ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-15-2018, 09:23 AM   #1
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Clutch Master/Slave

At 70,000 miles I've developed a "hitch" in the clutch pedal throw/feel when the car is cold. I'm hoping it is the clutch master cylinder or slave and thinking I'll replace them both. Doesn't look like a terribly fun job getting at the master and dealing with brake fluid is always so much fun. Removing the slave could possibly be a pain as there isn't much room down there.

Has anyone got experience replacing these on their Z4 (assuming same for M as non-M)? I'll have the car on stands (no-lift). How much of a hassle is this?

Thx.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 08:40 AM   #2
elerner61
Major
Rep

Oink!. Guess I'll be the "guinea pig" on this one.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 04:34 PM   #3
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

Let us know- btw what ever happened to the supposedly "kosher" pig?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 09:46 AM   #4
elerner61
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garz747 View Post
Let us know- btw what ever happened to the supposedly "kosher" pig?
Haven't tackled this yet. Not sure what you mean by kosher pig?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 10:45 AM   #5
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

This isn't going to help you much, but if memory serves, the clutch slave cylinder isn't hard to remove. At least from the few times I've bled the slave cylinder, the way and angle it was attached it's not hard to get a set of wrenches up there.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ion-hydraulic/

Both look straight forward, but I've not had to remove either on any of my BMWs prior so take THAT with a grain of salt.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 12:25 PM   #6
elerner61
Major
Rep

Thanks, that does help a little. I've never had to bleed air out of my slave cylinder, so I've never had to remove it. I've been able to keep the slave in place and use a vacuum bleeder to do flushes. As I'll need to bleed air this time since I'm replacing the slave, I figure I'll need to have slave connected to the line to do the bleed.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 09:44 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I'd try bleeding the clutch hydraulics first. Take my advice, use a power bleeder. If you try to bleed it by pumping the pedal, you may not get any pressure back; that happened to me in my E90. With my Z4 I pressure bled the brakes and clutch all at one time.

I've owned BMWs for 30 years and 850,000 miles (4 cars total), all manuals, never lost either a master or slave cylinder, so I'd say it's a rare event. If you are going to replace the hydraulics, just start with the slave cylinder, it takes 30 minutes to change out including bleeding. Maybe the throwout bearing is bad... or the throwout bearing guide.

My 2 cents.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 11:26 AM   #8
elerner61
Major
Rep

I try not to have to re-do things. If I change the slave first and that doesn’t solve the problem, then when I change the master (both much cheaper and quicker than anything else that could be the culprit) I have to re-bleed the slave again. I have replacements for both on the bench. Will bite the bullet, change both and reset the clock on those two.

Maybe I’ll tackle it this week. I’m off on a staycation this week but may just not feel like being on my back (my aging back) under a dashboard. The hammock and some “lubrication” seems much more comfortable
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 02:42 PM   #9
dschultz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
Maybe I’ll tackle it this week. I’m off on a staycation this week but may just not feel like being on my back (my aging back) under a dashboard. The hammock and some “lubrication” seems much more comfortable
I hear that! Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 02:12 PM   #10
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I try not to have to re-do things. If I change the slave first and that doesn’t solve the problem, then when I change the master (both much cheaper and quicker than anything else that could be the culprit) I have to re-bleed the slave again. I have replacements for both on the bench. Will bite the bullet, change both and reset the clock on those two.

With a power bleeder it takes only a few minutes. If you don't want to be on your back under the dash board, then drop out the slave and see if that solves it. If it does, then you can get back to your swingin' and lubin' staycation.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 01:24 PM   #11
elerner61
Major
Rep

Haven't tackled this. Was hot and humid while I was off. Slept late, hit the hammock and drank..oh and went for an epic night strafing run. Problem also seems to have decreased somewhat. Maybe the drinking helped it. Caught up in multi-evening detailing sessions now (maybe that will help the clutch feel too!). Will eventually get under the car and tackle this. Just hope a vacuum bleed (not a power bleed) will get all the air out of the slave.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 07:51 AM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Haven't tackled this. Was hot and humid while I was off. Slept late, hit the hammock and drank..oh and went for an epic night strafing run. Problem also seems to have decreased somewhat. Maybe the drinking helped it. Caught up in multi-evening detailing sessions now (maybe that will help the clutch feel too!). Will eventually get under the car and tackle this. Just hope a vacuum bleed (not a power bleed) will get all the air out of the slave.
I tried a vacuum bleed on my E90; it didn't work on the clutch system. Take my advice, get a power bleeder, it's much easier for brake and clutch system bleeding.
Appreciate 0