ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-15-2022, 08:20 PM   #265
07ImolaRot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M, 05 M3, 13 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDream17 View Post
Unfortunately it’s not just a sniffer test (as it should be) - it includes a visual inspection under the hood, and anything aftermarket on the intake side that isn’t marked with a CARB sticker is a fail

Not to say it’s impossible to find a tech who doesn’t care, but in my experience most do.
I am just saying that it is silly as hell ! What about the air filter? does that have to be OEM too? Maybe an aftermarket brand should fail smog as well. Where do you draw the line lol? silly California !
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 03:42 PM   #266
MBan
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe

Has anyone else installed the airbox yet?

I'll be doing mine tomorrow and it would be great to hear more tips, particularly regarding getting the plastic elbow to attach properly to the airbox.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 07:19 PM   #267
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

The installation is not as easy as one may think, but not terrible. If you use the stock air filter box, it is fiddly to get all in place. With the Eventuri it will be easier as there is more space.

Get anti-slip tape to prevent the elbow boot to slip off, or some epdm window sealers, the thinest one.

All plugs fit the Karbonius just as per factory.

I am running the stock air filter box with the sound generator, and it sounds good, but the growl is to deep, and not the wale sound as the CSL or when match with the eventuri.

Unfortunately my Eventuri filter is not with me and that is why I have to do with the OE air filter for now.

Last tip, use either teflon tape, or thread sealer to prevent any leak.

Name:  3F860E43-562C-4B73-94A8-27D34415E2ED.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  133.9 KB

Name:  D57FE7F8-79DF-4A53-831D-4A2C4E4193AC.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  322.2 KB

Name:  8B11A48C-15FC-4F7F-918A-C2D1C5B285F6.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  138.8 KB

Last edited by maupineda; 11-17-2022 at 10:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 10:41 PM   #268
MBan
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maupineda View Post
The installation is not as easy as one may think, but not terrible. If you use the stock air filter box, it is fiddly to get all in place. With the Eventuri it will be easier as there is more space.

Get anti-slip tape to prevent the elbow boot to slip off, or some epdm window sealers, the thinest one.

All plugs fit the Karbonius just as per factory.

I am running the stock air filter box with the sound generator, and it sounds good, but the growl is to deep, and not the wale sound as the CSL or when match with the eventuri.

Unfortunately my Eventuri filter is not with me and that is why I have to do with the OE air filter for now.

Last tip, use either teflon tape, or thread sealer to prevent any leak.

Attachment 3035706

Attachment 3035707

Attachment 3035708
Excellent - thank you!

Where did you use the teflon tape?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 10:45 PM   #269
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBan View Post
Excellent - thank you!

Where did you use the teflon tape?
On the screws of the underside bracket, the rubber mounts threads (2 under the box, one for the oil dipstick).
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 04:06 PM   #270
MBan
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
On the screws of the underside bracket, the rubber mounts threads (2 under the box, one for the oil dipstick).
Thanks. Hopefully I'll get it installed today.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 05:10 PM   #271
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Mine is complete, as stated before, I had to use the OE air filter as my Eventuri is no on hand, but I did install the sound generator, the installation is pretty clean, the one thing I do not like is that there is very little clearance from the OE air filter to the Karb airbox

All buttoned up

Name:  IMG_3443.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  410.1 KB

Here you can see the sound generator

Name:  IMG_3444.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  344.7 KB

Sound-wise, the generator floods the cabin, and the growl is deep in tone and cannot hear the induction noise from the airbox. that shall change once I have the Eventuri on. I will try to do a sound clip.

I like the look, it is not as flashy as the CSL, but still looks pretty cool.

Last edited by maupineda; 11-18-2022 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 2
      11-18-2022, 07:03 PM   #272
MBan
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Awesome!

