ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #45
BMW Maniac
First Lieutenant
United_States
8

 
Drives: Former Z4M coupe owner
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fayetteville, NC


Posts: 373
iTrader: (0)

I'm digging the Anthracite for my IB Z4M....or hyper?
__________________
1997 /// M3 Coupe Arctic Silver TRM S2 (545rwhp/520rwtq)
1991 Alpine White Turbocharged 325i (259rwhp/280rwtq)
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #46
zillaZ4
New Member
United_States
3

 
zillaZ4's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Davis, CA


Posts: 29
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2005 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Did anyone get 17x8.5 for a square setup on a lowers non-m z4?

My only concern is they are half an inch wider than stock of 17x8. Will that stretch the 225's a little? Would it be better to run a 235 on this wheel setup?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #47
3002 tii
Major General
United_States
309

 
3002 tii's Avatar
 
Drives: flat out
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NNJ


Posts: 8,489
iTrader: (49)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zillaZ4 View Post
Did anyone get 17x8.5 for a square setup on a lowers non-m z4?

My only concern is they are half an inch wider than stock of 17x8. Will that stretch the 225's a little? Would it be better to run a 235 on this wheel setup?
Will it be like those VW stancework GTI stretched? No but it's definitely not ideal. I would aim for 235 and could even go up as high as 255 if you have a little bit of camber. I think a 235/45 or 255/40 would be best since it keeps you closest to stock height of 17". FWIW, I run a 235/40 on my 18x8.5" square and I find it pretty neutral.

Thing with 225 is even if it's not stretched, you're not leaving yourself a lot of rim protection and you'll find yourself curbing those new rims pretty quickly.
__________________

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #48
zillaZ4
New Member
United_States
3

 
zillaZ4's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Davis, CA


Posts: 29
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2005 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
Will it be like those VW stancework GTI stretched? No but it's definitely not ideal. I would aim for 235 and could even go up as high as 255 if you have a little bit of camber. I think a 235/45 or 255/40 would be best since it keeps you closest to stock height of 17". FWIW, I run a 235/40 on my 18x8.5" square and I find it pretty neutral.

Thing with 225 is even if it's not stretched, you're not leaving yourself a lot of rim protection and you'll find yourself curbing those new rims pretty quickly.
Thanks a lot dubbedown.. yeah the stretched look is definitely not what I'm aiming for :-) I'll look into the 235 if I choose to buy these wheels. I have some forgestar 18's but the ride was not what I cared for (and i chose a staggered setup which i also don't want) so 17's is what I'm looking at. Gotta make sure I get things right for my needs this time ;-)

Does anyone know an appropriate offset for these 17's with 235s? Is the et40 on the first post just the max or is that the recommended offset for 17x8.5? I'm on a lowered (dinan) setup with stock camber (-.7) up front and about -2.1 in the back, if that helps

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #49
3002 tii
Major General
United_States
309

 
3002 tii's Avatar
 
Drives: flat out
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NNJ


Posts: 8,489
iTrader: (49)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zillaZ4 View Post
Thanks a lot dubbedown.. yeah the stretched look is definitely not what I'm aiming for :-) I'll look into the 235 if I choose to buy these wheels. I have some forgestar 18's but the ride was not what I cared for (and i chose a staggered setup which i also don't want) so 17's is what I'm looking at. Gotta make sure I get things right for my needs this time ;-)

Does anyone know an appropriate offset for these 17's with 235s? Is the et40 on the first post just the max or is that the recommended offset for 17x8.5? I'm on a lowered (dinan) setup with stock camber (-.7) up front and about -2.1 in the back, if that helps

Thanks in advance!
The appropriate offset partly depends on the tires you want to run. If this is just street, 235's should be fine with et40 but 255's may rub strut side which in that case you'd probably want a lower offset (or run a spacer to push them out). You're best asking paintpro (apex's sales rep) directly for fitment issues
__________________

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #50
Eddy@ApexRaceParts
BimmerPost Supporting Dealership
109


 
Drives: E30 M3, 2011 335d
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA


Posts: 1,604
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpapostolis View Post
I'd like to run 18x8.5 ET38 with 225-40R18 front and 18x9.5 ET35 with 255-35R18 rear on a non-M Z4 coupe. Will I have any problems with the offset? Also will I be able to add a bbk kit on the fronts?
The rear fitment will be tight. We have not tested this combo. There's a good chance it would clear by a few millimeters, but a roll may be needed. We have a local customer with a non-m. The next time they are by the shop, we will test this fitment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zillaZ4
Did anyone get 17x8.5 for a square setup on a lowers non-m z4?

