ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #111
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
tekmoe... that is horrible advise.

200lbs is not too big for a 600. I ride a 600 and weigh over 200lbs and it works perfect fine, no lag at all. If you have a bigger frame (read 6'2" and taller) then you may be more comfortable on a bigger bike, obviously.

The liter bikes are not better all around. They have a more power that comes with the loss of a lot of handling. They are much more difficult to throw around turns than a 600, which is why I still ride a 600 and not a liter bike. I prefer the super fast with the maneuverability instead of having a little more super fast at the loss of some fun.

I don't care how responsible you are. Buying an R1 as a first bike is a retarded thing to do.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #112
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
tekmoe... that is horrible advise.

200lbs is not too big for a 600. I ride a 600 and weigh over 200lbs and it works perfect fine, no lag at all. If you have a bigger frame (read 6'2" and taller) then you may be more comfortable on a bigger bike, obviously.

The liter bikes are not better all around. They have a more power that comes with the loss of a lot of handling. They are much more difficult to throw around turns than a 600, which is why I still ride a 600 and not a liter bike. I prefer the super fast with the maneuverability instead of having a little more super fast at the loss of some fun.

I don't care how responsible you are. Buying an R1 as a first bike is a retarded thing to do.

Sorry my opinion is different than yours. Like I said, I've been riding for close to 12 years on the street now and I've seen a lot. I've ridden with a lot of different people as well. There are those who are responsible and those who are not. Whether its a moped or a turbo Hayabusa, you can still kill yourself pretty easily with a little bit of stupidity and irresponsibility.

Do you go to the track often? If so, then yes, a 600 probably is more fun. But for city riding, there's nothing better than a big stump-pulling-torque of a motor that can get you from stoplight to stoplight in a thrilling fashion (all while still being responsible of course). A 600 (ZX6R, R6, GSXR600, etc etc) is utter crap for this type of riding. An SV650 on the other hand is great.

Maybe you don't have the responsibility that others have and a 600 is better for you. Nothing wrong with that. But I'm sticking to my guns and telling nmulax that he should not be scared of a bigger bike just because it has more power. He may need that power in a critical situation - it's happened to me more than once. BUT if he knows he has little to no self-control, then a motorcycle is probably not the wisest choice for him in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #113
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post
An SV650 on the other hand is great.
I had an SV650, sold it to buy my //M a few months back, great reliable fun bike, excellent starter bike I'd highly recommend it.

If I were to get another bike now I'd probably pick up an aprilia 750 shiver; mostly because it looks like a friggin' transformer.

Triumph Speed Tripple R is another great choice. Can't go wrong with any of these mid range naked bikes. I would recommend the monster, but I hate the rattley clutch, but ducatis are great bikes regardless.
      05-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #114
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

Guys,

The standard rule of thumb for a first bike always used to be "less than 400 lbs and less than 50 HP." I have to agree that something like an R1 as a first bike is a really bad idea, no matter how responsible an attitude someone might have. It takes a lot of skill and experience to ride a 600 sportbike well and considerably more for a liter bike.

I remember reading that a startling percentage of new sportbike purchasers never make it from the showroom to their home.

Just my two cents...

Rick F.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #115
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

I completely agree with Rick F.s post. Learn the basics on a basic bike and you'll be riding a long time. I've known several over the years that got that wrong and where badly injured. The last of which lost a leg. Always hate to see this happen when they choose a "cool" bike over the right bike. JMHO
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #116
HaiDef
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i

i had 3 different 600's and never crossed my mind to ever buy a liter bike
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 01:27 PM   #117
Meatish
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Manual

My k1200r

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #118
FerRrari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Catrinel Menghia

Couple pics taken with my WP7
Attached Images

'07 IR/SBL ///M Roadster (GONE), '08 Tornado Red Triumph Daytona (GONE), '09 BRG/Cloth 6MT MINI Cooper S (Spontaneously Combusted), '06 IR/IR ///M3 Convertible 6MT (GONE), '04 JB/CR Z4 2.5i SMG (GONE)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 02:27 PM   #119
tekmoe
Captain
Rep

Red and red - That is too cool!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #120
KLH
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0si

Remember the old Honda ad....."Stupid Hurts" That slogan applies whether you're six or sixty. Unfortunately for most (not all), there's a lack of judgment and maturity during ones formative years.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #121
Z4dugh
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E86 Z4 MC

Garage List
They are all nice, but that is a sweet bike!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 11:19 AM   #122
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Okay tekmoe... On a track a 600 and liter are going to be close to the same, unless it is a really tight track. I know more people that track R1 than I do that track R6.

On the streets you never use the extra power of the liter, but you do turn a lot so a 600 is hands down better for the street riding.

And the part about not getting an R1 for a starting bike has almost NOTHING to do with responsibility. If you are stupid and irresponsible it does not matter what you are riding, as you mentioned. It has to do with being able to handle a bike. If you start on something that large your learning curve will be many years longer than if you start on something smaller and learn the basics without all of the power first.

All in all, if you want GOOD advise and not amateur advise go to a biking forum like motorcycleforum.com Lot of good advise there.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 10:27 PM   #123
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
I didn't mean to get this thread off topic - showing off the great bikes all of you have.

