ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-16-2016, 06:42 PM   #1
habitat412
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 M Coupe

Traction control and brake lights on dashboard show up, what does it mean?

So this just started happening to my M Coupe and I'm curious to know if anyone experiences the same or if it's just me. The exhaust on my car is very very very loud and so it causes a lot of vibrations in the cabin and around the car and when I floor the car and at around about 70mph the car jerks a little bit as if the traction control is kicking on and then I get a yellow brake light as well as the traction control light on. It doesn't go away until I turn off the car and restart it. Now when I turn the traction control off ahead of time and I floor it the car doesn't jerk because the traction control is already off, but the yellow brake light will come on. It doesn't always come on at 70mph but typically when I am going at that speed or higher the volume of my exhaust or the vibrations from it somehow sets this off. Anyone had this happen before or experienced it? Let me know your thoughts on this? I figured once I replace my exhaust setup with a different one this would eventually stop, but I am curious if it really is the exhaust causing this or something else I need to look into, thanks. Background info my car does have an AA tune and flash on it so it is not a stock DME tune.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 09:58 PM   #2
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

If the yaw sensor under the driver seat gets inputs contrary to what the wheel speed sensors are indicating you get the ABS/DTC/DSC lights lit on the instrument cluster. I had this happen the first time I had my car out on the banked turns at Daytona. The yaw sensor detected the 30 degree tilt of the car but the G forces were significantly uphill and the speeds were well above highway speeds. The first couple of laps I could feel DTC/DSC intermittently trying to kick in and then at some point the system just gave up and I got all the warning lights. Not what you want to see when you're coming into the start/finish line at 140 right before the turn in for turn 1!
Possibly you're getting a lot of vibration into the floor board that's being picked up by the yaw sensor?
      08-18-2016, 10:25 PM   #3
habitat412
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
If the yaw sensor under the driver seat gets inputs contrary to what the wheel speed sensors are indicating you get the ABS/DTC/DSC lights lit on the instrument cluster. I had this happen the first time I had my car out on the banked turns at Daytona. The yaw sensor detected the 30 degree tilt of the car but the G forces were significantly uphill and the speeds were well above highway speeds. The first couple of laps I could feel DTC/DSC intermittently trying to kick in and then at some point the system just gave up and I got all the warning lights. Not what you want to see when you're coming into the start/finish line at 140 right before the turn in for turn 1!
Possibly you're getting a lot of vibration into the floor board that's being picked up by the yaw sensor?
That sounds about right. So it is because of the excessive vibrations underneath the car causing it to kick on.
Appreciate 0