cost and production that I was asking for, the interest in your endeavor grew.

Just because someone is asking questions does not mean they are attacking you or insinuating you don't know what you're talking about, keep this in mind, as people ask questions to get answers, not for smartass retorts. On my end, I could have phrased my initial cost concern better, and I will attempt to do so in the future. This forum is one of the more mature ones out there and I think it's in everyone's interest to keep it civil.

Kudos to keeping up with this
BTM is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #73
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
 
Twisted Six's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4si-coupe
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: -Laguna Beach Ca.

Posts: 1,471
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
LOL...never came back in here to read everything....

FWIW I was not dumping on your thread or saying you didn't know what you were talking about. Apologies that's the way you took it, but your responses to my inquiries were not met very politely either. I was merely imploring you to provide more information on this and your supplier, which came in 40-25% higher than you estimated, but not too bad and not prohibitively expensive. As I initially suggested - once you provided the information regarding cost and production that I was asking for, the interest in your endeavor grew.

Just because someone is asking questions does not mean they are attacking you or insinuating you don't know what you're talking about, keep this in mind, as people ask questions to get answers, not for smartass retorts. On my end, I could have phrased my initial cost concern better, and I will attempt to do so in the future. This forum is one of the more mature ones out there and I think it's in everyone's interest to keep it civil.

Kudos to keeping up with this
Twisted Six is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #74
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
 
mfanatic325's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '04 325Ci
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cupertino, CA.

Posts: 3,670
iTrader: (20)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to mfanatic325
Damn, what a gentleman. Cheers for being gentlemanly

__________________
VF570 S/C|TIAL BOV|SetRabCooler|Brembo GT 6/4|TE37s|NT05s|3.91 Gearing|TCK D/A|RPi Induction|SS Race Mufflers/X-pipe|JVT Headers|AS SSK|VibraTechnics Mounts|Sparco Pro2000/6pt.Harness|MS FloorMounts|SE Custom Harness Bar|Tekarbon Angels|M-Tech Pedals|OE Strut Bar|RE RSMs|8000K D2S|CDV DEL|CF Roof Wrap|MB Grills|UUC TrannyMounts/ClutchStop|V1 Mount|P3C Gauge
mfanatic325 is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #75
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
 
esqu1re's Avatar
 
Drives: M Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: East Coast

Posts: 1,858
iTrader: (0)

$1200 doesn't sound that much for a CF drive shaft, considering that stupid interior cf parts cost almost half that much.
__________________


///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
esqu1re is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #76
ajw45
Private First Class
 
Drives: Z4M Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Boston

Posts: 121
iTrader: (0)

I'm interested in one of these as well. Anyone know the weight of the stock unit? My only concern would be whether the stock unit is so short/not heavy enough that the gains on the cf shaft aren't worth the expense....
ajw45 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-26-2011, 12:42 AM   #77
Z4-VILLA
Banned
 
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Classified

Posts: 2,460
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Z4-VILLA
Its still gonna be a Biatch to get anyone to donate their Shaft to this cause....thats the main concern initially....
Z4-VILLA is offline   Afghanistan
0
Reply With Quote
      10-26-2011, 08:26 AM   #78
ZStig
Major General
 
Drives: VT2-500 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

Posts: 7,174
iTrader: (3)

car-parts.com
__________________
ZStig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #79
ZStig
Major General
 
Drives: VT2-500 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

Posts: 7,174
iTrader: (3)

Anyone wanna pick this up again?
__________________
ZStig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #80
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
 
Twisted Six's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4si-coupe
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: -Laguna Beach Ca.

Posts: 1,471
iTrader: (6)

I just cut the aluminum flanges off of a OEM FORD truck CF shaft......and it was actually a thin walled aluminum sleeved with CF only to add strength.

I wonder if that is common practice ?
Twisted Six is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #81
ZStig
Major General
 
Drives: VT2-500 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL

Posts: 7,174
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Schnitzer View Post
I just cut the aluminum flanges off of a OEM FORD truck CF shaft......and it was actually a thin walled aluminum sleeved with CF only to add strength.

I wonder if that is common practice ?
Hard to say.. I've noticed several manufacturers have OEM CF driveshafts based on a simple ebay search. To me, it doesn't matter, as long as its much lighter than stock.