I think the Z4 install with the stock air filter housing looks better than in the E46. Somehow the spacing between the elbow, airbox and plenum looks better... noting that you said the airbox is a bit too close to the plenum!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 08:19 AM   #273
TurboDream17
///M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Coupe

The CSL crankcase vent hoses (11157833649) seem to be back ordered until February. Anybody know of where they may be in stock? Or anybody happen to have an extra they’re willing to sell to me?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 04:15 PM   #274
MBan
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDream17 View Post
The CSL crankcase vent hoses (11157833649) seem to be back ordered until February. Anybody know of where they may be in stock? Or anybody happen to have an extra they’re willing to sell to me?
I got mine from Schmiedmann, and it looks like they still have stock:

https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/cata-ol?q=11157833649#
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2022, 05:57 PM   #275
TurboDream17
///M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBan View Post
I got mine from Schmiedmann, and it looks like they still have stock:

https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/cata-ol?q=11157833649#
👍🏻 I have 3 irons in the fire now, so hopefully one of them comes through!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 03:03 AM   #276
MBan
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I got my Karbonius plenum installed yesterday but didn't get a chance to have a proper drive until today.

Notes on the installation:
- pretty straightforward, even for someone like me that isn't very experienced.
- I used silicone tape around the plenum opening. This gives a grippy surface without leaving a residue.
- I had some trouble with the location of the dipstick - it was too close to the plenum and rubbed when I was putting the plenum. In the end I used rubber washers on the mount to space the dipstick away from the plenum, which worked fine (see one of the images below).
- The hose that comes from the elbow (only Z4s have this) joins up with the electrical conduit that is mounted to the side of the dipstick. There is a mount on the standard plenum for these but not the Karbonius plenum. I zip-tied them up but it's not ideal (see photo below).
- I tried to install the stock air filter housing but it was contacting the electrical conduit on the side of the dipstick and the dipstick itself. Even if I hadn't of used the spacers, it would have been close. So, I just installed my Eventuri straight away. Bit of a bummer as I wanted to do some tests with the stock air filter housing.

Notes on Karbonius plenum performance
- After GuggagZ4M said with an Eventuri it was equivalent sound-wise to the full CSL intake, I had some pretty high expectations, and it didn't quite live up to them.
- Having said that, I had a long drive today and there is a definite change in tone and increase in volume. Particularly, the CSL 'warble' is much clearer now. Low revs (~3,000rpm) in 3rd and 4th really accentuate the sound and overall, the intake is just more present everywhere all the time.
- I did a freeway on-ramp today with concrete barriers and the sound was epic! I stuffed up the recording up of this unfortunately.
- I've never been in a car with a CSL intake and I'd be really keen to see how they compare.
- Overall, I'm happy with the plenum and knowing what I know now, I would still buy it.

I made a video, which includes the car in stock form, with Supersprint V2 headers and cat'd S-pipe, and then with headers, s-pipe, x-pipe, Powerloops and Eventuri and the current spec which is all the previous except the x-pipe (which I took off a while ago) plus the Karbonius plenum. I included the videos of the stock intake with the headers and s-pipe because when I added these it was much harder to hear the intake. So, this is probably the best baseline for the Karbonius plenum. Sorry for the funny framing in some of the videos - no one wants to see my face!

Name:  6E2A196D-ED7A-4369-AF49-B85AC27B213A (1).jpeg
Views: 468
Size:  211.9 KB

Name:  735E7818-8B8C-45E3-879D-7733152E8022.jpeg
Views: 461
Size:  258.7 KB

Name:  33556DFD-6CDD-4883-9F31-68067745498C.jpeg
Views: 463
Size:  239.8 KB

Video link:
https://youtu.be/az7Qdm6EMbo
Appreciate 2
      11-20-2022, 12:32 PM   #277
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Sound clips

I made some videos, I logged the rev range where CSL noise is more prevalent in general

So here is the first. The Karb OE Style box and no sound generator, with OE air filter

https://youtube.com/shorts/bmSzhwQCnwM?feature=share

This is with the sound generator and the foam filter in the pipe

https://youtube.com/shorts/fNH9vhFaSO0?feature=share

This is with the sound generator and the foam filter removed

https://youtube.com/shorts/4Asysvdy3aQ?feature=share

I think I like the foam option, without it, the noise is to rich in bass, and sounds synthetic, so I will run it with it and when the Eventuri comes, it would be the perfect combo IMO

