ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-05-2016, 01:37 PM   #1
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

The bird bath

I bet you thought this would be a thread about the trunk? It isn't. It's about the other bird bath our cars have, the trim under the engine. Ever been annoyed about how much water that gathers in the trim under the engine when you wash the car? Well, I have. It must take ages for that water to vaporize, so today I decided to do something about it.

After washing the car and driving it up on the ramp a lot of water poured out from the trim. Thinking most of it must have poured out I looked for the lowest point of the trim and meassured to be sure the hole I was about to drill was in the middle. Starting with a 5 mm drill thinking it was unlikely I would get wet, I was wrong. A ridiculous amount of water poured out of that 5 mm hole when I removed the drill, it was like the fountain of youth! It poured out of that hole for a good couple of minutes and 2 towels had to be used to soak up all the water. When the water stopped pouring I enlarged the hole to 10 mm. The problem should be solved now.

Also decided to do an inspection of the underside while the car was already on the lift. No leaks under the car whatsoever and everything looked fine, except for the dent I have in one of the pipes of the exhaust system that a previous over is responsible for. I had a small leak at the chain tensioner so I tightened it a little, it wasn't very tight. I have a spare gasket if the leak doesn't stop.

And since it seems like it is a quite common problem I checked the bolts to the rear sway bar and they were tight. I also wanted to check the engine mount bolts but that looked like a pain in the ass so I'll do that another time as I had been in the garage the entire day.

It's the bolts to the actual mount and not the bushing that may come lose, right?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 06:38 AM   #2
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

IIRC the bolts that come loose are the ones securing the bracket from the top of the mount to the block, on the block side
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 04:45 PM   #3
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

Alright, as a safety measure I'll order the motorsport bolts and swap out the old ones.
Appreciate 0