ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Active Autowerke N52 (06-08 3.0i/3.0si) Software Upgrade

In case you guys don't frequent E90Post, just wanted to let you guys know of AA's new software tune for the N52. This isn't exactly new considering BMS and Giantini (spell?) has released a software for us n/a users but unlike those, AA's software is flash based instead of a piggy back module.

I haven't tried any so can't personally comment but seems like based on what I've read on e90, the 325i/328i users report good gains from BMS but not so much for the 330i guys. And while the throttle response is good, some report a slight jerkiness. The AA thread shows a mustang dyno which shows modest gains across the powerband, which is expected considering these are n/a motors but it's somewhat reassuring that they're posting real numbers instead of something overly optimistic. Plus mustang dynos are known to be the harshest...

Given AA's long reputable history with BMWs, I'd be more inclined to go with them over the others. More info here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=435663&page=4

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446015

Last edited by 3002 tii; 10-23-2010 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

FWIW the Gintani/OE tune is flash based as well. They just have a plug in module to allow for reflashing. I will be very interested to see how the AA tune compares.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
FWIW the Gintani/OE tune is flash based as well. They just have a plug in module to allow for reflashing. I will be very interested to see how the AA tune compares.
I knew they had initially advertised flash based which is the case for the e90 but I think when a z4 owner actually stepped up they ended up soldering because they had problems communicating with the dme
      10-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
I knew they had initially advertised flash based which is the case for the e90 but I think when a z4 owner actually stepped up they ended up soldering because they had problems communicating with the dme
That solder-victim was me, but however they achieved the interface they did reflash the DME rather than install a piggyback controller like the BMS. How does AA get access to the DME to reflash?
Appreciate 0