Last edited by maupineda; 11-20-2022 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 2
MBan173.00
      11-20-2022, 05:49 PM   #278
TurboDream17
///M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is with the sound generator and the foam filter in the pipe
What foam filter and pipe are you referring to?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 06:47 PM   #279
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

See this thread

https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63037
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 02:49 AM   #280
GuggagZ4M
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: Bmw Z4M E86

Quote:
I would like to briefly explain something about the sound generator here, as it could otherwise lead to confusion.

I use or sell a completely different sound generator than the one from the link in the quoted article.

It is not the sound generator from the M54 engines e.g. from the Z4 3.0i etc. or E46 Compact.

Mine is an own tested development with components from BMW and another high quality car manufacturer.

I always add a piece of normal foam as insulation (you can get it anywhere in a DIY store). This can be cut even shorter to create an individual sound.

If, for example, you find the sound too loud or annoying on longer journeys (this is also the case with the original CSL airbox...), you can use it. People who drive this in everyday life or on long journeys are sometimes annoyed by it. With the sound generator, you can simply pull the hose out of the interior in 10 seconds with a flick of the wrist and then drive absolutely standard. If you want the sound again, just put the hose back in the hole and you're done.

The sound of the sound generator is very similar to that of the CSL airbox or the Karbonius OEM airbox. However, it is a bit bassier (depending on how you use the foam). Some even find it better. I prefer it a bit brighter myself. But all in all, you can say:

The volume of the sound generator and the OEM Karbonius airbox is identical on the inside.
The sound of the sound generator is about 90% the same as that of the Karbonius airbox. Just a bit bassier. The rest is identical (speed ranges etc. are operated in exactly the same way).

The big difference is the price, as I explained above.

The Karbonius OEM style airbox, including the rubber pipes etc., costs 1985€ in Germany, including tax.
The sound generator 399€ + tax and shipping.

I personally like the sound of the Karbonius OEM airbox a bit better. But if I had to decide again, I would go for the own sound generator again because of the 1500€ extra cost.

Interested in SOUNDGENERATOR like Airboxsound for S54? Whatsapp to +49 171 - 9945373
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 04:55 AM   #281
Kuky
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS in H.S.

I am still waiting for my Karbonius carbon plenum, and the CSL hose won't arrive until February next year. I am not exactly sure how much louder the air intake sound will be with the Karbonius or if the intake sound will be more evident than my exhaust sound (SS V1 headers, resonated S pipes, OEM Hpipe and Strungmun mufflers).

If I find the intake induction music isn't loud enough, I'm thinking about doing the following mod. what do you think?

https://www.fosterscmods.com/collections/universal-kit
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 05:04 AM   #282
Kuky
Canada
Rep

have you tried other sound generators with less bassy sounds? such as the ones from Alfa Romeo, Ferrari 488, or Mini? or if there's a way to amplify the S54 induction sound without using a generator?

Would you consider making a version of your intake sound enhancer without the sound generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuggagZ4M View Post
I would like to briefly explain something about the sound generator here, as it could otherwise lead to confusion.

I use or sell a completely different sound generator than the one from the link in the quoted article.

It is not the sound generator from the M54 engines e.g. from the Z4 3.0i etc. or E46 Compact.

Mine is an own tested development with components from BMW and another high quality car manufacturer.

I always add a piece of normal foam as insulation (you can get it anywhere in a DIY store). This can be cut even shorter to create an individual sound.

If, for example, you find the sound too loud or annoying on longer journeys (this is also the case with the original CSL airbox...), you can use it. People who drive this in everyday life or on long journeys are sometimes annoyed by it. With the sound generator, you can simply pull the hose out of the interior in 10 seconds with a flick of the wrist and then drive absolutely standard. If you want the sound again, just put the hose back in the hole and you're done.

