ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-13-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
wildag
///M'n it Up
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 ///M Roadster

Z4 Blowing only hot air, at random

My Z4M has this little bug where the air conditioning system will go into a "blow only hot air" mode. It happens randomly, about 3 times a week. Only shutting off the car for 20 minutes will fix the situation.

The dealer has replaced the IHKA (ac control) module, but the problem remains. They tell me that the IHKA module reports that it can't control the internal duct doors that direct air to the console vents. The module then goes into an "emergency" mode where it ensures that hot air is available to melt snow/ice off the windshield if necessary.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 08:37 AM   #2
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Did a politician own it at some point?

And to be serious, no, I have not had this problem. I wonder, the inability to control the duct doors - could it be that something has gotten lodged in the mechanism preventing the doors from operating correctly?

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
wildag
///M'n it Up
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Did a politician own it at some point?

And to be serious, no, I have not had this problem. I wonder, the inability to control the duct doors - could it be that something has gotten lodged in the mechanism preventing the doors from operating correctly?
I know that they've had the center console apart, so I assume that they'd have investigated that. I may get up under there myself if the they can't figure out something today.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildag View Post
I know that they've had the center console apart, so I assume that they'd have investigated that. I may get up under there myself if the they can't figure out something today.
What is the dealers next move? The car is under warranty and your AC system is malfunctioning. They need to figure it out. Sounds like they need more time. I wouldn't spend any of my own time on it when the car is under warranty... Get a loaner until they fix it.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
wildag
///M'n it Up
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
What is the dealers next move? The car is under warranty and your AC system is malfunctioning. They need to figure it out. Sounds like they need more time. I wouldn't spend any of my own time on it when the car is under warranty... Get a loaner until they fix it.
Oh yea, they'll be catching heck from me, through BMWNA, if its not fixed with this round of service. But because they seem to be completely incapable of identifying the issue, and I'm driving a car that's constantly 90 degrees inside, I'm willing to try my own hand.

I'm waiting for a loaner right now. They say 3 - 4 hours for the waiting list
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

It certainly seems that the dealer should replace the entire system for you to eliminate the problem.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #7
Valarr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

No help but one of the gremlins in my car will randomly take control of the vent controls. It will decide @ random which vents to blow air out of- the controls do nothing when it occurs. It switches randomly between vents.
Happened 2x now.

Another gremlin controls the heat/cold and will only permit cold air to be emitted until the temp control knob is switched back to cold then later to hot.

My conclusion? It's either cursed or infested by gremlins.

So, subscribed in case you post a solution (I'm thinking the problems are similar).
      01-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #8
hansaysso
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC, 93 RX7 FD3S

I had this same problem in my Z4MC. I took it into the dealership, they gave me a loaner, and the next day problem solved. Sorry if it isn't helpful at all, but they did this all under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 07:13 PM   #9
wildag
///M'n it Up
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansaysso View Post
I had this same problem in my Z4MC. I took it into the dealership, they gave me a loaner, and the next day problem solved. Sorry if it isn't helpful at all, but they did this all under warranty.
Would you mind calling up your dealership and getting a summary or work order that explains what they did? I'd appreciate it very much!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 05:50 AM   #10
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansaysso View Post
No paperwork when you picked up the car? It should list what was done(parts replaced, ect.) to fix the issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #11
wildag
///M'n it Up
United_States
Rep

Got the car back from the dealer. They said that the tech found a broken motor for one of the internal ducts. I don't know why they couldn't have found this during one of the last three times I had a tech look at the car. The air coniditioning system operated normally on my drive home.

Replaced so far...

IHKA Module
Passenger's side footwell stepper motor

If I don't update this thread in the future, that means the problem has been fixed.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #12
hansaysso
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC, 93 RX7 FD3S

sorry that I didn't get back to you. Paperwork wise same things as you have already listed were replaced.

IHKA Module

anyone else have this issue? it may be a factory faulty part?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #13
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Interesting that both cars received exactly the same fix. Must be a common issue. I will remember this thread.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 06:30 AM   #14
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildag View Post
Got the car back from the dealer. They said that the tech found a broken motor for one of the internal ducts. I don't know why they couldn't have found this during one of the last three times I had a tech look at the car. The air coniditioning system operated normally on my drive home.

Replaced so far...

IHKA Module

If I don't update this thread in the future, that means the problem has been fixed.
I get no air directed to the console vents either but all other vent directions are working fine. Assume I can replace this same motor and problem will be fixed? Can anyone comment?
Appreciate 0