ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #23
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhoneEngineer View Post
Got the car back today. Could hardly be more disappointed with the dealer experience.

- I confirmed with my SA (a pretty good guy, I thought) LAST NIGHT that the car would be ready at dealer open today (8:30). All work was allegedly complete, and the glue curing.
- Arrived today at 8:30. They were "looking for the car" for half an hour, eventually finding it still in a shop bay--with the windshield trim going on. Moreover, the technician said that the windshield glue was not completely cured! He literally put two pieces of tape on the windshield "just to be sure" it doesn't "slide". This was immensely concerning because I live 45 minutes away, 2,000ft higher, over bumpy and windy roads.
- In addition to parts and labor, there is a $300.00 charge as part of the windshield replacement invoice that has no understandable purpose at all. There are separate line items for the glass, trim, and labor.
- I'm pretty sure they chipped+cracked the plastic bit that mates with the windshield at the bottom. It will probably have to be replaced lest it leak in the rain (not sure what is beneath it, though.

So it took them 72 hours (3x the estimate) to still not have the car properly ready to drive. The tech even advised me against jacking up the car today to change the headers, suggesting I wait until tomorrow. I'm going to do some of the top-side work soon once it cools down.

Anyway, the new glass looks great, and I'm relieved to finally have the car back. At least I did get a loaner car, and it was a 335i instead of a 328i, but TBH I was woefully disappointed with the ridiculously nonlinear power curve and overly invasive ESP on the 335i. Would have preferred a 128...
Damn,
sorry to hear about your experience. I wouldn't worry about jacking up the car. Taping the windshield is standard procedure and driving immediately after installation is also no too much of a concern. Jack that sucker up and install them headers!

On a side note, I just got a 128i loaner and it is so much more fun than a 335i. That n55/4 really belongs in an suv. It felt great in my x5.

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #24
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Sorry to hear, feels like there really is no good dealer close to the bay area. At least you have your car back, let's hope the headers solve the rest of your issues so you can begin enjoying your car again.
      09-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #25
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
Damn,
sorry to hear about your experience. I wouldn't worry about jacking up the car. Taping the windshield is standard procedure and driving immediately after installation is also no too much of a concern. Jack that sucker up and install them headers!

On a side note, I just got a 128i loaner and it is so much more fun than a 335i. That n55/4 really belongs in an suv. It felt great in my x5.
The headers are in! I did most of the work yesterday (taking your advice and just going for it) and had it driving today. . The new headers are great--I like the sound slightly better than the AA ones, too.

Ha, after driving that engine, I completely agree--it seems like a perfect fit for an X5!
Appreciate 0