Evosport offers CF e46 driveshafts for about $1700 and promises an increase of 5% power to the wheels. http://www.evosport.com/product/vehi...s/BMW_Race.pdf

for my application that would be 420rwhp * 5% = 21 extra RWHP. Assumed across most of the powerband which is VERY important and noticeable.
__________________
ZStig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #82
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
 
Twisted Six's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4si-coupe
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: -Laguna Beach Ca.

Posts: 1,471
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
Hard to say.. I've noticed several manufacturers have OEM CF driveshafts based on a simple ebay search. To me, it doesn't matter, as long as its much lighter than stock.

Evosport offers CF e46 driveshafts for about $1700 and promises an increase of 5% power to the wheels. http://www.evosport.com/product/vehi...s/BMW_Race.pdf

for my application that would be 420rwhp * 5% = 21 extra RWHP. Assumed across most of the powerband which is VERY important and noticeable.
Not to mention longer joint life due to less lash pounding of its own weight-( I would think?).

The alloy yokes were definatly sturdy and light.....but a pretty large diameter.
Twisted Six is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #83
Z4-VILLA
Banned
 
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Classified

Posts: 2,460
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Z4-VILLA
We would need someone close to Clearwater Florida for the R&D


Advantages of Carbon Fiber

•Lighter than steel or aluminum.
•Three times torsional strength of steel.
•Torsional spring rate allows better tire hook-up.
•Torsional spring rate allows smoother shifting.
•Less shock load to the differential.
•Eliminates or dampens high speed vibrations.
•Reduces transmission and differential breakage.
•Characteristics can be varied by changing the wind, angles or diameter. PST offers both steel and 7075 Billet Aluminum yokes.
•In drag racing applications - a better 60 Ft. time.
•ET's have been lowered in some cases by as much as .120.
•In stock car racing better control out of corners is the result of the torsional spring rate.
•In road racing smoother shifting and better durability of transmission and differential have been reported.
•Tested on Cobra's at 180 MPH on Dyno with no vibrations.
•A much greater safety factor - carbon fiber will return to a fiber and not create shrapnel under the car, as would aluminum or steel shafts.
Z4-VILLA is offline   Afghanistan
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #84
Beedub
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 3,901
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar vs Sonar View Post
We would need someone close to Clearwater Florida for the R&D


Advantages of Carbon Fiber

•Lighter than steel or aluminum.
•Three times torsional strength of steel.
•Torsional spring rate allows better tire hook-up.
•Torsional spring rate allows smoother shifting.
•Less shock load to the differential.
•Eliminates or dampens high speed vibrations.
•Reduces transmission and differential breakage.
•Characteristics can be varied by changing the wind, angles or diameter. PST offers both steel and 7075 Billet Aluminum yokes.
•In drag racing applications - a better 60 Ft. time.
•ET's have been lowered in some cases by as much as .120.
•In stock car racing better control out of corners is the result of the torsional spring rate.
•In road racing smoother shifting and better durability of transmission and differential have been reported.
•Tested on Cobra's at 180 MPH on Dyno with no vibrations.
•A much greater safety factor - carbon fiber will return to a fiber and not create shrapnel under the car, as would aluminum or steel shafts.
i really want one of these for the z4m......
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Beedub is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #85
Z4-VILLA
Banned
 
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Classified

Posts: 2,460
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Z4-VILLA
at least 5% increase to RWHP
Z4-VILLA is offline   Afghanistan
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #86
Beedub
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK

Posts: 3,901
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar vs Sonar
at least 5% increase to RWHP
Ok ok what do we need to make this happen???
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Beedub is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #87
Z4-VILLA
Banned
 
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Classified

Posts: 2,460
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Z4-VILLA
Some one in Florida to man up
Z4-VILLA is offline   Afghanistan
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #88
Z4-VILLA
Banned
 
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Classified

Posts: 2,460
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Z4-VILLA
People here are lame, I tried getting someone in Florida to do it completely at my expense AND they could have kept the Driveshaft....but my offer was refused. lol
Z4-VILLA is offline   Afghanistan
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 PM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST