ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-12-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
Francisco4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 3.0si Z4 Manual

What is Start-Off Assistant, ect.?

Hello,

I am still in my first month of ownership of my 2007 Z4 3.0si Roadster. Still making my way through of all of reading on-line, owners manual, and such. I came across the original car sticker with the description of the car and its features. One thing that caught my eye was, "Start-off Assistant and Brake Drying and Brake Stand-by features". What are these? What do they do? Is it something that I can actual feel while driving? Owners manual didn't aid in anyway. Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Francisco
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 01:01 PM   #2
gas-can
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0i Roadster

Start off assistant- I think this was called hill assist before- it prevents the car from rolling when you stop on a hill by auto applying the brakes for ~1 sec. Especially useful with manuals when you get idiots that park right up your rear. Don't need the handbrake anymore.

Brake drying- when it's raining (as determined by rain sensor?) the brakes are very gently applied against the rotors to clear away water. Idea is to have them dry to give better braking if needed.

Brake stand by- I think this auto applies the brakes extremely lightly if you lift off the throttle really abruptly (emg braking). Removes slack from the pads and rotors so that they can be applied extremely fast.

The hill assist is the most apparent- the other 2 are transparent (at least to me).

Hope this helps,
-gc
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #3
Francisco4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 3.0si Z4 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas-can View Post
Start off assistant- I think this was called hill assist before- it prevents the car from rolling when you stop on a hill by auto applying the brakes for ~1 sec. Especially useful with manuals when you get idiots that park right up your rear. Don't need the handbrake anymore.

The hill assist is the most apparent- the other 2 are transparent (at least to me).

Hope this helps,
-gc
Thank you! The start off assistant I feel every time I am backing out of my driveway. At first I thought that the brakes had locked up, bad caliper, act.

The others sound like cool tools to.

FDR
Appreciate 0