ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-16-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
jumpthewire
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 silver/grey Z4 3.0si

Door ding....

Curious if anyone has ever used BMW's service department to remove door dings?

My car will be in the shop and figured it could be easier to have them do it, BUT of course i'm wondering if they do a crazy markup.

Just wanted to brace myself when they give me a quote!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Look up your local PDR (paintless dent removal) guy. A minor door ding should only be $50-100 to fix assuming the paint is intact. I don't have any experience personally, but I was doing a lot of research recently as I was looking at a used car with a pretty decent ding on the driver side back door.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
they (BMW) quoted me 150 a ding for 3 dings adding to 450 plus tax. My detailer popped them out plus 10 or so scratches and a coat of wax for 200. YMMV but look around. BMW is no bargain by any means
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
jumpthewire
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys. I got a quote from a local guy who will do 2 dings at $125.
Sounds like that will be the way to go.

Do you guys draw the line at when to do them? Meaning, the 2 i have are REALLY small. Only visible at the right angle. But of course i know exactly that angle.

You guys ever "let stuff go"? Its my DD so i'm trying to maintain being realistic.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 01:08 PM   #5
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

As long as you don't plan on selling the car anytime soon, you are the one that determines whether it is worth it to get the dents fixed. Personally, unless one dent is especially bothersome, I usually wait until I have more than one as the price is better per dent the more you have to get fixed.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

I'm one of those guys who parks at the farthest spot next to a curb in a parking lot. Minimal chance of getting dinged, plus I get some exercise in the process.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaliber View Post
I'm one of those guys who parks at the farthest spot next to a curb in a parking lot. Minimal chance of getting dinged, plus I get some exercise in the process.
+1, and with the curb on the passenger side as well. Since most people drive alone, if someone parks next to you the odds are in your favor that there won't be a passenger to fling the door into your car....Course you have to park carefully next to that curb if you want to "snuggle" up to it to maximize room while avoiding wheel rash....
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 04:12 PM   #8
jumpthewire
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

i also have been trying to do that, but when their is an open spot next you, your at the mercy of the "car gods"....

for example, while looking for a parking spot at work (semi-private parking structure) i park next to a 350Z thinking, ok. this guy has a nice car & we are towards the empty side of the garage....

i come out at the end of the day to find the worlds dirtiest saturn practically hugging me. unless they were Ethiopian, there was no way they got out WITHOUT hitting my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #9
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

I generally get dings removed at events where the price is generally cheaper, like the one coming up in Valencia in Sept 2-4.
      07-16-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpthewire View Post
i also have been trying to do that, but when their is an open spot next you, your at the mercy of the "car gods"....

for example, while looking for a parking spot at work (semi-private parking structure) i park next to a 350Z thinking, ok. this guy has a nice car & we are towards the empty side of the garage....

i come out at the end of the day to find the worlds dirtiest saturn practically hugging me. unless they were Ethiopian, there was no way they got out WITHOUT hitting my car.
I find that my Z4 is a shit box magnet. No matter how carefully I select a parking spot, someone always parks a shit box right next to the Z.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #11
jdl1pt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M coupe 2007 IL Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaliber View Post
+2, I about had a panic attack the other day when I had to park the Z in the only spot avalible, which was right inbetween 2 crap boxes. (Mind you, this was my first time to park the car is such a precarious position. I haven't owned her long) Luckily, it was so my friend could run in and pick something up from the store. I Stood at the back of the car pretending to do something, just to let people know I was there. Always seems people swing the doors open much more carefully when they know the owner is around.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #12
jumpthewire
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

^ Your in Oakland?
Man, I thought I had balls for parking in east LA...

Only been to Oakland a few times, but to me its on my top 5 roughest cities.
Glad you escaped ok!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 07:45 PM   #13
doozyj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

I have 2 good referrals for you in Los Angeles. Try SOSDent.com, they worked on my M3 and he probably one of the best more thoruough PDR techs in L.A. Be weary of just using any PDR guy as quality does vary. The guys name is David I believe, he regularly works on high end cars, ie Ferrari, Lambos, Porcshe, BMW etc. He is located in Santa Monica.

There is also BeachCitiesPDR.com
They are also pretty good I believe cheaper than SOSDent.com Their work is excellent. They are in Huntington Beach.

But if I had to choose I would go with SOSDent as he is more meticulous in his work.

Let us know how it turns out whoever you go to. Post some pics as well!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 08:34 PM   #14
jumpthewire
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks a bunch!

I actually am meeting up with a fellow named Leo from Dents & Dings who was referred. SOS was actually my 2nd choice, so its good to know they do quality work.

I feel just a tad silly getting these 2 dings fixed since they are really small, but heck, i just got the damn car can i enjoy it for a least another month?

Is your M your DD? How do you cope with having it in LA?!
Thanks again for the info ^
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 08:35 PM   #15
jdl1pt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M coupe 2007 IL Blue

Never would have bought one if I didn't have a garage and lots of free parking spots at work. Not all of Oak is bad, but still, there are very few places I want to leave her alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpthewire View Post
^ Your in Oakland?
Man, I thought I had balls for parking in east LA...

Only been to Oakland a few times, but to me its on my top 5 roughest cities.
Glad you escaped ok!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 06:40 AM   #16
LHB
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i ZHP

The other day, I was in the store and saw a huge Chevy Tahoe pull in next to my car, and way too close. I literally ran out of the store, and moved it before the people had a chance to get back into it. I have no idea how, but they seem to have gotten out of their monstrosity withoug dinging my passenger side door. Five years, and no dings yet, but I usually park so far away from where I'm going that only people who are doiing illegal drugs or arms deals would park close to me, and since they tend to have nice cars, no worries.

I'd rather park next to player in a major drug cartel than an obese soccer mom in a Ford Excursion or Chevy Suburban.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #17
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
If I remember correctly the dealerships usually charge by panel, and it's around $150 for each one.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 04:43 PM   #18
jumpthewire
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

yeah, i skipped the dealer and went with a local guy. $125 for 3 little dings. he was great! one fell on the fender panel so i would have had to pay more at the dealer.
Appreciate 0