My only concern is they are half an inch wider than stock of 17x8. Will that stretch the 225's a little? Would it be better to run a 235 on this wheel setup?
17x8.5" ET40 with 235/40/17 is a very, very easy fit. Even 245/40/17 is an easy fit front and rear.

The most conservative setup I would run on the non-m Z4 is 245's on 17x8.5's.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #51
zillaZ4
New Member
United_States
3

 
zillaZ4's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Davis, CA


Posts: 29
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2005 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpro21 View Post
The rear fitment will be tight. We have not tested this combo. There's a good chance it would clear by a few millimeters, but a roll may be needed. We have a local customer with a non-m. The next time they are by the shop, we will test this fitment.



17x8.5" ET40 with 235/40/17 is a very, very easy fit. Even 245/40/17 is an easy fit front and rear.

The most conservative setup I would run on the non-m Z4 is 245's on 17x8.5's.
Thank you very much paintpro... Looks like i'll have to wait until my existing 225 PS2's are worn out before switching over :-) My only remaining question would be, you said 245/40/17 where the 17's aspect ratio is usually 45 (like 225/45/17 i run now). Would a 45 be fine, or do you indeed mean a 40 is what is needed for this setup. Don't mean to nit pick, just want to make sure i have my numbers straight when I decide to pull the trigger on this buy.

Thanks once again, awesome looking wheels.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #52
lpapostolis
New Member
Greece
1

 
lpapostolis's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4 Coupe 3.0Si
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Greece


Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpro21 View Post
The rear fitment will be tight. We have not tested this combo. There's a good chance it would clear by a few millimeters, but a roll may be needed. We have a local customer with a non-m. The next time they are by the shop, we will test this fitment.
That would be great! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #53
Eddy@ApexRaceParts
BimmerPost Supporting Dealership
109


 
Drives: E30 M3, 2011 335d
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA


Posts: 1,604
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zillaZ4 View Post
Thank you very much paintpro... Looks like i'll have to wait until my existing 225 PS2's are worn out before switching over :-) My only remaining question would be, you said 245/40/17 where the 17's aspect ratio is usually 45 (like 225/45/17 i run now). Would a 45 be fine, or do you indeed mean a 40 is what is needed for this setup. Don't mean to nit pick, just want to make sure i have my numbers straight when I decide to pull the trigger on this buy.

Thanks once again, awesome looking wheels.
The 45 number is a percentage of the width. It by itself does say how tall the sidewall is.

45% of 225mm is very similar to 40% of 245mm. There is only a 1% difference it height between the two tires which is more than acceptable in a tire size change. 245/45/17 in comparison is almost 3% taller than stock.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 02:57 AM   #54
donoman
Rookie
9

 
Drives: 06 Z4MC
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Santa Clara, CA


Posts: 343
iTrader: (1)

Apex, can you guys update this thread for 17" non M fitments? Thx
__________________
2003 Z4 2.5i
2006 Z4MC
1990 911 C2
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 06:16 PM   #55
ApexRaceParts
BimmerPost Supporting Dealership
52


 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bay Area


Posts: 791
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donoman View Post
Apex, can you guys update this thread for 17" non M fitments? Thx
Front wheel and tire fitment is very similar to the Z4M but the rear wheel and tire fitments are more conservative. Generally the front can take a 17x8.5" ET40 with a 235/40/17 tire as a direct fitment. A 17x9" ET42 can also be used in the front with a 245/40/17 tire but anything much wider will require negative camber and a wheel spacer to clear the front strut. The 17x9" ET42 can be used in the rear as a square set up or the widest rear wheel you can use is our 17x9.5" ET35 with a 255/40/17 tire as a staggered fitment. There are a couple other variations of the 17" wheel fitment that can also be done.
__________________
| Product Specialist | Phone: 925.245.0773 | Email: info@apexraceparts.com |

