ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
bax008
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4

Luggage Rack

Since I have regular tires on my Z4, I decided to order the BMW spare tire, jack and lug wrench. I feel much better knowing I have a spare now. However it takes up some room in the trunk. I would like to install a luggage rack on my 2005 Z4. I don't like the removable one offered for the Z4. What I'm looking for is a permenant rack. I was wondering if anyone has installed a rack from another car, such as,MG, Triumph, Austin healy, Jag, etc, that they found worked just fine. Or know of any web site that offer other racks for the Z4.

Thanks, Ken
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

I like they 2 metal mounting bars that come with the oem kit. U can attach anything to that
      03-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Walkurie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster / 99 Jaguar XK8

I originally used a removable rack. It was okay, never had a problem. Then went to the non-removable BMW rack. As you might imagine, it is heavily engineered and designed to accomodate all of the attachments. yes, it does use two streamline-styled bars that can be painted body color, and then the rack itself is detachable from the bars. I do not remember a problem with clearance (to the window) for the removable rack, but there is a clearance issue for the BMW rack. You need to make sure to install the limiting strap that should come with the BMW rack.

Seems the BMW hard luggage case is NLA. Used the same concept as the cases installed on BMW bikes.