FWIW, there's no way in hell I'd consider a liter bike; especially as my first road bike. Sure I understand the basics of riding (had 250 mx bikes years ago), but the street is a different beast and I have no intention of jumping in over my head.
      05-31-2011, 10:54 PM   #124
tekmoe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Okay tekmoe... On a track a 600 and liter are going to be close to the same, unless it is a really tight track. I know more people that track R1 than I do that track R6.

On the streets you never use the extra power of the liter, but you do turn a lot so a 600 is hands down better for the street riding.

And the part about not getting an R1 for a starting bike has almost NOTHING to do with responsibility. If you are stupid and irresponsible it does not matter what you are riding, as you mentioned. It has to do with being able to handle a bike. If you start on something that large your learning curve will be many years longer than if you start on something smaller and learn the basics without all of the power first.

All in all, if you want GOOD advise and not amateur advise go to a biking forum like motorcycleforum.com Lot of good advise there.
LOL a 600 is a good street bike. Yeah, sure, if you don't mind revving it to redline everytime to make it go. No bottom end which is where most of your street riding is going to be at anyway. Oh, you want to pass that car? Better downshift a couple of gears to get into the upper revs where it actually makes power.

You apparently have waaaaay more knowledge than I do when it comes to motorcycles. My opinions obviously mean jack. But at least my bike looks better.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 12:49 PM   #125
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 911 GTS

Quote:
LOL a 600 is a good street bike. Yeah, sure, if you don't mind revving it to redline everytime to make it go. No bottom end which is where most of your street riding is going to be at anyway. Oh, you want to pass that car? Better downshift a couple of gears to get into the upper revs where it actually makes power.
I have to agree, that is the best part about owning a 600. =P Taking it to redline all the time! Nothing is more fun than hitting 15k rpm!!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #126
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

You apparently have waaaaay more knowledge than I do when it comes to motorcycles. My opinions obviously mean jack. But at least my bike looks better.
Up to 6K rpm within 1.5 seconds and have gobs of power from 6K-16.5K rpm.

You must be thinking of 80's or 90's era 600's? Either that or you are trolling and have never actually ridden a street bike. I am starting to think the latter.

2008 R6 - 0-60mph in 3.31 seconds.
2009 R1 - 0-60mph in 2.8 or 2.9 seconds depending on where you look.

Yeah, I'd say there isn't a whole heck of a lot of difference. Except that with a corner or two I'm beating you to the destination. Go ahead and keep your R1 for in town riding...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #127
tekmoe
Captain
Rep

600's have crap power down low.

Do you have any idea what torque is? Apparently not. You don't have any.

My bike is making almost 3x the amount of torque from about 2000RPM compared to your R6. I love not having to downshift when I need to pass a car on the freeway. Torque = Fun which is what an R6 does not have. The dyno proves it. My bike? A nice fat torque line all the way from the bottom to the top. F'n love it!!!! Keep the 600's on the track where they belong.

Ah well, if you like to rev the piss out of that thing to get it to go, I guess that's all that matters. I like all bikes but I know which ones are more fun. You haven't got to that level yet. All in due time son.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #128
tekmoe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
I didn't mean to get this thread off topic - showing off the great bikes all of you have.

FWIW, there's no way in hell I'd consider a liter bike; especially as my first road bike. Sure I understand the basics of riding (had 250 mx bikes years ago), but the street is a different beast and I have no intention of jumping in over my head.
Understandable. Just don't buy a 600 supersport. They were designed for the track but instead you have all these joe blow racer wannabes who think they are the best street bike ever invented.

Like I said before, look at the SV650's. GREAT bikes. I've known several people who started on these and loved them before moving onto something bigger and better.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #129
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
My short list is down to the Street Triple, SV650 or a Monster.
A local dealer has an new but year or two old SV650 sitting in the corner of the showroom... seems like everyone's forgotten about it.
      06-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #130
tekmoe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
My short list is down to the Street Triple, SV650 or a Monster.
A local dealer has an new but year or two old SV650 sitting in the corner of the showroom... seems like everyone's forgotten about it.
Fantastic choices my friend. I know a guy who has had a Street Triple for the past couple of years and he loves it. Great street bike hence the name. I'd take a 3 cylinder over a 4 cylinder any day of the week, hands down.

Oh and Triumph is the best.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 04:42 PM   #131
FerRrari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Catrinel Menghia

I've never ridden anything else other than my Daytona so I wouldn't know, but I really don't need to downshift to pass anyone, it's plenty fast, I can't imagine getting a bigger bike.
'07 IR/SBL ///M Roadster (GONE), '08 Tornado Red Triumph Daytona (GONE), '09 BRG/Cloth 6MT MINI Cooper S (Spontaneously Combusted), '06 IR/IR ///M3 Convertible 6MT (GONE), '04 JB/CR Z4 2.5i SMG (GONE)
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #132
tekmoe
Captain
Rep

Right, but you have a 3 cylinder which means better bottom end and midrange compared to 4 cylinder. Basically the same motor as the Street Triple except a little hotter on the top end. I rode a Daytona 675 for about a day and a half. Not a very good city bike, IMO. I was ready to give it back after the ride home. But boy would I love to have one as a track bike.
Appreciate 0