ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #23
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick F. View Post
Rolf-Dieter,

I'm really glad you enjoyed the report. Do you live in Germany? I've enjoyed touring over there, as well.

Have fun planning your Vermont trip. I suspect you'll enjoy it immensely.

Rick F.
No Rick, I live in Canada and return to the old country every 5 to 7 years (more often now that I am retired). I normally do drive a lot when I am in Germany over 7K KM the last 2 trips. It is just so pictures driving the back roads. Not much to see if one only travels along the autobahn

My next new BMW will most likely be a ED and I'll tour Italy and Spain at the same time before returning home to Canada.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #24
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Quote:
Endless,

Dang--you mean I made this same trip before, took the same pictures, wrote it all up, and now I don't even remember??

Geez, I am getting old! And here I thought I'd never been to Smoke Hole Canyon before...

Rick F.
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #25
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3Cab/SMG/Dinan-Sold;335CabSld

Wow! sitting here making notes. Your storyis incredible! Came this way just to see if you had written again. Glad I did!
Took a tour yesterday in the bimmercab. We ended up in Elora. Pretty town. I shall post some pitures and share them with you.
Amazes me reading your tours! Thank you!
DaveL
Toronto

My wife's cars: Had a few... I'm the Navigator, capable of getting us lost at any time! Drives are longer!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #26
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the link to your low-sider description. Glad you had the right gear on. Keep the shiny side up!

It's the things we do a million times that trip us up. (I have 2 plates/14 screws for the slow right turn I did after teaching skiing for 35 years--tib/fib)

My wife's cars: Had a few... I'm the Navigator, capable of getting us lost at any time! Drives are longer!

Last edited by DaveL--2mnycars; 08-07-2011 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: sometimers
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #27
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i, Z3 2.5i

Quote:
bucko,

Speaking of which, my wife read the story last night and spotted what she took to be the ghostly image of a woman outside an upstairs window of the abandoned house I photographed:
Rick
Sure...sure...now I won't be able to sleep at night...

yes, I have to agree with her....ghostly image for sure!

I'll have to remind myself to setup for some interesting pictures on my trip. 4-5 days and counting.

BTW.... are you using "raw" type of photos to do the HDR shots?

'06 Z4 3.0i Jet Black/ Biege/Black
Leather / Premium Package / DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill
Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #28
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
If you ever get down this way, the Lowcountry (what they call the coastline from about Savannah to the NC border) is full of similar history. Obviously Charleston has an endless supply of old architecture, but once you get outside of town there are many smaller towns and communities that look similar to your pics ................... great stuff!

John
John,

I do get to Myrtle Beach every so often, mostly just to relax and enjoy the ocean. Next time I'll try actually looking around for a change!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #29
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
No Rick, I live in Canada and return to the old country every 5 to 7 years (more often now that I am retired). I normally do drive a lot when I am in Germany over 7K KM the last 2 trips. It is just so pictures driving the back roads. Not much to see if one only travels along the autobahn

My next new BMW will most likely be a ED and I'll tour Italy and Spain at the same time before returning home to Canada.
Rolf-Dieter,

I've always wanted to do a European delivery for a new car. It used to sound a lot more complicated, but now the factories seem to have it down to a science. And your tour plans sound great--I'm envious!

If you haven't already been there, Siena was one of my most-favorite places in Italy. And driving in Tuscany was beautiful, naturally.

Be sure to get some good pictures when you go and to post them here. (Then we'll all be envious!)

Rick
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #30
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mnycars View Post
Wow! sitting here making notes. Your storyis incredible! Came this way just to see if you had written again. Glad I did!
Took a tour yesterday in the bimmercab. We ended up in Elora. Pretty town. I shall post some pitures and share them with you.
Amazes me reading your tours! Thank you!
DaveL
Toronto
Quote:
Thanks for the link to your low-sider description. Glad you had the right gear on. Keep the shiny side up!

