ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-26-2016, 02:35 PM   #1
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 Toyota Supra

Radiator upgrade?

Either I don't know how to use the internet, or the search function on this site sucks. Searched "Radiator" and I get tons of hits of threads that have nothing to do with radiators.

Besides the point, are there any upgraded radiators available for the Z4, preferably thicker for racing? Can't seem to find anything off the shelf, unless someone can help cross reference another platform that would be a drop in?
      08-26-2016, 04:29 PM   #2
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Select Show Posts instead of Show Threads. If you do Show Threads you'll get every thread that has the word radiator anywhere in it, but you have to scroll through the thread to find the post. If you do Show Posts, you'll get just the posts in threads where "radiator" is actually used.

So, you don't know how to use the internet. Just kidding of course......

Last edited by dc_wright; 08-26-2016 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 01:10 AM   #3
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster TiAG/black

Theres the zionville radiator for the Z4M
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 05:08 AM   #4
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

i am adding an extra oil cooler in the front fangs.
      08-27-2016, 09:19 AM   #5
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep

Zionville for $1k, no thanks. I went with a Mishimoto MMRAD-E46-323 Silver Non-M Performance Aluminum Radiator. A slight upgrade from stock, but hopefully good enough for my needs. I also had an automatic and converted to manual, thus needed a new radiator anyway.

Looked for quite some time for anything that could fit (Z3M variant was a potential option), including universal coolers, but none would fit and allow the AC condenser to poke through.

08-27-2016, 11:34 AM   #6
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

I'm kind of sad to see these results but also relieved because I needed to get a new oil cooler when I went through everything on my rebuild and didn't come up with a whole lot of answers then either. It's one of those things I'm glad I didn't miss an opportunity to do something better, simply because there's not a lot of options that are feasible for this kind of upgrade.
      08-27-2016, 08:23 PM   #7
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep

Need some further help on coolant hose routing:

On the 3.0si Z4, the upper coolant hose has a smaller output nipple, which runs to the inlet of the cabin heater core.

The return of the heater core runs into the middle of the expansion tank. Further below, there is another hose which seems to run to the oil system, with yet another smaller hose on the opposite end of the radiator as the entrance of the oil cooler.

Then, if you have auto, there is a separate sandwhich plate which mounts to the bottom of the expansion tank:

My confusion: The MANUAL trans radiator from BMW seems to be missing the smaller hose barb on the passenger end tank, which I thought was for the oil cooler?? Yet, it still has the smaller hose connection beneath the expansion tank.

Can anyone explain where I'm getting confused? I was assuming the only difference between MANUAL and AUTO radiators was not in the radiator, but in the Mounting Plate itself.

Making matters even more confusing, Mishimoto claims the MANUAL radiator they supply has the lower-driver hole blocked off, which if that is correct, then someone has this wrong...

08-30-2016, 03:35 PM   #8
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep

Ok, just received my Mishimoto radiator - this is the E46 Non-M version. It FITS. Caveat: it does not include the oil cooling port on the passenger side. What does this mean? It most likely will bolt up directly to a Z4M.

Since Z4 Non-M uses the radiator for oil cooling, you'll need to swap over to an external oil cooler (just like the E46 Non-M or convert to Z4M system). For my case where I'm going external oil cooler, this is a perfect upgrade, and cheap relatively speaking.

For those who don't know:

Direct fit for the 1999–2006 BMW E46 323i / 325i / 328i / 330i
Fits with the stock or the upcoming Mishimoto aluminum expansion tank
Mishimoto Lifetime Warranty
Installs in one hour
Reduces coolant temperatures by 19°F (10.5°C) compared to the stock radiator
Fully brazed aluminum core with TIG-welded end tanks
Precision designed CNC-machined quick-disconnect fittings mate perfectly with stock hoses and Mishimoto BMW E46 Non-M Silicone Radiator Hoses
18% increase in coolant surface area
41% increase in air surface area
20% increase in coolant capacity
Fits perfectly with stock electric fan and Mishimoto BMW E46 Non-M Performance Fan Shroud