ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #23
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ ....... Z4MR (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crfine88 View Post
Not a fan of digital.
IMHO you should put your money into good mechanical torque wrenches. I trust and invested in Snap-on torque wrenches.
Hard to swallow the price, but they have not let me down. Not the only good wrench out there though.

Not fair Crfine...you got the snap on connection. They are quality tools that no one denies. Bluepoint is the lower end...and they also have williams and many others...I think CDI too. I love all things digital...but torque wrenches should be mechanical from all that I have read... I like the slide scale type torques as you never have to zero them. As Crfine said...many good torque wrenches out there... general nice American made stuff. German is way too much money, so unless you are a professional mechanic, I think anything from Proto, Armstrong will suit your needs. I just like the precision style myself.

Just another side comment...the good tools cost a lot, but it feels good when you use them and they work a lot better...put a smile just like when I drive the Z4s.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 08:37 PM   #24
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
I work as a Manufacturing Engineer for one of the world largest Jet Engines maker and you won't find a single digital torque wrench on the Production Floor. Just invest in the more well known brands and you will be fined. Also, always remember to turn the torque setting back to ZERO once you done.
+1 on digital vs mechanical & turn it back to zero when through. I work as a Phys/Dim/mech metrologist (Guy who engineers calibration methods, procedures, equipment to test the accuracy of things like torque wrenches and lots of other things in Physics. Yes, that class we all fell asleep in; who knew?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Can you elaborate a bit more on why?
Damn, you pushed my soap box button. I deal with this all day as a sidebar to work......... Sorry in advance for the lecture. Torque wrench 101 follows:

A standard Snap-on (micrometer adjust, clicker) is an excellent tool. Typical accuracy is CW 4% of indicated value, CCW 6% iv ( i.e. going CW, set for 100 ftlbs it will click at 96 to 104 of applied torque). Also note that range on nearly every torque wrench is 20-100% of max range. So that 150 ftlb torque wrench should not be used below 30 ftlbs (if the scale even reads below that). If you need to go lower you get another wrench. Times past, you bought the wrench based on 2 times the most common torque you used as that was where the wrench was at its most accurate, but not so any more. For more money you can buy better accuracy but most automotive applications work well with the CW 4% iv, CCW 6% iv level. I have seen many Snap-ons, and CDIs a decade or older that hold their accuracy very well. I've owned a Sears micrometer clicker for 25 years and it still performs as well as when I bought it. For the home use guy these are not bad tools. The snap-ons/CDI hold up pretty well for high use situations.

The digital IMHO is a waste unless you have a specific application for something like the uber expensive ones that are capable of monitoring run-on (or prevailing) torque. When applying torque you should be focused on proper technique, insuring your wrench is "perpendicular" to the bolt and pulling "straight" in the direction of the torque using the handle with the palm of your hand covering the center of the handle, ONLY. Sometimes there is a line on the handle to indicate hand placement. Everybodies got their preference, but IMHO a Digital display just encourages you to stare at the handle instead of what you should watch. The clicker solves all that. Pull properly and listen for the "click," simple.

Most folks are better served just understanding what the torque wrench specs mean, how to properly use it, and how to care for the torque wrench. If you can consistently, and correctly, use the tool this has a bigger impact on anything you are torqueing than a having digital readout or a highly acccurate (expensive) tool.

This vid is pretty good. The part about having the wrench calibrated periodically is pretty smart. Bad part about clickers is ignorant folks. People leave the clickers pre-loaded and toss them in the tool box and 6 months later just dont follow why the the wheel fell off or they just snapped off four out of five lug nuts (rare but it happens). Most micrometer clickers can be adjusted.
Good luck

Last edited by BruceJ; 08-16-2011 at 08:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #25
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl1pt View Post
History:
First off a little back ground I am in the military and one of my jobs is to test torque wrench and calibrate them. So I have access to a CDI torque tester, and work with torque wrenches as part of my job.
Awesome, thought I was the only cal geek with a Z. What branch mil and which lab? Ret USMC myself at the Depot Lab in Albany Ga. Somewhere bet a Type 1 and 2 depending on measurement area.
2011 E93 335is - current fav
Appreciate 0