ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
mshanno1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Finally installed my ZHP knob!

This thing makes it so much nicer to shift. My stock shifter was EXTREMELY notchy, almost to the point where I thought something may be wrong with it. Sometimes it almost felt like something was "crunching when I shifted 1->2. I installed my new ZHP knob, and the notchiness improved a good 80%. I was somewhat surprised, because I thought the shorter knob would exacerbate the notchiness due to the decreased leverage. Maybe it's because it is weighted..IDK, but I love it!

And on a side note, after reading The Shoe's Exhaust for sale thread, I tried to see if my dog would fit in my trunk...It didn't work out so well

Last edited by mshanno1; 02-25-2012 at 05:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

Glad to hear! The only reason I haven't gotten one is because I'm still trying to talk myself into paying over 4X the price for a lighted version from leatherZ.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
mshanno1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbosock View Post
Glad to hear! The only reason I haven't gotten one is because I'm still trying to talk myself into paying over 4X the price for a lighted version from leatherZ.
I thought I about it, but then realized that I really didn't need a lighted shifter. The price they charge is outrageous.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Agreed. Installed this two weeks back. Big improvement, better feel, crisper.

I don't have a lighted one, no big deal, don't miss it. Wife couldn't live w/o the lighted one, but bought a lighted one second hand that someone had DIY lighting into. Looks good, ever so slight "bump" in the leather, but you can't see it unless your head is one foot away, which means it's not there for all intents. Does anyone have or know of a DIY for lighting these babies? That way you could buy a cheaper unlighted one, and DIY it.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
mshanno1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Agreed. Installed this two weeks back. Big improvement, better feel, crisper.

I don't have a lighted one, no big deal, don't miss it. Wife couldn't live w/o the lighted one, but bought a lighted one second hand that someone had DIY lighting into. Looks good, ever so slight "bump" in the leather, but you can't see it unless your head is one foot away, which means it's not there for all intents. Does anyone have or know of a DIY for lighting these babies? That way you could buy a cheaper unlighted one, and DIY it.
I think I saw one somewhere...I'll have to find it again.

However, I did find this thread where someone was modding the ZHP knob with a white LED, which looks awesome, and selling for $150
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...3&postcount=18
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #6
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB M Coupe

Installed my ZHP shift knob a few weeks ago. Definitely better than stock. I don't miss the light at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 07:47 AM   #7
ruscoupe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
I have a ZHP knob laying around from the ZHP I had and eventually I may throw it on just for grins. But I don't see how a knob alone would do anything for a notchy feeling. You didn't change the shifter linkage did you? The throw itself might be better, it might feel better and the weight would differ from the stock knob. But do you think much of what you're feeling might be mental?

I'm always having to justify a ton of things I buy so it's not like you'd be the only one.

Rus
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscoupe View Post
But I don't see how a knob alone would do anything for a notchy feeling. You didn't change the shifter linkage did you? The throw itself might be better, it might feel better and the weight would differ from the stock knob. But do you think much of what you're feeling might be mental?
+1

The ZHP knob improves upon the throws making them more direct and concise but doesn't really affect notchiness.
      02-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #9
mshanno1
First Lieutenant
Rep

I think I may have had a problem that was more severe than others. It had a "crunching" feeling when shifting 1->2 and sometimes 2->3. I had to pull/push hard for it to go through the gate, to the point where it almost felt like I was going to break something. I agree that it doesn't make sense, but it is completely gone now.

Last edited by mshanno1; 02-26-2012 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #10
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
The "crunching" feeling between 1->2 is mostly due to timing and the way you shift. If you shift too quick or too slow, you'll get the "crunching" feel. If you shift quick and at low revs, you'll get the "crunching" feel. The happy spot I found is around 4-4.5RPM to shift from 1->2 with a slight pause in between. If you find the right timing, 1->2 will just slide right in...don't ever try to jam it in or it'll "crunch".

I though I had issue with my transmission for the 1st year I had it. Took it to several mechanics who took test drives with it and they all said it was fine and "normal". Then I learned how to drive it "properly"...just needed more seat time on the car

The ZHP knob does improve the feel and makes it more enjoyable to drive!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #11
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshanno1
I think I may have had a problem that was more severe than others. It had a "crunching" feeling when shifting 1->2 and sometimes 2->3. I had to pull/push hard for it to go through the gate, to the point where it almost felt like I was going to break something. I agree that it doesn't make sense, but it is completely gone now.
First to second shift much better if you really slam on the clutch. I has ZHP knob before. It does feel better from stock. I end up getting new transmission mounts and Auto Solution SSK. It does eliminate the problem but shifting is more precise.
Appreciate 0