ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-27-2016, 04:50 AM   #1
coh661
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4 M COUPE  [8.00]
Air condition help

Wondering if anyone can help with my AC question. After a long search, I'm now a proud owner of a 2007 Z4m coupe. Last week I purchased it from a gentleman in Pennsylvania. I decided to drive it back to Detroit as amazingly the weather would be clear and in the 50's that day. On the way home I realized that I hadn't tested out the AC before purchase so I fired it on. To my horror I couldn't get anything but warm air. Knowing that AC problems could get expensive I was kicking myself for not testing it first. So after I got home I did my research and read that the car may have a system where the AC won't blow cold if the outside air temp is less than 59 deg. So the next day I lucked out and it was in the 60's so I fired up the A/C again and sure enough cold air came out, not freezing cold but definitely cold. Could someone confirm this is how the system is supposed to behave? I Would like the know for sure instead of waiting until the next time it gets above 60 deg.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 07:54 AM   #2
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by milamookie View Post
Wondering if anyone can help with my AC question. After a long search, I'm now a proud owner of a 2007 Z4m coupe. Last week I purchased it from a gentleman in Pennsylvania. I decided to drive it back to Detroit as amazingly the weather would be clear and in the 50's that day. On the way home I realized that I hadn't tested out the AC before purchase so I fired it on. To my horror I couldn't get anything but warm air. Knowing that AC problems could get expensive I was kicking myself for not testing it first. So after I got home I did my research and read that the car may have a system where the AC won't blow cold if the outside air temp is less than 59 deg. So the next day I lucked out and it was in the 60's so I fired up the A/C again and sure enough cold air came out, not freezing cold but definitely cold. Could someone confirm this is how the system is supposed to behave? I Would like the know for sure instead of waiting until the next time it gets above 60 deg.
Milamookie,

Congrats on your new Z4M! I think it does have a cutoff, but I was thinking it only had to be above freezing (>32 F) to work. I'll be driving mine today, and I'll test it before the temp reaches 59 and let you know what happens. Does the light come on for the AC when the temp is below 59?

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 11:30 AM   #3
coh661
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4 M COUPE  [8.00]
Thanks salty, appreciate it. Yep, light on the climate controls comes on when I turn the AC on. Pretty much looks like normal. All the modes work and the fan functions fine. AC compressor clutch engages as well when the AC button is pressed. Instrument cluster displays an accurate outside temp which I think means the ambient temperature sensor under the bumper is working fine. Everything looks like it should except I get warm air. I'm think I'm going to rent some gauges and check the high and low side pressures but figured I wait till it warms up first and see if anyone can confirm if that defeat exists. Hopefully the defeat is causing to warm air or I just need a recharge and leak detection.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 05:49 PM   #4
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks salty, appreciate it. Yep, light on the climate controls comes on when I turn the AC on. Pretty much looks like normal. All the modes work and the fan functions fine. AC compressor clutch engages as well when the AC button is pressed. Instrument cluster displays an accurate outside temp which I think means the ambient temperature sensor under the bumper is working fine. Everything looks like it should except I get warm air. I'm think I'm going to rent some gauges and check the high and low side pressures but figured I wait till it warms up first and see if anyone can confirm if that defeat exists. Hopefully the defeat is causing to warm air or I just need a recharge and leak detection.
It was about 39 when I tried my AC this morning, and mine seemed to work. Of course, it is hard to tell if it is blowing cold air from the AC when the air temp is 39. So, after it warmed up to about 50, I tried it again, and it felt cold to me. The manual doesn't say much about temps and AC except it mentions using it above 32F.

Hopefully it is OK. If I have on the heater and switch to vents, it can take awhile before the air temp changes.

Did you post pics of your new Z4M? What color?

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 06:33 PM   #5
Honorebel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 M Coupe

Congrats on the new ride I am glad you found one closer to home!! As for me I decided to hold on to mine for a lot longer
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 12:11 PM   #6
coh661
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4 M COUPE  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC
Quote:
It was about 39 when I tried my AC this morning, and mine seemed to work. Of course, it is hard to tell if it is blowing cold air from the AC when the air temp is 39. So, after it warmed up to about 50, I tried it again, and it felt cold to me. The manual doesn't say much about temps and AC except it mentions using it above 32F.

Hopefully it is OK. If I have on the heater and switch to vents, it can take awhile before the air temp changes.

Did you post pics of your new Z4M? What color?

Salty
Thanks Salty. Sounds like I should be getting some cold air even if it's cold outside. Next step is to rent some Gage's and check the pressures. Thanks for checking for me!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 12:12 PM   #7
coh661
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4 M COUPE  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorebel
Congrats on the new ride I am glad you found one closer to home!! As for me I decided to hold on to mine for a lot longer
Hey Honerbel, good to hear from you again. Yeah ended up finding a titanium one. Same amount of miles as yours. Sounds like both of us won in the end. Thanks for putting up with all those complications.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 12:54 PM   #8
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Congrats on the new ride...good times coming

Make sure you're not running auto climate as that may turn off the A/C if it detects low ambient temp. Also, you may want to try the "defroster" or "defogger" to see if you can get cold air out as the system does use the A/C as a dehumidifier. Sorry that I can't help you validate this as SoCal weather are mostly in the 70s
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 01:51 AM   #9
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Anyone got stats in regards to how much oil and gas should be in there, I have to service mine (works great, but havent had it done before and now own the car for 3 years..)

Congrats OP, on your new car, pics when you can please
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 12:16 PM   #10
coh661
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4 M COUPE  [8.00]
Hey Vanne, a bit late on pics but here they are. The mods are coming along nicely.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 03:38 PM   #11
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Stunning ride!

I think the issue you may have heard of is when the ambient temp sensor gets disconnected (or damaged) and the car shows a default outside temp of -40 degrees. It happened to me and the AC didn't work until I got the sensor fixed.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 05:06 PM   #12
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hey Vanne, a bit late on pics but here they are. The mods are coming along nicely.
Looks good, man. I probably saw it somewhere along the way and forgot, but did you paint your reflectors or cover them with a sticker?

Salty
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 07:11 PM   #13
Punisher3.0si
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E86 manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Anyone got stats in regards to how much oil and gas should be in there, I have to service mine (works great, but havent had it done before and now own the car for 3 years..)

Congrats OP, on your new car, pics when you can please
I just did my AC this week and I think it was 1.3lbs. There is a sticker on the hood that says the specification.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 12:27 AM   #14
coh661
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 Z4 M COUPE  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC
Quote:
Looks good, man. I probably saw it somewhere along the way and forgot, but did you paint your reflectors or cover them with a sticker?

Salty
Had them painted by a shop when he was painting my side skirts. The driver side was a bad color match so I'll have to do those over myself soon. My painter did mention that they took longer because they forgot to do the reflectors. I suspect they forgot to do the driver side and when they went back they used the wrong shade of titanium silver.
Appreciate 0