ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #243
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Six View Post
How many interested parties feel the need to keep the sunglass holster ? It will impede the view . It also won't hold today's larger framed sunglasses either is one reason I ask.
To answer your question I could care less about the sunglasses holder.
      04-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #244
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF
Quote:
How many interested parties feel the need to keep the sunglass holster ? It will impede the view . It also won't hold today's larger framed sunglasses either is one reason I ask.
To answer your question I could care less about the sunglasses holder.

Thanks for paying attention. I will be cutting up my spare headliner to modify it so there will be a nice clean surround for the viewing area.
If the sunglass holder was more user friendly, I would have considered keeping it in the mix.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #245
j03chu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 SG/IR Z4MR | 07 AW/Blk Z4MC

T Top???

Quote:
Of course.............

Tiwsted,

Sorry to be late to chime in on this topic,

but for the longest time I've always loved the convertible, top down, but not the c pillar roof line.

All this talk about the lighter CF roof, how bout a removable targa?

i would LOVE to have a targa which i can remove and drive around just like the images you posted. Awesome...

Or was this covered in your other threads?

I guess the cheaper version is to just remove the roof like you did ;]

***OOPs, this IS the corerct thread for this.. Wow nvm got confused reading the other threads

-Joe
KWV3 | CCW LM20 | Eventuri | Rogue Engineering short shifter, mounts and exhaust | BMW Motorsports shift knob | mudflaps | stubby antennas

Last edited by j03chu; 04-12-2013 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: Wow, i supposed this IS the thread for the "targa/ moon top"
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #246
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j03chu View Post
Tiwsted,

Sorry to be late to chime in on this topic,

but for the longest time I've always loved the convertible, top down, but not the c pillar roof line.

All this talk about the lighter CF roof, how bout a removable targa?

i would LOVE to have a targa which i can remove and drive around just like the images you posted. Awesome...

Or was this covered in your other threads?

I guess the cheaper version is to just remove the roof like you did ;]

***OOPs, this IS the corerct thread for this.. Wow nvm got confused reading the other threads

-Joe
I think you just got too excited,lol.

If I come through with a re-usable seal, the Targa type roof is no longer a dream. Although it (the roof ) will fit in the close hatch...its isn't safe there or even really drivable for taller drivers....so its a fair weather idea/option at best.
But I plan on enjoying mine this way with a neat removable stay-fast canvas top when parked.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #247
papitosabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 Coupe

not sure if this has been asked, but whats a ball park, guestimate on price for this...just want to have an idea if I should start saving now...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #248
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by papitosabe View Post
not sure if this has been asked, but whats a ball park, guestimate on price for this...just want to have an idea if I should start saving now...
I haven't begun to make a final price/cost breakdown for this yet due to minimum run fee's. Its possible my prototype will cost as much as a run of 25 units of acrylic with screening,tint and UV protection and the use of my current CF substructure bonded to it.

My goal is to make them as near to the CF pricing as possible. But since some of these steps are done out of my facility, prices may be higher. I guess I should start a list of interested buyers to better dial the final price in.

But to answer the question directly....YES, start saving now of course !
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 07:11 AM   #249
papitosabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

would love to see this implemened in the roofs as the tint being used.....wow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5NbiHhHrnvM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=aUJcne41-u0
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #250
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

If it went black would be cool. Opaque doesn't match much.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #251
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbosock View Post
If it went black would be cool. Opaque doesn't match much.
I agree, everything I've researched on this so far has been the milky opaque look. Even when over tinted with a smoky film. I don't want to completely block the view at any point with these roofs.

Still cool stuff.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #252
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
I agree, everything I've researched on this so far has been the milky opaque look. Even when over tinted with a smoky film. I don't want to completely block the view at any point with these roofs.

Still cool stuff.
^correct
I have see this stuff IRL, I didn't like it at all.
It is also MUCH thicker than other films & MUCH harder to get a clean install.
The optics suffer as well.

This was a couple of years ago, so it may have improved.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #253
papitosabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

ahhh...could of sworn I saw a black tint style on one of the vids...thats what I would have wanted...maybe they'll create a black type tint one day...my mistake...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #254
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ahhh...could of sworn I saw a black tint style on one of the vids...thats what I would have wanted...maybe they'll create a black type tint one day...my mistake...
If you run across an updated black version, please pm me !
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #255
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5 03

I dont even own a Coupe yet but put me in for one of these... I will be buying a Z4 coupe in the next 1-2 years after I sell my roadster. It will need this roof, this is basically a dream come true for me.

Doesnt seem to be structural so I wouldnt have any major concerns about such a mod. Would prefer to use an acrylic that doesnt shatter but needs to be able to be tinted.

Cant wait to see some prototypes
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #256
nadaclue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Urban Green 2003 3.0

Polymer and coatings chemist here. Getting a black "film" that does this seems impossible at this point, it changes due to an electrical current being applied to the polymer that essentially re-arranges the polymer matrix. That's why it goes milky and not black, think matte clear coat versus glossy clear coat. Same idea, the change in polymers creates a disruption in light refraction which leads to opaque films.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #257
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4inAZ View Post
I dont even own a Coupe yet but put me in for one of these... I will be buying a Z4 coupe in the next 1-2 years after I sell my roadster. It will need this roof, this is basically a dream come true for me.

Doesnt seem to be structural so I wouldnt have any major concerns about such a mod. Would prefer to use an acrylic that doesnt shatter but needs to be able to be tinted.

Cant wait to see some prototypes
These will come in shatterproof Acrylic and pre-tinted. The underside surface is coated to accept additional film type tinting if needed. They also have a UV stable blocker in place.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 11:57 PM   #258
papitosabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

This will be by far the best z4 coupe mod to date... I had asked about something like this back in 07 here but there was nothing..this will make it a huge transformation, and upsell if/when needed ...but doubt anyone will let it go, if they have this mod...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #259
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This will be by far the best z4 coupe mod to date... I had asked about something like this back in 07 here but there was nothing..this will make it a huge transformation, and upsell if/when needed ...but doubt anyone will let it go, if they have this mod...
I think you may be right. Most of the people who contact me feel the same way so far. Its a bit of a luxury item for a car overlooked for such options.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #260
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5 03

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadaclue View Post
Polymer and coatings chemist here. Getting a black "film" that does this seems impossible at this point, it changes due to an electrical current being applied to the polymer that essentially re-arranges the polymer matrix. That's why it goes milky and not black, think matte clear coat versus glossy clear coat. Same idea, the change in polymers creates a disruption in light refraction which leads to opaque films.
Wouldnt the only engineering challenge here be to make the polymer matrix absorb all the light isntead of reflecting it? The tech seems to exist, its just a matter of getting it in a film form...
http://switchableprivacyglass.wordpr...ectric-switch/

Quote:
These will come in shatterproof Acrylic and pre-tinted. The underside surface is coated to accept additional film type tinting if needed. They also have a UV stable blocker in place.
Sounds very cool. I will probably install an extra layer of tint living in AZ and its great to know I have that option.

Hows the progess coming on this thing? Would really like to see something come to fruition, lots of dreamers out there but you actually seem to have the capability to make this work... dont give up

And I know you mentioned youd be making it an OEM quality install - are you producing a whole new interior panel to "trim" the interior roof panel? Or do we need to go to an interior upholstery shop to get the panel reshaped? I read through the whole thread and it may have been mentioned but its a lot of info to take in at once as it is

Last edited by Z4inAZ; 07-08-2013 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #261
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4inAZ View Post
Wouldnt the only engineering challenge here be to make the polymer matrix absorb all the light isntead of reflecting it? The tech seems to exist, its just a matter of getting it in a film form...
http://switchableprivacyglass.wordpr...ectric-switch/

Sounds very cool. I will probably install an extra layer of tint living in AZ and its great to know I have that option.

Hows the progess coming on this thing? Would really like to see something come to fruition, lots of dreamers out there but you actually seem to have the capability to make this work... dont give up

And I know you mentioned youd be making it an OEM quality install - are you producing a whole new interior panel to "trim" the interior roof panel? Or do we need to go to an interior upholstery shop to get the panel reshaped? I read through the whole thread and it may have been mentioned but its a lot of info to take in at once as it is
It is a lot of back-reading,lol. To your question about the inner trim/headliner.
I have a stock headliner thats being re-shaped for nice flow lines to finish things off nicely and still leave the maximum open air feel space. It will be a part of the kit. No need for anyone to visit the upholstery shop. It will be a nicely done kit.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #262
asirvr4
Private First Class
Oman
Rep
Drives: '06 M Coupe VRS Blue

Is there a kit to be able to have a removable OEM metal roof?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #263
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asirvr4 View Post
Is there a kit to be able to have a removable OEM metal roof?
Not that I'm aware of to date. The Carbon Fiber roofs will be able to do that later on when the re-useable seal is done.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 11:59 PM   #264
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

As I drove my car to work I looked up and wondered how it would be to have a see through roof. I bet it would be awesome! Just trim the interior piece as much as possible so it doesn't look like a tiny port hole.
Appreciate 0