ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
DRedman45
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E86 //M coupe

Aero Turbine or Borla custom cans?

hello everyone,

I have been working on finishing off my exhaust, and I have come to a point where I am having trouble making a decision.

currently I have fabspeed headers on the car, catless section 1 with ar20's and a BMS section 2 ready to go on.

Here is where I am having a debate with myself....I cannot decide on what to do for cans. I have come down to two main contenders.

AR2525 (14"x6" round) are so cheap, and other people on here seem to like them. I haven't heard much from guys running a full exhaust, and I am a bit worried about them being too raspy. $100/muffler

Borla XR 1 (400024, 14x6.25" round) multi-chamber mufflers. Each one is 1.5x the price of the ar's, but they will be slightly quieter. The multi-chamber design from borla is supposed to be the best flowing of the ar 1 mufflers as well as being on the quiet side. $230/muffler

Insights? Opinions? Experience?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

how about a corsa universal muffler? Not sure exactly which ones, but they all share the same good anti-drone design
      04-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
DRedman45
Lieutenant
Rep

I ran corsa on my old gti for a while, and on my dad's vette. While it does kill drone, it kills a lot of the deeper exhaust notes on both.

I'm honestly not too worried about drone anyways, I don't spend much time on the highway with the m....more rasp control
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

So as far as Corsa goes, I contacted them about their universal muffler that would work (fit) on our cars and they said they stopped making universals a while ago...which is too bad cause I really liked what they had.

Personally I have AR2525's on my car, EU headers, and a custom resonated X pipe (was trying to cut down on dB for local track). The car is loud, sounds amazing under normal load, but once you get on the throttle it's rasp city. Before I put the EU headers on, the Aeros sounded amazing and my system had very minimal rasp! I think I'm going to switch up the resonators in the X pipe over to the Vibrant bottle type (perforated with sound absorption material instead of the "chambered" resonators I have on there now) since I think the chambered resonators are what are amplifying the rasp.

I think the Borla's might help control rasp, I'd vote for those, and to be honest if the vibrant resonators don't help my rasp, I'll probably switch up to Borlas anyway, so would be good to see how it works out for you. Keep us updated!

Oh and I tried running AR25's on my car but couldn't fit them anywhere (didn't want to remove my section 1 cats since I'm in CA), but I bet that would cut down on my rasp since it seems to work for the E46 guys. So if you already have the Aero Resonators then you can probably try out the Aero muffllers and it might not be as raspy as my setup.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
DRedman45
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, from what I have gathered, the resonators kill nearly all the rasp....I guess I should put what I have on first of all, and maybe pull the mufflers off to see how raspy it is.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRedman45 View Post
I ran corsa on my old gti for a while, and on my dad's vette. While it does kill drone, it kills a lot of the deeper exhaust notes on both.
While that may be somewhat true, the Corsa's would be an exceptional fit on our cars - sound wise. They have a Euro raciness to them, and mated to our high revving S54 it would be heaven.
No generics available anymore, but I imagine a can off another application given the right specs could easily be confirmed by someone living close by their HQ In Ohio.
Appreciate 0