ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-16-2011, 06:20 PM   #23
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicj View Post
As I was doing that, I thought it might be REALLY cool to work on a REAL Ram-Air scoop, that would completely seal with the intake tube, then extend out to become part of the grill itself. I'm going to work on a prototype. I'm thinking it could simply take up the space between two of the grill slates, and be completely sealed behind. A real Ram-Air induction, instead of scoop and hope. I'll let you know....
Hey Vic, if you could... please fab up a new prototype based on this -->http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123811
Perfect fit and round edges so the air-flow is maximized.

Also, what gap are you talking about with your scoop? Do you have any pics of yours installed?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #24
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Just installed mine today, nice having the day off to take care of these minor mods. Let me first start off saying I bought RPi scoops previously when they were first introduced and for the life of me could not get them to sit, the 2 holes of the scoop wouldn't even come in contact with the existing tubing. I later sold it here hoping someone would have better luck.

Fast forward 2 years and I see the newer interation (v2) for sale on the classifieds so I gave it a shot.

The Good:
Install was successful and FAR easier than the last time I recall. A 5 min job did take 10 only because I didn't have the right length screwdriver. They werent kidding when they said you needed a long one. None of the ones from my 18pc Craftsman kit could get the last screw. I had to borrow a friends who had something that was 18" long lol. Luckily with the long screwdriver no need to drill new holes, existing worked fine. That red tape you see was put on since it looked like the scoop was rubbing against the bumper.

The Bad:
I purchased aftermarket matte black grills which were separated so the outer trim could be colormatched. I don't know if the grill is of lesser quality than OEM but the tab must've weakened because after I removed the grill for the scoop install, all 3 tabs on top broke off. Had to get epoxy to glue the pieces together, sorta sucks but whatever.

Didn't do any high speed runs so no butt dyno comments (not yet at least) but the ecu had no problem adapting. Others noted an initial stumble but no such thing for me.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 04-22-2011 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #25
vicj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 M Roadster; 2010 Mini

I noticed absolutely no difference whatsoever with mine installed. Waste ofmoney, in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #26
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicj View Post
I noticed absolutely no difference whatsoever with mine installed. Waste ofmoney, in my opinion.
Need software
      04-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #27
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Yeah I honestly cannot tell any difference with the scoop installed. Had I paid full price for it, I'd be pretty pissed. But I didn't so I'm not!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 01:39 PM   #28
vicj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 M Roadster; 2010 Mini

I'm not pissed. Like I've said many times. I try things out, then honestly appraise them. Scoops? Worthless. Can't really say about software. As long as I have a shred of warranty left, I won't be messing with the DME
Appreciate 0