Website |Facebook | Instagram |Blog |
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #56
TAL2GK
Enlisted Member
2

 
TAL2GK's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Charlotte, NC


Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

Joe,

I've got a stock non-M 2.5i I've owned since new 2003 and am impressed with your wheels. Truthfully, mine has always been a street-only ride and I'm looking at 18" diameter. What setup would you recommend and does tire size affect availability and options when buying rubber?

Also, would you recommend the ARC-8 or EC-7 for a street Z4? I really don't understand the difference between the two. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #57
ApexRaceParts
BimmerPost Supporting Dealership
52


 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bay Area


Posts: 791
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAL2GK View Post
Joe,

I've got a stock non-M 2.5i I've owned since new 2003 and am impressed with your wheels. Truthfully, mine has always been a street-only ride and I'm looking at 18" diameter. What setup would you recommend and does tire size affect availability and options when buying rubber?

Also, would you recommend the ARC-8 or EC-7 for a street Z4? I really don't understand the difference between the two. Thanks!
Either wheel will work great on your Z4 but there are some slight differences between the two wheels that could be a deciding factor. The EC-7 is our newest wheel with a few new sizes that would work really well on your Z4, better than the ARC-8 too. The EC-7 has a little bit better big brake fitment and has a stronger wheel face than the ARC-8 wheel.

The ARC-8 is usually a couple lbs lighter per wheel and has straight spokes compared to the EC-7's curved spokes.

If you were to go with the EC-7's I would suggest an 18x8.5" ET35 front wheel with a 235/40/18 tire and an 18x9.5" ET43 rear wheel with a 265/35/18 rear tire. The 18x9.5" ET43 is a new size to us that is a higher offset 9.5" wheel allowing you to use wider rear tires than with the ARC-8 wheel.

If you were to go with the ARC-8's than I would suggest an 18x8.5" ET38 front wheel with a 235/40/18 tire and an 18x9.5" ET35 rear wheel with a 255/35/18 rear tire. The ARC-8's lower offset limits your rear tire width but the wheels would be lighter overall.
__________________
| Product Specialist | Phone: 925.245.0773 | Email: info@apexraceparts.com |

Website |Facebook | Instagram |Blog |
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #58
lrcigar
Enlisted Member
United_States
5

 
Drives: 2003 2.5 Roadster
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC and PA.


Posts: 45
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@ApexRaceParts View Post
Either wheel will work great on your Z4 but there are some slight differences between the two wheels that could be a deciding factor. The EC-7 is our newest wheel with a few new sizes that would work really well on your Z4, better than the ARC-8 too. The EC-7 has a little bit better big brake fitment and has a stronger wheel face than the ARC-8 wheel.

The ARC-8 is usually a couple lbs lighter per wheel and has straight spokes compared to the EC-7's curved spokes.

If you were to go with the EC-7's I would suggest an 18x8.5" ET35 front wheel with a 235/40/18 tire and an 18x9.5" ET43 rear wheel with a 265/35/18 rear tire. The 18x9.5" ET43 is a new size to us that is a higher offset 9.5" wheel allowing you to use wider rear tires than with the ARC-8 wheel.

If you were to go with the ARC-8's than I would suggest an 18x8.5" ET38 front wheel with a 235/40/18 tire and an 18x9.5" ET35 rear wheel with a 255/35/18 rear tire. The ARC-8's lower offset limits your rear tire width but the wheels would be lighter overall.

