ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-11-2017, 08:27 PM   #1
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
303 Fabric Guard Application

I could not find anything newer than '08 on this subject. So I will cover my process which I will be doing tomorrow AM. I have taken pics of products and procedures, but I can't figure out how to Get my Google Chrome pics to post onto anything on this site. I will try harder to figure this out. Admin has some info on using a separate photo sharing site. Can anyone give me a simple solution ?......... My 06 Z4MR has just OK water repellency. After much research 303 won me over and was ordered ( along with 303 Aerospace Protectant ) Seems that after reading various detailing sites, which I do on the side, so this is more interesting to me than it probably should be, plus I'm very DETAIL oriented on this car. Or as my GF puts it, I'm obsessed. Anyway...people have 1) different application methods and 2) have overspray/cleanup problems, as the product dries quickly and can tend to smear on paint/glass I did my prep cleaning with mild car soap, lightly bushed in/rinsed a few days ago. Top must be dry. Today I vacuumed with shop vac. Used wide brush attachment then smaller brush/extractor attachment. Bristles are much shorter and stiffer on second attachment. Then I used a lint roller. 4 sheets. Took shots of how much black fuzzies came up on the paper. Will go over again in the AM, just to be sure everything not attached is off the top. I then covered the top in painters 3.5mm plastic tarp. A swarm of flying aphids starting landing on the top as soon as I finished with the lint roller. AARRGGG ! Used a new masking tape by Frogtape. It has " EDGE TECHNOLOGY " that acts as a barrier to latex paint. It's says MULTISURFACE, it's edges will leave some marks if you set it down on the paint. As I unexpectedly found out. I like try new things, we'll see how well it does to stop 303. Leaking through tape is what others had mentioned. Not realizing it, the 303 then bleeds through onto trim, paint and glass. It can be difficult to then remove. I'm going to spray/then brush-in, the big areas and brush the edges, so I basically covered the whole car in plastic. I cut a length from the middle of the rear glass, around the car and back to the other half of the back glass. I've had this box for years, it comes in handy for so many uses. The box is 3600 sq ft total. 9ft X 400ft. Tomorrow I will open the top slightly, and wrap the car in complete protection, then drop the top onto the plastic. The product suggested a well ventilated area. My 1930's garage is open air on the front. I will spray in the garage, unless there is no wind in the AM, then do the brushing at first light. Takes 6-12 hours to cure/dry, so I'm all set for the AM. Supposed to be 75 and Sunny ( love FL in Feb ) light winds, little foggy in the AM. May wait a bit if it is dewy fog.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 08:37 PM   #2
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

I did variations of what you did the first couple times I applied the 303. Now I just hold a towel in one hand to protect the immediate area I'm spraying and work my way around the periphery of the top, then spray the remaining areas. Works great.
The 303 will seep under the tape a bit no matter what you do I believe, by the way.
      02-11-2017, 08:43 PM   #3
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
The only tape I'm using is around the back glass for that very reason. I'm probably being overly cautious, but I've always been a big believer in spending a bit more prep time and have an easy cleanup. We shall see how this FROGTAPE with seep-proof technology does. I was able to run the edge of the tape to the SIDE EDGE of the rear glass trim, so as long as I don't really soak it, I'm hoping it will pose no problem.Name:  20170212_093914.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  444.8 KB

Last edited by JJZ4MR; 02-16-2017 at 07:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #4
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
OMG ! Not as easy as planned, but it's baking in the FL Sun at 10:30 AM now. Wrote to admin for help on how to post from my Google Photo Bucket.

Very little wind, decided to pull the car out, take protective top wrap off. I didn't want my car cover to leave any lint behind. Wrap my pre measured 9 ft wide car film section around entire vehicle. Raise top a bit, close onto plastic, shut doors with windows up...everything sealed. Thought that might take me 15 minutes....WRONG, it did not leave my self enough extra length a accommodate all the bending around the corners. It crossed my mind, but didn't think it through, so I was about 3 feet short. Another piece cut, some more tape to hold it all together, a few tools to hold it in place around the car...and done...about 45 mins later. Then 2 more sheets of the lint roller, just to make sure. Oh well, I like the learning process.

First off, full skin protection ( long sleeve Tshirt, tucked into Nitril gloves, painters mask, eye protection. 303 on the fine mist selection goes everywhere. I was glad I masked off the whole car. I could still get a whiff here and there. It's bad and poisonous.

I ended up putting down 4 coats. I used softer and softer brushes as I went. First was a long handled short nylon brush to get things going. Then a 2 inch wide chip brush ( sold at any big box store ). Then a two inch standard paint brush. I had smaller brushes and a couple sponge "brushes" on stand by, but didn't feel I needed them.

Without brushing in, the spray just sorta sat there. Brushing it in really got it down into the fibers of the top.

My last coat was with the same 2 inch soft bristled brush. I liberally applied just like paint on all the edges, seams and in a couple high wear areas. I ended up using Approx. 25 oz. I know this is heavy, as the bottle stated usage, but pro detailers say you really can't use too much. For $ 20/ 32OZ bottle, I think it's worth it. High today...81* and Sunny ! My car has 56K, so it's 11 years old and is still nice, but not perfect. On the rear quarter areas, there are some wear lines from the frame pressing on them. I'm hoping from some darkening or these spots, although, the only time anyone sees my top, is when I might stop by a store when running some errands. I usually don't do this too much, but time is limited on the weekends.

So going to take this day to do some interior cleaning, 303 Aerospace applying and try out my new portable steamer for those deeply grooved door panels.Name:  20170212_093831.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  449.4 KB

Last edited by JJZ4MR; 02-17-2017 at 04:28 AM..
Appreciate 2
      02-12-2017, 04:15 PM   #5
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Frogtape with Paint Protection Edge Technology was amazing. Bends/stretches real nice and easy. When seepage starts on the edges, it forms a gel block. It worked perfectly on plastic trim. Two hours after applying I removed the tape, came right off, no residue. Two very small leaks tried to bleed through. There was a gel spot on the trim, but wiped right off. Sun is starting to lower, 7 hours of cure time. Stated 6-12 hours needed. I went way heavy, all seems dry. Wear lines still there, not as noticeable. Top looks a shade darker, blacker. No hoards of flying aphids appeared today.
Attached Images

Last edited by JJZ4MR; 02-17-2017 at 04:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
dc_wright249.00
      02-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #6
TRiCC
E86 M Coupe
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Thanks for the diy info! +1 on the 303 fabric guard products! I apply it every three months and my top thanks/shows that it is taken care of. Nice uniform shade of black and not spotty or faded like all those other convertibles i.e. *ahem* miatas running around town.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 07:14 AM   #7
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
How do I get Itrader rating and rep rating ? Not a big deal but as long as there are stats and I'm competitive just wondered how those are achieved ?
      02-21-2017, 12:45 PM   #8
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJZ4MR View Post
How do I get Itrader rating and rep rating ? Not a big deal but as long as there are stats and I'm competitive just wondered how those are achieved ?
ZPOST REP is based on how many "Appreciates" you've gotten on your threads and your posts. Haven't found anything yet on the basis for rank promotions though.....
      02-22-2017, 06:58 PM   #9
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Ahhhh, since the " appreciate " was not highlighted I did not really notice it before now. So I just clicked it on your reply....and it lights up and gives you " 1 ". Guess I owe a lot of those over the last few months.
      02-22-2017, 07:03 PM   #10
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
As long as I'm gaining knowledge here, what is the +- button do ?