It's the things we do a million times that trip us up. (I have 2 plates/14 screws for the slow right turn I did after teaching skiing for 35 years--tib/fib)
Dave,

Good to hear from you, mon ami. And thanks for the Elora photos, which I very much enjoyed. (I'm glad it's warm enough in Canada for bikinis!)

As for West Virginia and Virginia, I hope you'll get to do some touring there some day. Both are wonderful, but if you had to pick just one, I'd go with West Virginia. The entire State is nothing but mountains and mountain roads. Most enjoyable.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 03:35 PM   #31
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko521 View Post
Sure...sure...now I won't be able to sleep at night...

yes, I have to agree with her....ghostly image for sure!

I'll have to remind myself to setup for some interesting pictures on my trip. 4-5 days and counting.

BTW.... are you using "raw" type of photos to do the HDR shots?
bucko,

Thanks for checking out the "ghost" for me. I passed along to my wife that you agree with her about the photo.

I don't use "raw" mode for the pictures I take, in part because that's about the only feature that my Canon SX-10 doesn't have. The other reason is that I can hold about 700 JPEG photos on a 2-GB memory card, which is (generally) enough for a 1-day trip. However, if I ever get really serious about HDR photography, then an SLR, tripod, and raw format are what the professor ordered...

So have a great trip (and be sure to post some photos for us).

Rick
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #32
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

nice camera work and a bit of history to boot.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 05:36 PM   #33
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Rolf-Dieter,

I've always wanted to do a European delivery for a new car. It used to sound a lot more complicated, but now the factories seem to have it down to a science. And your tour plans sound great--I'm envious!

If you haven't already been there, Siena was one of my most-favorite places in Italy. And driving in Tuscany was beautiful, naturally.

Be sure to get some good pictures when you go and to post them here. (Then we'll all be envious!)

Rick

Rick

In 2009 I made the factory / museum tour in Germany (Dresden - Leipzig - Stuttgart and Munich) visiting VW, Porsche, Mercedes and of course BMW. It was a wonderful trip (boys trip left the wife at home). Something I highly recommend to everyone that is interested in the world of the automobile

One day when I find the time I will put together a nice photo-album of that trip.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 04:50 PM   #34
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
nice camera work and a bit of history to boot.
chriszeh,

Very glad that you enjoyed the photos and history!

Rick F.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 09:23 PM   #35
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Endless,

Dang--you mean I made this same trip before, took the same pictures, wrote it all up, and now I don't even remember??

Geez, I am getting old! And here I thought I'd never been to Smoke Hole Canyon before...

Rick F.
Isn't there a movie coming out with another parallel (empty) Earth planet? Thought I saw a promo for it. Your writing is incredible, and I appreciate every new piece I see. And sure am glad you survived your low-side excursion on your 2-wheeler.

Best,

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #36
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Dave,

I don't know about the movie, but I really appreciate your comment on my trip reports--thanks!

As for the low-side, it could have been worse. I thought my new tires were adequately broken in, but they weren't, and my GS slid out from under me at the first significant lean angle I gave it. We both slid along the road for quite a ways and onto a small bridge, where a relatively new guard rail kept the bike (and possibly me!) from going over the edge into the little stream below.

It was a lot more of an adventure than I needed. I felt a little better learning that there had been 34 other mishaps in this same turn over the prior 5 or 10 years, but I would have made it easily if I'd just left my old Michelins on the GS. Ah well.

I look forward to seeing the pictures from whatever your next trip turns out to be!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 06:31 PM   #37
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

Countless years ago we set off on a motorcycle trip. Kingston Ontario to Putnam Vermont. When we got there, we decided to go see Easy Rider in Boston. Saw it. Flinched every time we saw a pickup truck on the way back!

"Get a haircut" brought back memories too. Dennis Hopper, RIP

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 09:23 PM   #38
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Countless years ago we set off on a motorcycle trip. Kingston Ontario to Putnam Vermont. When we got there, we decided to go see Easy Rider in Boston. Saw it. Flinched every time we saw a pickup truck on the way back!

"Get a haircut" brought back memories too. Dennis Hopper, RIP
Dennis Hopper was always one of my favorites, RIP
Appreciate 0