I have a 2003 2.5i non m, and non sport. Already have the ARC-8's 18x8.5" ET38 front, and 18x9" ET42 rear. I have Hankook Ventus V12's 225/40/18 on the front, and 255/35/18 V12's on the rears. Since then I installed HR coilovers and lowered the car. The way it sits now there's no rubbing. I would like to replace the tires with Ventus V12's 235/40/18 front and 265/35/18 rears. In your products detail for non M's it says that the 235/40/18 can be used in the front and 265/35/18 can be used in the rear depending on the tire. Do you think there may be an issue because the car was lowered? The coilovers are adjustable so I can make changes as needed.

thanks
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #59
ApexRaceParts
BimmerPost Supporting Dealership
52


 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bay Area


Posts: 791
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrcigar View Post
I have a 2003 2.5i non m, and non sport. Already have the ARC-8's 18x8.5" ET38 front, and 18x9" ET42 rear. I have Hankook Ventus V12's 225/40/18 on the front, and 255/35/18 V12's on the rears. Since then I installed HR coilovers and lowered the car. The way it sits now there's no rubbing. I would like to replace the tires with Ventus V12's 235/40/18 front and 265/35/18 rears. In your products detail for non M's it says that the 235/40/18 can be used in the front and 265/35/18 can be used in the rear depending on the tire. Do you think there may be an issue because the car was lowered? The coilovers are adjustable so I can make changes as needed.

thanks
With your current wheel sizes and the Hankook V12's in 235/40/18 and 265/35/18 I do not foresee problems or rubbing even when you are stepping up to those larger sizes. We actually recommend using those tire sizes right from the start and they will fit much better on your wheels than the narrower set up you had before.
__________________
| Product Specialist | Phone: 925.245.0773 | Email: info@apexraceparts.com |

Website |Facebook | Instagram |Blog |
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #60
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
187

 
nmulax's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Metro-Detroit


Posts: 4,324
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [3.83]
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a set of ARC-8s and PSS tires, but still unsure on a few things.

Love the look of GothM's car here.
I'm on H&R springs too, so assuming the F: 18x9 et42 245/40/18 and R: 18x10 et25 275/35/18 combo would work and won't rub - without the need for spacers or additional camber?
When I install coilovers/camber-plates next year, can I keep these same wheels?
GothM mentioned he uses a 15mm spring pad. Anyone know where can I pick these up?

What length valve stems will I need for the new wheels?
36111095375 / 36146792829 43mm (RDV 001)
36111096449 / 36146792830 48mm (RDV 002)
36111095374 / 36146792828 49mm (RDV 003)
36111095373 / 36146792827 51mm (RDV 004)

Besides the ability to rotate; what are the advantages of the square setup?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #61
ApexRaceParts
BimmerPost Supporting Dealership
52


 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bay Area


Posts: 791
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a set of ARC-8s and PSS tires, but still unsure on a few things.

Love the look of GothM's car here.
I'm on H&R springs too, so assuming the F: 18x9 et42 245/40/18 and R: 18x10 et25 275/35/18 combo would work and won't rub - without the need for spacers or additional camber?
When I install coilovers/camber-plates next year, can I keep these same wheels?
GothM mentioned he uses a 15mm spring pad. Anyone know where can I pick these up?

What length valve stems will I need for the new wheels?
36111095375 / 36146792829 43mm (RDV 001)
36111096449 / 36146792830 48mm (RDV 002)
36111095374 / 36146792828 49mm (RDV 003)
36111095373 / 36146792827 51mm (RDV 004)

Besides the ability to rotate; what are the advantages of the square setup?
The 18x9" ET42 w/ 245/40/18 and 18x10" ET25 w/ 275/35/18 wheel and tire set up should work great on your car even with the lowering springs you have installed. This set up will also work just as well with the coilovers and camber plates that you have planned to install down the road.

When going to a square set up most people usually have the camber plates already installed on the car so they can fit much larger wheels and tires up front than they would with a car with stock negative camber. The 18x9" ET42 with a 245/40/18 tire is the widest combination we can make work on the front of a Z4M with out additional negative camber. Once camber plates are installed than you are able to use an 18x9.5" ET35 in the front with a 265/35/18 tire. Grip is greatly improved in the front end of the car and you are also not sacrificing rear wheel and tire width/grip like you would be if you had stock negative camber up front. So the largest benefit if you have camber plates up front is the increase in front end grip and decrease in understeer. If you only have stock negative camber up front than the largest benefit you would see is just the ability to rotate your wheels and tires.

