ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-22-2009, 08:34 AM   #1
Prodigy_1978
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.2

White smoke

I have noticed over the past few weeks whiteish smoke coming form my exhaust. I originally thought nothing of it, cold weather perhaps makes the exhaust show more, even so I always think the worst. I have just popped out and stated her up and again a little white smoke. I then revved the car up, tapping the accelerator so the revs are from 1000 - 3000. Quite alot of smoke was coming from the back. on the verge of a cloud

Now the weather is aprox +2 at the moment so it is quite cold how ever this has worried me slightly. Is there any tell tale signs I can look out for? The oil has been topped up around 3 months ago. the car has 105K on the clock, however I am not sure when the last oil change was.......perhaps 90K? would a video help?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
nlink720
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 Roadster

I would investigate along the lines of a head gasket failure. I believe that causes white exhaust smoke, but blueish smoke is burning oil.

FS: Leather Recaro Pole Position Seats & Hardware
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

Prodigy,

White smoke generally means the engine is burning water. A head gasket failure can result in water getting into the combustion chamber(s) and burning, although there are other possibilities.

OTOH, water vaper, when you first start up in cold weather, looks somewhat similar. It's less noticeably white, and it should largely go away after the car is fully warmed up. In contrast, the white smoke from burning water will continue before and after warm-up.

Best of luck, and let us know what you find out.

Rick F.
Appreciate 0