ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
whitejdm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M

From mild to wild...RPI exhaust review

Shop was dead today so we threw my new RPI cans on the coupe. No photos or videos yet (will get to it, besides there are tons around already). Just wanted to give some initial impressions coming from the Stromung cans to this.

Fit and Finish: Overall they seem pretty good. However, I must say I expected a little better, just holding them in your hand there are LOTS of little imperfections in the finish and the logo on the tips don't seem all that nice to be honest. Also a pet peave is that the tips are attached to each other which I never noticed looking at pictures. Now as for the FIT of the exhaust, it is perfect. They bolted up without any problems at all and required almost no adjustment compared to the stromungs. The stromungs get the nod for over all quality though.

SOUND: So here is the where the RPI's make up lost ground. The sounds coming out of these things are AMAZING. Idle is quiet (relatively) and they sound GREAT under 2k..lots of gurgles and pops and a nice hollow tone (very exotic). Up at 4500rpm + they just scream like a race car. My friend described it best I think; "they sound like a F430 scuderia if it was rev limited to 6k". Sort of that hollow crackley dump truck like tone exotics have until they hit their stride haha.
Now the ONLY sore spot is (you guessed it) the DRONE at 2500 o 3500 rpm. It's SO intense I can hardly believe it, MUCH worse that staight pipes I'd say. Basically you just have to drive VERY easy and only go hard when you REALLY mean it.

BOTTOM LINE: These mufflers have some flaws that are difficult to live with, but I've only laughed out loud at an exhaust a couple ot times, and this is one of them. And cars for me are all about feeling good...even with a headache
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

^time for some sound dampening in the trunk. u will be amazed at the difference!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
Cal@Sonic MS
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Thanks for your honest review. We'll be installing a rear section next week as well, and will post some videos and customer's impressions
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
So i take it ya like em! Gonna be putting mine on this sunday most likely
      04-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Glad you like it. RPi is the business.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
My favorite sounding exhaust. Not crazy about the tip design either though...but I think I'll be able to live with it. If it really starts to bother me I'll get some 83mm tips welded on...need the exhaust first...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

I'm happy that you like it, JDM! I have rpi as well, and am in butt-love with it. I havent posted any RPi reaction anecdotes in a while so here's a quick one from today.

'04 stang pulls up behind me at a light and revs his engine. He does this a few times, the last one to about 6krpm. I dont want a ticket, so I do nothing. He keeps revving it, and eventually I give in. With the clutch to the floor, my right foot squashes the loud-pedal, and the s54 comes to life. Long story short, 2 parked car alarms went off and the mustang must have heard enough. the rest of the red light was very silent hahah I love this thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
whitejdm
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4gs View Post
^time for some sound dampening in the trunk. u will be amazed at the difference!
What did you end up going with to dampen the sound? I don't find them too LOUD it's just the resonance that is awful.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

^i added a layer of dynamat extreme to the floor of the trunk and added a layer of ensolite atop tt. It's made the range of resonance smaller and less loud, and brings out the higher, more exotic frequencies. Drone is significantly reduced which is probably the biggest plus. A few rpi owners have gone the sound dampening route, it's extremely affordable and super easy diy tt looks completely stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 08:25 PM   #10
alvinli217
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola RED dIrTy Z4MR - SOLD

told u the drone was terrible LOL
i had a hard time talking with my gf or even listen to music on highway so i sold them

it does sound exotic for sure...i do miss it when im driving next to Ferrari and Lambo haha coz i couldn't scream with them even though i couldn't catch up to them XD
maybe an SC kit would do the job to catch up with them haha
RPI scoop|BMC drop in filter|EAS V1 aluminum mount|ZHP shiftknob|RHO plate holder|matte black grill|LED interior & license plate light|RE SSK|RE tranny mount|UUC engine mount|Bavarian CDV|clutch stop|18" Forgestar CF5 GOLD|RPI exhaust|H&R coilovers| RE RSM|
coming soon: aFe intake|tune|secondary cat delete|
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #11
alvinli217
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
^i added a layer of dynamat extreme to the floor of the trunk and added a layer of ensolite atop tt. It's made the range of resonance smaller and less loud, and brings out the higher, more exotic frequencies. Drone is significantly reduced which is probably the biggest plus. A few rpi owners have gone the sound dampening route, it's extremely affordable and super easy diy tt looks completely stock.
maybe i should do that haha XD
buy it back from the guy that i sold it to.
RPI scoop|BMC drop in filter|EAS V1 aluminum mount|ZHP shiftknob|RHO plate holder|matte black grill|LED interior & license plate light|RE SSK|RE tranny mount|UUC engine mount|Bavarian CDV|clutch stop|18" Forgestar CF5 GOLD|RPI exhaust|H&R coilovers| RE RSM|
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #12
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

^my first long distance trip (150 miles) with the rpi's almost drove me to the point of pulling them off, but i did some research on sound dampening and gave it more miles to break-in and settle. it's now by far my favorite mod among the few i've decided on, and i'd be hard-pressed to go back to oem. u must sometimes wish u could experience the visceral scream all over again no?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #13
Thisisdudewhoru
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM 340i

I wish someone close to me had rpi. I'd like to compare it with my car that has cutouts after the headers.
      04-09-2011, 10:49 PM   #14
jonanator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 E93 335i, '06 Z4MC

I had the RPi exhaust before and got rid of it, the drone was just too much for me to handle. Nothing quite sounds like it though. I am contemplating buying it again and sound proofing the trunk. Where can I buy the ensolite?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 11:50 PM   #15
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisdudewhoru View Post
I wish someone close to me had rpi. I'd like to compare it with my car that has cutouts after the headers.
more details on the cutouts post headers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonanator View Post
I had the RPi exhaust before and got rid of it, the drone was just too much for me to handle. Nothing quite sounds like it though. I am contemplating buying it again and sound proofing the trunk. Where can I buy the ensolite?
i bought ensolite from raamaudio - http://www.raamaudio.com/index.php?p...chk=1&Itemid=3

imo, the dynamat helped more since it absorbs a specific range of frequencies, part of which is responsible for the drone.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 02:30 AM   #16
melo
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 M coupe

great review, my favorite exhaust out there too. but i guess i just cant live with the drone considering i have to drive my gf and mom most of the time :S
      04-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #17
whitejdm
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That sounds PERFECT. I'm gonna go pick some up this week thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #18
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

^cool i don't think the ensolite is absolutely necessary as its effect was a lot less than the dynamat, but i added it just to bring the overall volume down a notch. it is still balls out crazy at wot, especially when u've got reflective surfaces like walls ala tunnels or are blasting through the big city.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 04:23 AM   #19
alvinli217
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
^my first long distance trip (150 miles) with the rpi's almost drove me to the point of pulling them off, but i did some research on sound dampening and gave it more miles to break-in and settle. it's now by far my favorite mod among the few i've decided on, and i'd be hard-pressed to go back to oem. u must sometimes wish u could experience the visceral scream all over again no?
possible, but i will keep my stromung to switch it back and forth

i already texted the new owner of my RPI exhaust to sell it back to me if he can't stand it or if he sells his car
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 08:04 AM   #20
Shorestyle031
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M roadster

rasp?
      04-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #21
Cal@Sonic MS
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Here's some quick pics and a video we took of an installation we performed today.

More info / pics in below link
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...21#post9352321
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #22
whitejdm
Private First Class
Rep

good video, very accurate!
Appreciate 0