ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
philippelyp
Private
Rep
Drives: SMG Supercharged

Unhappy Tire pull problem

Hi Guys,

It look like I have a tire pull problem on my Hankook Ventus V12. My car started to pull to the left after I got a nice looking combo wheels + tires installed. That kind of puzzled my usual mechanic and even the BMW dealership. The guys at Avus were great and found what was going on (they swapped the wheels for a test and the car was pulling to the right). Did anybody had similar problems?

It's new tires that I bought from EAS. I'm trying to get them to verify the problem and exchange the tires but it's like pulling teeth. They want me to buy new tires while they send mine to Hankook for inspection. Any advice on dealing with them?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Posting here is a good start as it raises awareness of the issue. I wonder what their actual return/warranty policy is. Do you know?

Regardless, and since you're in LA, perhaps they'd be more willing to work towards a reasonable solution if you brought the car to them and had them perform the same swap test, and then confirm it's the tires by mounting a new set.

From their perspective I can see having a need to confirm it's really the tire. If they confirm it, IMO you shouldn't be on the hook for the cost pending some judgment decision by Hankook. (Call me old-fashioned, but if you sell it you stand behind the product.)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
philippelyp
Private
Rep

I totally understand that they need to verify that there is a problem. I offered them to drive to Anaheim and do a swap test but so far they are not willing to do that.

The only thing they are offering is to swap the tires for free which means that I will have to buy new tires for that (I don't have old tires that I could use).

I'm very disappointed. I had a very good experience with them up to that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Posting here is a good start as it raises awareness of the issue. I wonder what their actual return/warranty policy is. Do you know?

Regardless, and since you're in LA, perhaps they'd be more willing to work towards a reasonable solution if you brought the car to them and had them perform the same swap test, and then confirm it's the tires by mounting a new set.

From their perspective I can see having a need to confirm it's really the tire. If they confirm it, IMO you shouldn't be on the hook for the cost pending some judgment decision by Hankook. (Call me old-fashioned, but if you sell it you stand behind the product.)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
robert @ eas
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Philippe,

We have been discussing through PM and will discuss the options in public as i did in the PMs.

In avoiding downtime, because we are not the tire manufacturer we will need Hankook to inspect the tire, it has been mentioned that you can:

#1 Come down purchase the tires; we will swap it out free of charge, and credit you back as soon as Hankook deems the tires defective.

#2 for you to acquire tires from somewhere else to swap the tires and makes sure they do not damage the tire in the process and give Hankook a reason not to deem it a manufacturer defect and get the tires to us and we will credit you back after Hankook’s inspection.

#3 was to put the stock set of wheels back on and we will dismount the tires and have Hankook inspect the defective tire and mount and balance the new tires back on the wheels as soon as Hankook gave us the okay and put them on your car.

We have also been keeping in contact with Hankook and they have approved the swap, therefore if you would like to make an appointment to swap out the defective tires with the new ones free of charge, PM me and I will help you out with that.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
philippelyp
Private
Rep

Thanks a lot Robert. I really appreciate that you've been able to push that issue through with Hankook. I'll PM you to make an appointment.

I couldn't do #3 as I sold the stock wheels and #1 or #2 didn't feel right as I already spent a lot of money to get the problem diagnosed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert @ eas View Post
Philippe,

We have been discussing through PM and will discuss the options in public as i did in the PMs.

In avoiding downtime, because we are not the tire manufacturer we will need Hankook to inspect the tire, it has been mentioned that you can:

#1 Come down purchase the tires; we will swap it out free of charge, and credit you back as soon as Hankook deems the tires defective.

#2 for you to acquire tires from somewhere else to swap the tires and makes sure they do not damage the tire in the process and give Hankook a reason not to deem it a manufacturer defect and get the tires to us and we will credit you back after Hankook’s inspection.

#3 was to put the stock set of wheels back on and we will dismount the tires and have Hankook inspect the defective tire and mount and balance the new tires back on the wheels as soon as Hankook gave us the okay and put them on your car.

We have also been keeping in contact with Hankook and they have approved the swap, therefore if you would like to make an appointment to swap out the defective tires with the new ones free of charge, PM me and I will help you out with that.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
philippelyp
Private
Rep

Just so everybody knows, EAS swapped my tires for new ones on Monday, free of charge. The problem is gone now
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Great news!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #8
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

I love it when disputes are dealt with on a public forum. Not only does it raise the awareness level of potential customers but it also lights a fire under the companies ass to do the right thing because of the exposure. Sounds like EAS made it right.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 01:22 AM   #9
Ironst205
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

Load index

What was the problem with the tires, I'm having the same problem and I found out that load index means everything, my car needs a 91H or greater, I bought 91T and my car is swerving and feels like it's floating
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #10
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
I actually have the same problem with my tires. I have 19s on and it is pulling to the right a little. tread wear is still very good. I was going to do an alignment but I don't think that's the problem. I only just noticed I have 245 in the front and 275 wide tires in the back a couple weeks ago, could this be the reason? I only have the car 6 weeks now.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #11
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

Another reason to like EAS! The first reason is because they mail me my purchases SO quickly it's insane!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 02:39 AM   #12
philippelyp
Private
Rep

The problem was a tire pull which is a manufacturing defect. Tirerack has a good description of the problem:

"Tires are manufactured by assembling components made of rubber, fabric cord and steel wire that are cured together in a mold. Under intense heat and pressure during the curing process, the rubber reaches a near liquid state before vulcanization takes place finalizing the tire's exact size, structure and shape.

If a tire's internal components are misaligned as it cures, it is possible that unequal internal forces may cause the vehicle to pull to the side, even when it is steered straight ahead. When this occurs with a brand new tire it is typically due to conicity, a manufacturing glitch where a tire's tread has cured slightly cone shaped rather than in the desirable uniform cylinder shape."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironst205 View Post
What was the problem with the tires, I'm having the same problem and I found out that load index means everything, my car needs a 91H or greater, I bought 91T and my car is swerving and feels like it's floating
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 02:45 AM   #13
philippelyp
Private
Rep

Having a staggered setup (245 in the front, 275 in the back) will not cause the car to pull one way or another.

If it's a tire pull, you notice it as soon as you put the new tires.

If the problem appeared later, most likely it will be an alignment problem. It could also be a suspension problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3N R3D View Post
I actually have the same problem with my tires. I have 19s on and it is pulling to the right a little. tread wear is still very good. I was going to do an alignment but I don't think that's the problem. I only just noticed I have 245 in the front and 275 wide tires in the back a couple weeks ago, could this be the reason? I only have the car 6 weeks now.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #14
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by philippelyp View Post
Having a staggered setup (245 in the front, 275 in the back) will not cause the car to pull one way or another.

If it's a tire pull, you notice it as soon as you put the new tires.

If the problem appeared later, most likely it will be an alignment problem. It could also be a suspension problem.
Thanks Philip, I guess I'll go get an alignment done. Hopefully its not a suspension problem.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #15
robert @ eas
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbosock View Post
Another reason to like EAS! The first reason is because they mail me my purchases SO quickly it's insane!
Thanks!

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0