ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
ftlaudm3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 LSB ; Z4 3.0i

Spring Compressor not enough

So I am lowering the car using H&R springs. Reusing my OEM struts..yes I know they will blow and when they do I will get Koni's or coilovers. I like working on the car so the additional labor is just my time. I really do enjoy doing the labor....get to work in the garage and spend time with my car and tools...

Question - Took out the front strut no problems. The problem is the spring compressors will not compress enough to fully disengage all pressure. I know how to use them properly. Did my other car last week and have done a few others as well. The spring is not large enough to grab 3 turns. The non M top hat sits into the coil and stops you from getting a 3rd coil. Using two turns on the spring on opposite sides is not enough.

Options:
1. Take it to shop - may end up doing this...but seems like I shouldn't have too
2. Use ratchet straps as well as the compressors....
3. Saw a thread where you take off nut on top hat and raise car slowly decompressing the spring while car is raised - in theory this should work, but who knows....not feeling this method...

I tried like four times to reposition the compressors to get absolutely the most coils on the spring as possible. IDEAS???? Non M struts are different so M strut removal DIY's will not help. They have the ability to grab three turns on the spring.
      12-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
Jmanscotch
is a Texan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i - 6MT SOLD

Shop should be able to do it pretty inexpensive and easily, so I'm favoring that option.

The straps idea might work (depending if I'm picturing this correctly) but seems a little tricky.

Another thought, would having more spring compressors (placed in a different way, in addition to those currently used) do the trick? Autozone, or the like, could probably rent you some if so.

Last edited by Jmanscotch; 12-22-2011 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
gcochard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I wouldn't want to use straps since they may snap. I would do option 3 before that.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

I took my stock springs out with just a pry bar. Just muscle it out while maybe turning them
      12-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
ftlaudm3
Enlisted Member
Rep

I would put a strap almost equal to the spring compressor....they can hold like over 5000lbs if you have the heavy duty ones....I figured using both might do the trick to get that little bit more of compression off the top hat. No idea if it would even work.

#3 sounds good in theory, but also dangerous in that once the piston of the strut leaves the top hat the spring car shoot the secondary top mount sideways since its at an angle.

#1 Take it to the shop is obviously the safest and easiest. Just doesn't seem like I should be required since I have spring compressors.

Still taking ideas........anyone???
      12-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
ftlaudm3
Enlisted Member
Rep

To give you an idea that I am not alone here is two links.....don't really help safely...but you can see what I am talking about...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ing+compressor

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ing+compressor
      12-22-2011, 11:44 PM   #7
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

I used 4 dollar cinch type straps from home depot to help me with a previous M3 spring compression. They helped a lot since my two spring compressors were having a similar problem as you. Your ratchet straps will do just fine. I think I used two. I used them to get the top hat on and later to fit the struts back under the car which was a tight fit. The Z4M isn't as tight of a fit to put back on.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
Ovaltine
floor sweeper
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 Coupe

Volvo springs can be tricky too. I used one of these compressors, could be of benefit over the traditional style.

http://www.harborfreight.com/single-...sor-43753.html
Appreciate 0