ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #23
GriffBrew
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Is it a daily driver or occasional driver? If daily, what's you commute like? What are you driving now? What are the seasons like where you live? Do you own a convertible?

I ask a lot of questions that aren't exactly M vs si because you say you get bored with cars easily. Commuting in a car like this may start to wear on you (some don't mind, others do). Especially it you have snow and/or lots of rain or cold where you don't get the roadster experience. Then you may want the si, since you're more likely to get "over" the fun of the car if you rarely get to enjoy it. On the other hand, if it's not a daily driver, but a "fun" only car, then I'd always recommend the M.

I debated a lot. My wife also preferred getting the M. So, we did and we enjoy it every time we take it out (solo or together). Ours is a third car, though, as it wouldn't work for either of us as a daily driver.

Only you can decide what's right for you. Most people here lean towards the M. Most si guys will tell you to just get the Si. Sounds like you really need to drive an Si - take your wife so the salesman doesn't ride with you. Of course, you could always be like Pokey and get an si and an M. Then boost them both.

Getting a car that has had a recent valve job done is good. I'd always still change diff/tranny/oil/air filter as soon as you buy. They may not have been done and it's worthwhile. Cheap, if you can do it yourself. Also, consider how you feel about vanos issues before you buy. I was willing to pay to have my vanos bolts replaced preemptively because I feel it's about the only thing that would go wrong. Mine were fine, but I didn't know until I paid to have them replaced. Most are probably fine, it's probably over exagerated inline. But, it's cheaper than buying a warranty and no concerns about denied warranty claims. The si doesn't have this potential issue.

Whatever you decide, it'll be fun. Don't look back.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #24
GriffBrew
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Just noticed from other threads you're considering an e89. I still wonder about your general weather and commute patterns. If I were daily driving, I'd prefer an e89, hands down. They're a little nicer in the luxury department, even if possibly giving up some performance. I drove one, but not after driving an M, so I can't compare the experience. Having a hard top in the rain would be nice. And the amenities would be nicer on a commute.

Looks like you're in Texas, so it could be lots of good convertible days. Houston roads are pretty miserable, in my experience, and I wouldn't want to drive my M there. Austin is nicer, though traffic during parts of city and commute are awful. I wouldn't want to drive a stick down MoPac in rush hour. I don't want to drive anything down the mopac in rush hour :|

All that said, when I was shopping, only the e85 was in my price range. I chose the M over the si, which meant slightly higher miles for the same price. No regrets here.
Appreciate 0