The sound of the sound generator is very similar to that of the CSL airbox or the Karbonius OEM airbox. However, it is a bit bassier (depending on how you use the foam). Some even find it better. I prefer it a bit brighter myself. But all in all, you can say:

The volume of the sound generator and the OEM Karbonius airbox is identical on the inside.
The sound of the sound generator is about 90% the same as that of the Karbonius airbox. Just a bit bassier. The rest is identical (speed ranges etc. are operated in exactly the same way).

The big difference is the price, as I explained above.

The Karbonius OEM style airbox, including the rubber pipes etc., costs 1985€ in Germany, including tax.
The sound generator 399€ + tax and shipping.

I personally like the sound of the Karbonius OEM airbox a bit better. But if I had to decide again, I would go for the own sound generator again because of the 1500€ extra cost.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 05:37 AM   #283
GuggagZ4M
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuky View Post
have you tried other sound generators with less bassy sounds? such as the ones from Alfa Romeo, Ferrari 488, or Mini? or if there's a way to amplify the S54 induction sound without using a generator?

Would you consider making a version of your intake sound enhancer without the sound generator?
I have tried several sound generators. Also e.g. from the VW GTI etc. Some of them even didn't work at all (no sound came out). The Soundgenerator from 3.0si Z4 as well, but that is not nice (to much bass).
The best is now that, what I use.

It has to be a membrane. Because like the guy in the video, it's far too dangerous in the long run to drive without a proper membrane.

I can explain why directly:
The membrane prevents the wrong air from being drawn in and at the same time transmits the sound through the vibrating membrane.

It is also very important that the membrane is durable in the long run. This means not only withstanding heat and micro-vibrations, but also misfires that can return to the intake system (this happens from time to time in all sport engines).

In addition, the membrane must also be resistant to petrol, as otherwise gases and petrol backflows could dissolve the membrane in the long term.

So this is not as simple an issue as some people think.

The problem with the one in the video is clearly the danger of driving around with the wrong air and therefore too lean mixture.

And at the end it should be said again: My sound generator makes it "a little" bassier than a bright sounding airbox,... but also only a "little" bassier (approx 10% more bass than orig. CSL Sound).

Interested in SOUNDGENERATOR like Airboxsound for S54? Whatsapp to +49 171 - 9945373
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 11:09 AM   #284
Kuky
Canada
Rep

the kit he uses has a membrane, just without the sound generator.

Quote:
I have tried several sound generators. Also e.g. from the VW GTI etc. Some of them even didn't work at all (no sound came out). The Soundgenerator from 3.0si Z4 as well, but that is not nice (to much bass).

It has to be a membrane. Because like the guy in the video, it's far too dangerous in the long run to drive without a proper membrane.

The membrane prevents the wrong air from being drawn in and at the same time transmits the sound through the vibrating membrane.

It is also very important that the membrane is durable in the long run. This means not only withstanding heat and micro-vibrations, but also misfires that can return to the intake system (this happens from time to time in all sport engines).

In addition, the membrane must also be resistant to petrol, as otherwise gases and petrol backflows could dissolve the membrane in the long term.

The problem with the one in the video is clearly the danger of driving around with the wrong air and therefore too lean mixture.

And at the end it should be said again: My sound generator makes it "a little" bassier than a bright sounding airbox,... but also only a "little" bassier (approx 10% more bass than orig. CSL Sound).
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 11:14 AM   #285
GuggagZ4M
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuky View Post
the kit he uses has a membrane, just without the sound generator.

Quote:

Yes. But his membrane is just a easy kind of foil.

A Soundgenerator is just a membrane. Not more

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 10:46 AM   #286
PayamFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP YMB

Just got mine in. Seems like they placed a felt tape around the edge of the intake inlet from the elbow.

Also this is an in stock option in the states for the hose.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-turner-m.../018562la02~a/

2018 F80 ZCP 6MT YMB/SO
2015 F82 M4 6MT AW/SO - SOLD
Appreciate 0