ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-23-2016, 08:44 AM   #1
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Storing the Z for 1 year

I just found out I'm being transferred 5000 miles for a job assignment. I'll be taking the roadster out of storage this weekend to go for a nice Memorial Day drive, but I'll have to put it right back into storage 3 weeks later. Really wish I could take this car with me since I'll have a lot of free time on my hands, but I need to bring a car with backseats and it's too expensive to ship a 2nd car out of pocket. I was thinking of giving it an oil change, drive it a few times, wash/wax and then put the cover back on. Should I do anything different if I'm storing it for 1 year vs a typical 6-month winter season?

I'm actually storing 2 cars in the same garage, so I'm looking for advice on storing my other car too. It's an Audi SUV with all-season tires and no car cover. Would it be better to leave the SUV with a friend and have them drive it once in a while? It's either store it in my garage or leave it with a friend who will leave it outside and drive it 1-2x per month.

Last edited by Twixboy; 05-23-2016 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 09:19 AM   #2
gas-can
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0i Roadster

That sucks twix.

I'd just give it a a good wash, put a bottle of fuel stabilizer, either put the battery on a long term tender or disconnect it, and put the cover on it after a good wash and dry.

Re suv, I personally think it's better to do the same as the z. Short trips are not so good for a car, unless your friend can drive it to get the oil really hot to burn off all the moisture.

-gc
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 09:41 AM   #3
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Battery tender (whether battery is in or out of car), inflate tires to maximum to help avoid flat spotting. Stuff exhaust with something to prevent rodents, change oil before and after. Fuel is a tough one, I would try to find a non ethanol source and fill it up with it, then use stabilizer. Even with stabilizer some of the issues with ethanol remain.

Also, for a money savings get high deductible insurance (chances of accident are close to zero), get low mileage insurance, if you are sure no one will drive the cars drop Collision, rental reimbursement, but not all insurance (someone can still steal them, building could collapse, etc.).

Also would take storing both for a whole year over leaving either outside with the occasional drive.
      05-24-2016, 07:17 AM   #4
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Ditto to all the above - inside, washed, waxed, covered and on a battery tender gets my vote. BMW makes some nice ones and I understand that the company that makes the battery tender for BMW makes the same unit without the BMW name, and its cheaper as a result.

Also, when you are running the car before you store it, put the ventilation system in recirculation / no outside air mode. Per a comment I saw on one forum somewhere, that closes the vent system's outside air door(s) and thus eliminates a path for nasties to get in.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2016, 08:07 AM   #5
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Ditto to all the above - inside, washed, waxed, covered and on a battery tender gets my vote. BMW makes some nice ones and I understand that the company that makes the battery tender for BMW makes the same unit without the BMW name, and its cheaper as a result.

Also, when you are running the car before you store it, put the ventilation system in recirculation / no outside air mode. Per a comment I saw on one forum somewhere, that closes the vent system's outside air door(s) and thus eliminates a path for nasties to get in.
Thanks, I do all the above for regular seasonal storage already. The unbranded BMW charger you're referring to is the Deltran Battery Tender. I've never seen the tip about putting the system in recirculation mode, but I'll remember to do that this time.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 10:22 AM   #6
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Most others have already said it, but I'd treat it the same as storing for 6mo. When did you last change the oil?

My insurance company drops my deductible if I let them know it my car is being stored. It retains its coverage but only if it remains at the address on my account (i.e. home).

I'd treat the SUV the same as the Z and just leave it with its stablemate at home. Battery tender and fuel stabilizer for both.
      05-24-2016, 11:21 AM   #7
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Most others have already said it, but I'd treat it the same as storing for 6mo. When did you last change the oil?

My insurance company drops my deductible if I let them know it my car is being stored. It retains its coverage but only if it remains at the address on my account (i.e. home).

I'd treat the SUV the same as the Z and just leave it with its stablemate at home. Battery tender and fuel stabilizer for both.
I last changed the oil May 2015 and drove 2000 miles since then.

My battery is pretty old, so I'm thinking of just taking it out and letting it die a slow death, then buy a new one when I come back. That way I can use my battery tender on the SUV and I won't need to buy 2 battery tenders.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 09:40 AM   #8
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Out of curiosity, why change the oil prior to storing the car?

I'm going through the same thing right now (1 year relocation, but with 3 cars stored). Changing the oil twice on three cars gets expensive, especially with 10W-60.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 12:34 PM   #9
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
Out of curiosity, why change the oil prior to storing the car?

I'm going through the same thing right now (1 year relocation, but with 3 cars stored). Changing the oil twice on three cars gets expensive, especially with 10W-60.
Good point. I'm not necessarily changing the oil because I'm storing it, but rather because it's been a year because I last changed it. I don't plan to change the oil twice either, so I can either change the oil now or when I get back. Probably better to just change the dirty oil, then store it with fresh oil right? Then drive it another year when I get back before changing it again.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 02:01 PM   #10
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
Good point. I'm not necessarily changing the oil because I'm storing it, but rather because it's been a year because I last changed it. I don't plan to change the oil twice either, so I can either change the oil now or when I get back. Probably better to just change the dirty oil, then store it with fresh oil right? Then drive it another year when I get back before changing it again.
The argument for an oil change prior to storage is that there are various by-products found in used oil that are generated as the engine is operating and that can, over time, cause small damage to the engine while its stored. While I personally think you would have to have exceptionally dirty oil stored in a car for a very long time and some combination of really bad luck, I think if an oil change is in your future, you should do it before storage.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 12:49 AM   #11
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Come on Shane, bring one of em out here man

Twix, what do you do for a living mate? sometimes re-assignment can be like a holiday.

cheers