ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
pyo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
Magnaflow (Angry-cop style) Questions

All the recent posts about magnaflow (angry-cop style) has got me intrigued. The look, price and sound all appeal to me and I'm pretty determined to do this also.

I searched the entire forum for any threads with "magnaflow" in the title and did the best research I could for non-m Z's. I came across 2 part #'s in regards to this custom install.

Magnaflow #12468

Magnaflow #11378

From the various threads, this looks like a pretty straight foward install on the non-m Z's. I just need to know which part # is the correct one. djoutcry most recent thread references #12468 with 2.5" inlets/outlets. Elsewhere during my research, I read that the stock pipes are 2.25".

Can anyone please point me in the correct direction? And where is the best place to purchase exhaust tips to be welded on?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

If I recall, stock diameter is 2.25", but you should be fine with either one, any reputable shop can make a 2.5" fit on a 2.25" and vice versa. I think it will come down to what tip you choose and what size the inlet of that tip comes in.

As far as tips, I found mine on Ebay, 2.5" inlet, dual 3.5" outlet, dual walled, slant cut, and staggered. Ebay has tons of choices and for a decent price. You'd also be surprised at the selection most shops have, and they usually gave decent prices as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
pyo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gferil View Post
If I recall, stock diameter is 2.25", but you should be fine with either one, any reputable shop can make a 2.5" fit on a 2.25" and vice versa. I think it will come down to what tip you choose and what size the inlet of that tip comes in.

As far as tips, I found mine on Ebay, 2.5" inlet, dual 3.5" outlet, dual walled, slant cut, and staggered. Ebay has tons of choices and for a decent price. You'd also be surprised at the selection most shops have, and they usually gave decent prices as well.

Thank you gferil! I saw your username referenced in Angry-Cop's original thread as well as other related threads. Think I will go with the 12468 model # since the most recent non-m Z's that got this done all had the M54 engines just like me. No one mentioned any difficulties, so I'm hoping it will be the same for me. As far as tips, I'll definitely have to check them out in person as I am very indecisive lol.

http://www.amazon.com/Magnaflow-1246...agnaflow+12468

Eligible for Amazon Prime 2 day free shipping
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

As gferil mentioned the inlet/outlet size is not a problem. If you look at the specs for each, you'll see that the internal core diameter for both cans is 2.5". No real difference between the two.