ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot

Clunk going over bumps

I dont really know what this is but i always hear a clunk going over any bumps. Usually sideways, I know im not hitting anything as the bumps clear the car for sure and im positive the car isnt bottoming out.

anyone know what this is?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
pelerojo
Private
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4M

sounds like you have lost some of your engine mount bolts, a common issue if mot replaced.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Clunk. Front, rear, even more specific if you can be?

Possibilities include:

Engine mount bolts (Z4M) - already noted
Firewall strut mount bolts
Rear anti roll bar bolts

Last edited by Finnegan; 11-13-2013 at 02:09 AM.. Reason: Added links
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Stock suspension or after market?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmarYasirA View Post
I dont really know what this is but i always hear a clunk going over any bumps. Usually sideways, I know im not hitting anything as the bumps clear the car for sure and im positive the car isnt bottoming out.

anyone know what this is?
First thing to do is check the strut tower supports. Mine made a strange creaking in the center of the dash when going in and out of driveways. Tighten the bolts under the hood at both ends. I suspect that will cure it. I am also in Atlanta near Emory/Toco Hills. Where are you located?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 02:16 AM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by seank View Post
Good one as well. Also the front or rear strut mount (and front strut mount bearing). Even with stock suspension, a possibility, we've seen these go in front with some heavy track use.

How many miles as well? Bushings wear, and it could be a lower control arm ball joint, other bushing, front ARB, etc. Bushing replacement are normal wear and tear replacement items on these cars 40-70K miles, depending on age, type of use, etc.

A car with more miles is more prone to a "clunk" from worn parts. Since it's a Z4M I'd go after the known "loose" and breakage items first (rear ARB, front firewall, engine mounting bolts, the work along ruling out things based on likelihood (use/miles).
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 06:51 AM   #7
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Check the front sway bar end links for snugness first. If that is good, then disconnect the end links and while holding it in one hand, use the other hand to grab one threaded end at a time and move it around. Do you hear a very low volume sound similar to the clunk? If yes, then your end link has failed. Get new ones and put them on.

This happened on my Audi TT many years ago and that was the last thing I checked. Sound gets amplified through chassis into cabin.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Clunk. Front, rear, even more specific if you can be?

Possibilities include:

Engine mount bolts (Z4M) - already noted
Firewall strut mount bolts
Rear anti roll bar bolts
I feel like the clunk is more towards the front. definitely not in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seank View Post
stockkkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
First thing to do is check the strut tower supports. Mine made a strange creaking in the center of the dash when going in and out of driveways. Tighten the bolts under the hood at both ends. I suspect that will cure it. I am also in Atlanta near Emory/Toco Hills. Where are you located?
I-20 West in Douglasville. Haha and no, I really doubt its the hood, thanks though! Its usually going sideways on to my driveway, I feel like the flex the front axles gets causes that? I havent checked underneath the car yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Good one as well. Also the front or rear strut mount (and front strut mount bearing). Even with stock suspension, a possibility, we've seen these go in front with some heavy track use.

How many miles as well? Bushings wear, and it could be a lower control arm ball joint, other bushing, front ARB, etc. Bushing replacement are normal wear and tear replacement items on these cars 40-70K miles, depending on age, type of use, etc.

A car with more miles is more prone to a "clunk" from worn parts. Since it's a Z4M I'd go after the known "loose" and breakage items first (rear ARB, front firewall, engine mounting bolts, the work along ruling out things based on likelihood (use/miles).
Its at 45k right now, its been a week and a half since I got it and probably a total of only 2 hours driven on it. But I usually hear it going sideways over stuff.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 11:35 PM   #9
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Quote:
I feel like the clunk is more towards the front. definitely not in the back.

stockkkk

I-20 West in Douglasville. Haha and no, I really doubt its the hood, thanks though! Its usually going sideways on to my driveway, I feel like the flex the front axles gets causes that? I havent checked underneath the car yet.

Its at 45k right now, its been a week and a half since I got it and probably a total of only 2 hours driven on it. But I usually hear it going sideways over stuff.
Check sway bar links and yank on them. No one above has lead you astray. Then check it off your list
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
I feel like the clunk is more towards the front. definitely not in the back. Haha and no, I really doubt its the hood, thanks though! Its usually going sideways on to my driveway, I feel like the flex the front axles gets causes that? I havent checked underneath the car yet.

I guess I wasn't clear. Look at the attached photo. Tighten the bolts at the white arrows on both sides. Not the hood. What you describe is exactly what I had before tightening things up. I will be amazed if you tell me it didn't work.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep

Thanks! Will check this out today and see if it makes a difference.
      11-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #12
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
I guess I wasn't clear. Look at the attached photo. Tighten the bolts at the white arrows on both sides. Not the hood. What you describe is exactly what I had before tightening things up. I will be amazed if you tell me it didn't work.
Man, if that's your donk, good on ya for keeping it so clean, reminds me I gotta do mine.

Op, any luck?