ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #177
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Endless,
Theres been a lot of great suggestions and opinions set forth here - Great thread. I literally went thru the same car debate for 3 years, that you are going thru now, before I decided on my e86m. Great problem to debate. Bear in mind - I am not a track nut, i just want an excellent, somewhat exclusive car that can hold up extremely well in the northern back woods, and feels great around town, but wont be so exclusive it costs $3k to change a muffler.

Fortunately i'm able to be member of a club here in NYC that put me behind the wheel for a few days at a time, of almost every car mentioned in this thread, this includes a Gallardo, a few Ferrari's, a Vantage, a Lotus, an R8, a Z8, a GTR, many porsches and most of the M cars, and a taste of an Ariel Atom, as well as too many more to list - you name it). I joined this club to solve my personal debate.

I decided on the M coupe, the day I returned thier 2002 911 turbo and hoped right back in their '06 e86m. I INSTANTLY decided the M coupe was just a more exhilerating and exciting car to drive, and its less forgiving. The porsche was almost.... dare I say... 'boring' compared to the M.

I'm not an Audi fan at all - right with you there (buicks of germany IMO). But if I lifted my budget to 70k-90k area, I'd probably consider a used R8 or a Vantage long before any porsche. I will say, the R8 was an amazing car to drive, & it'll take almost anything you throw at it. Its a much better, modern day NSX. As well, the Vantage is awesome for different reasons although the chassis is almost stupidly stiff and it hops around a lot. Both are sexy as all get out and have a little luxury feel to them - IMO

Point is, it took a while to realize that the car I wanted all along didnt stand out until I drove other cars that cost 2-3x as much. I realized the e86m had it all for the reasons we all agree upon as owners, especially for the cost of the car. & yes its exclusive - but not because of cost. (Porsches and M3 are almost as common as taxi's around here - zzzzz ) Sure, I wish it was as 'posh' as a 911 or a Vantage or an R8, but for $28~$34k, I can live with a little spartanness inside for everything else it brings. And for that luxury feel, thats why they make those 5-series's and X5's as a good DD.

Keep searching... its half of the fun. Oh, and as for the 'woman opinion' thing... just remember a "happy wife is a happy life".

Last edited by gtMc; 03-02-2012 at 10:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #178
Endless619
DHS
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtMc View Post
Endless,
Theres been a lot of great suggestions and opinions set forth here - Great thread. I literally went thru the same car debate for 3 years, that you are going thru now, before I decided on my e86m. Great problem to debate. Bear in mind - I am not a track nut, i just want an excellent, somewhat exclusive car that can hold up extremely well in the northern back woods, and feels great around town, but wont be so exclusive it costs $3k to change a muffler.

Fortunately i'm able to be member of a club here in NYC that put me behind the wheel for a few days at a time, of almost every car mentioned in this thread, this includes a Gallardo, a few Ferrari's, a Vantage, a Lotus, an R8, a Z8, a GTR, many porsches and most of the M cars, and a taste of an Ariel Atom, as well as too many more to list - you name it). I joined this club to solve my personal debate.

I decided on the M coupe, the day I returned thier 2002 911 turbo and hoped right back in their '06 e86m. I INSTANTLY decided the M coupe was just a more exhilerating and exciting car to drive, and its less forgiving. The porsche was almost.... dare I say... 'boring' compared to the M.

I'm not an Audi fan at all - right with you there (buicks of germany IMO). But if I lifted my budget to 70k-90k area, I'd probably consider a used R8 or a Vantage long before any porsche. I will say, the R8 was an amazing car to drive, & it'll take almost anything you throw at it. Its a much better, modern day NSX. As well, the Vantage is awesome for different reasons although the chassis is almost stupidly stiff and it hops around a lot. Both are sexy as all get out and have a little luxury feel to them - IMO

Point is, it took a while to realize that the car I wanted all along didnt stand out until I drove other cars that cost 2-3x as much. I realized the e86m had it all for the reasons we all agree upon as owners, especially for the cost of the car. & yes its exclusive - but not because of cost. (Porsches and M3 are almost as common as taxi's around here - zzzzz ) Sure, I wish it was as 'posh' as a 911 or a Vantage or an R8, but for $28~$34k, I can live with a little spartanness inside for everything else it brings. And for that luxury feel, thats why they make those 5-series's and X5's as a good DD.

Keep searching... its half of the fun. Oh, and as for the 'woman opinion' thing... just remember a "happy wife is a happy life".
Great post and I totally can relate to you. Right now I am just going to enjoy the M3. I have other priorities at this point. But in the meantime I just put on coilovers on my M3.. LOL

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #179
Endless619
DHS
Rep

Garage List
One more... Challenge lip and tint next. I also am going to put on black side M3 pieces that just came in today.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #180
gtMc
Captain
Rep

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Excellent - there ya go. And btw I am not an M3 hater at all, it truly is a raucious and almost perfect machine all in one. But I think we both share the same opinion on it without beating it to a pulp. Let yourself enjoy that car and dont look to the past, you've made great changes to it - its looking sinister. its is NOT an Acura, nor does it look like it. Was just thinking a nice 20% or 35% tint would do wonders....
      03-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #181
Endless619
DHS
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtMc View Post
Excellent - there ya go. And btw I am not an M3 hater at all, it truly is a raucious and almost perfect machine all in one. But I think we both share the same opinion on it without beating it to a pulp. Let yourself enjoy that car and dont look to the past, you've made great changes to it - its looking sinister. its is NOT an Acura, nor does it look like it. Was just thinking a nice 20% or 35% tint would do wonders....
Thanks gtMc... Tint appointment is going to be 35% on all windows except the rear which will be 20%. Wed is my appointment. lol You are right, past is the past...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 11:27 PM   #182
Endless619
DHS
Rep

Garage List
Just some updates and pictures. Well I finally am at a point where I am not going to put anymore money into the car. Its great as is now... It slowly grew on me and now I am at a point where I can say it looks better than my modified Z4MC...

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 12:07 AM   #183
dorifto88
Major
Rep
Drives: 88 Nissan Pathfinder

looks good ! those were kaivs wheels, no ?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 01:28 AM   #184
Endless619
DHS
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifto88 View Post
looks good ! those were kaivs wheels, no ?
Thanks. They were. We both switched some things up.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 01:49 AM   #185
l4zy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 15 i3, 17 M3 Frz Wht

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW i3 REX  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW X3 xDrive35i  [7.00]
Nice! super flush!
      06-21-2012, 02:01 AM   #186
Endless619
DHS
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by l4zy View Post
Nice! super flush!
Thanks bro. Lost one set of TE37s for another. How is your car looking? I haven't seen recent pictures in months.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #187
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Quote:
now I am at a point where I can say it looks better than my modified Z4MC
Sexy......Sure.....Looks better...........I don't think so!

Don't forget you are on the z4 website.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #188
gtMc
Captain
Rep

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler&Koch View Post
Just some updates and pictures. Well I finally am at a point where I am not going to put anymore money into the car. Its great as is now... It slowly grew on me and now I am at a point where I can say it looks better than my modified Z4MC...
^OP, Great to hear this, especially after all the discussion past few months. Was wondering what you'd end up doing!
      07-15-2012, 11:41 PM   #189
Nate2046
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 e92M

I recently decided it was time to start looking for a replacement for my e86 after 4 years and 46k miles. Just test drove an e92 and actually liked it a lot more than I thought I would. If the trade in offer had been a little higher, I may have made the deal on the spot. Still, like the OP, can't get over the thought of giving up the unique look of the Z4MC. I was hoping the answer would be in this thread, its not, but I appreciate the OP and the rest of you posting your thoughts on the issue, it helps. Sort of.....
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 01:49 AM   #190
Endless619
DHS
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate2046 View Post
I recently decided it was time to start looking for a replacement for my e86 after 4 years and 46k miles. Just test drove an e92 and actually liked it a lot more than I thought I would. If the trade in offer had been a little higher, I may have made the deal on the spot. Still, like the OP, can't get over the thought of giving up the unique look of the Z4MC. I was hoping the answer would be in this thread, its not, but I appreciate the OP and the rest of you posting your thoughts on the issue, it helps. Sort of.....
Both cars are great and unique in there own way. I would have kept it but needed a practical SUV and car and needed more room. So moved on to the M3 and at first coming from a modified Z4MC the stock look of the M3 could not compare. Now having come a ways with the M3 I like it more.

Just added these...

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #191
Nuge Design
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 AW CP

^^the new Volks are way better... what are your offsets/specs on your wheel/tire combo? Spacers? That is one flush fit... Looks great and does it rub?

Regarding the choice of cars, no matter which one you have now, you can always go back and add the other one later
Appreciate 0