As for valve stem measurements we always just go by the stock or oem lengths.
__________________
| Product Specialist | Phone: 925.245.0773 | Email: info@apexraceparts.com |

Website |Facebook | Instagram |Blog |
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #62
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
187

 
nmulax's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Metro-Detroit


Posts: 4,324
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [3.83]
Joe,
The 18x10 with 275/35/18 rear vs. 18x9.5 with 265/35/18… is this just about looks from behind, or is there a slight performance edge? Since in your PM you said they share the same concave face.

Also, will I nee extended lug-bolts (or a stud conversion) to handle the new wheels?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #63
ApexRaceParts
BimmerPost Supporting Dealership
52


 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bay Area


Posts: 791
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
Joe,
The 18x10 with 275/35/18 rear vs. 18x9.5 with 265/35/18… is this just about looks from behind, or is there a slight performance edge? Since in your PM you said they share the same concave face.

Also, I'll need extended lug-bolts (or a stud conversion) to handle the new offset correct?
That is correct, all of our 18" concave ARC-8 wheels share the same wheel face whether you are looking at the most conservative 18x9.5" ET35 or the widest 18x10.5" ET27 wheel.

The 18x10" ET25 with the 275/35/18 in the staggered configuration will provide more rear grip than the 18x9.5" ET35 in the square configuration. The square configured car will have much more balance and feel more neutral as a track set up. The 18x9.5" ET35 in the rear of the Z4M is a conservative fitment but is required when doing the 18x9.5" square set up because any lower of an offset wheel will be much too aggressive of a fitment for the front of the car. Most people will just install a 12mm or larger rear wheel spacer to fill in the fender more for a more flush to the fender and pleasing aesthetic look.

You will need either extended lug bolts or a stud kit when ever using wheel spacers.
__________________
| Product Specialist | Phone: 925.245.0773 | Email: info@apexraceparts.com |

Website |Facebook | Instagram |Blog |
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 03:10 AM   #64
StigJ
Second Lieutenant
Norway
16

 
StigJ's Avatar
 
Drives: '06 Z4 Coupe 3.0Si
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Stavanger, Norway


Posts: 282
iTrader: (0)

Im considering some ACR 8s for my SI Coupe, but I see that you are out of stock of the 9,5x18 ET35 in Hyper Silver. Any idea when they are back in stock?
And are you planning of making a new Group Buy with the ACR 8s?
__________________

Hellrot '06 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe
Starlight Blue '13 MINI Paceman Cooper
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #65
Platinum Child
Private First Class
9

 
Platinum Child's Avatar
 
Drives: Tiag z4mc
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: new jersey


Posts: 156
iTrader: (0)

Im running:

18x9.5 et22 245/40 soon to be 265/35 hankook r-s3
18x10 et25 275/35 soon to be 285/35 r-s3
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #66
David@ApexRaceParts
BimmerPost Supporting Dealership
98


 
David@ApexRaceParts's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bay Area


Posts: 1,454
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigJ View Post
Im considering some ACR 8s for my SI Coupe, but I see that you are out of stock of the 9,5x18 ET35 in Hyper Silver. Any idea when they are back in stock?
And are you planning of making a new Group Buy with the ACR 8s?
We will be receiving more of the Hyper Silver ARC-8s in 18x9.5" ET35 in mid May. We do not currently have plans for another Group Buy in the near future as we just had two very recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum Child View Post
Im running:

18x9.5 et22 245/40 soon to be 265/35 hankook r-s3
18x10 et25 275/35 soon to be 285/35 r-s3
Is this on the M? What are your suspension and alignment specifications? That's a pretty aggresssive tire setup in the front and rear! I'd love to see photos of that setup when you have it!
__________________

| David D. | 925.245.0773 x802 | david@apexraceparts.com | Facebook | Blog |
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
18x10, 18x9.5, apex, arc-8, arc8

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:34 PM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST