ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
EMP07
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Jack stands

Anyone use the Torin Aluminum Jack stands have feedback?

http://www.amazon.com/Torin-T43004-A...g_hu-rd_dp_img

I like the flat base that won't dig in the garage floor. But the mounting points seems small.

Any other recommendations are appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1soul View Post
Anyone use the Torin Aluminum Jack stands have feedback?

http://www.amazon.com/Torin-T43004-A...g_hu-rd_dp_img

I like the flat base that won't dig in the garage floor. But the mounting points seems small.

Any other recommendations are appreciated.
I am using the Tire Rack version that is almost identical. The top of the stand is just big enough accomodate the jack points on our cars, but I use a 2"x4" hardwood block between the stand and the car.
Attached Images

09-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

+1 on the Tire Rack stands. Just used mine this weekend and they worked fine. A decent price for them too (from Tire Rack).
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

i just used them on my friends GTI a few weeks ago. worked great and inspire a little more confidence, though i feel like im going to be unnerved trying the wood block method on the m...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
nadaclue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Urban Green 2003 3.0

Has anyone had any issues with the round base? I would think they would be less stable / more prone to "rolling out" if the car started to shift at all, a square base can only tip over where something like this could actually roll to the side if it got tipped on edge. I'm probably just paranoid, but that's why I haven't bought a set yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
Barryb97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I use the ESCO jack stands. They are very stable and have a great range.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...8558_200358558
CDV delete, clutch stop, BMW pedals, Strongstrut bar, CF rad & coil cover, M3 reps, roundel under hood, Intravee II, air bag sticker delete, first aid storage, painted reflectors, headlight washer disable, Skyer CF front lip, Short shift kit, Leather Z arm rest, Stromung exhaust, RPI scoop, RTAB limiters, powerflex bushings, TC Kline DA coilovers, PB big brake kit, Skyer CF rear spoiler and diffuser, oil pressure and water temp guages.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Best are the ones above...Esco. They are triangular, have a flat top with rubber insert that loves our little blocks under the car. No slip and those things don't roll or wobble. I actually had some blocks custom made that fit into the top pan and then fit up into the little car blockie things...worked great. Some stands I have seen over the 40 years are as unstable as a couple of 8 year olds in a Chinese fireworks factory...if you are going to buy new ones, whatever you do, don't go cheap on stands. Your life depends upon them...goes for jacks as well. Beats me how some will spend decent dollars for a fine Bimmer and then scrimp on the garage accessories. Good luck on your purchase...but go up, not down.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #8
txz4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadaclue View Post
Has anyone had any issues with the round base? I would think they would be less stable / more prone to "rolling out" if the car started to shift at all, a square base can only tip over where something like this could actually roll to the side if it got tipped on edge. I'm probably just paranoid, but that's why I haven't bought a set yet.
i know from the picture the base doesn't look large but it is in fact very very wide. It actually caused a bit of a problem getting the stand and the jack in the same point due to room (had to jack the front high enough to put a stand in the rear, no center jack points on the GTI). Its much wider than your typical stand.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #9
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryb97 View Post

Just so I'm clear, it appears that the $80 price for ESCO stands is the price for each stand. To buy a set of two will cost you $160+shipping. Quite a price difference from the OP's or TireRack ones which are sold by the set of two.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #10
EMP07
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by crfine88 View Post
I am using the Tire Rack version that is almost identical. The top of the stand is just big enough accomodate the jack points on our cars, but I use a 2"x4" hardwood block between the stand and the car.
Thanks Chris, the 7" base is a bit better than the Torin's so that is a plus :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryb97 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
Just so I'm clear, it appears that the $80 price for ESCO stands is the price for each stand. To buy a set of two will cost you $160+shipping. Quite a price difference from the OP's or TireRack ones which are sold by the set of two.
The Esco seems super solid but you pay for them. This was an interesting review on both the torin and esco etc.http://revlimiter.net/blog/2010/07/m...tand-review-2/

I think I may give the Tireracks a go. The round base does mess with your head a bit.

Thanks folks,

Bill
Appreciate 1