ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

NA Tune: ESS or wait for Evolve?

I'm getting ready to put on my euro headers and cats. Car is my DD so I can't send out the ECU for an upgrade, that leaves me two choices:

1. Evolve is coming out with a remote tuning solution, they expect to have it done in about a month. Here's info on their tune. They have great customer service and their tune is about $200 cheaper.

2. ESS already has a handheld flasher. They have a great reputation and are extremely knowledgeable about Z4 Ms.

I've heard good things about both companies. Should I wait for Evolve or should I get ESS? Opinions, especially from people that have driven or tried both are appreciated.
      02-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 SBM M coupe

actually there is a third

the epic/bimmerworld tune via the newly released ECI cable.

Highly recommend the it ... in fact, I'm currently reading my ECU with this cable from my OBDii port as we speak.

check out bimmerworlds website for further info and pricing
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Im waiting for evolve. Any idea when their handheld will be ready?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

So..... what are the REAL benefits of all these "tunes"?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
Cal@Sonic MS
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Trust me, the wait for Evolve will be worth it.

There are many other value added benefits the Evolve-R unit offers that competitors don't. Which include but are not limited to Code Reading/Clearing, Datalogging/Adaptation Reset (in the works), free valet map, etc.

Plus Sal@Evolve really knows his stuff.

See here for more info on the Evolve-R unit.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535437
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

ESS states that their tune is not compatible with SS headers. Will Evolves tune be compatible with SS headers?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 12:25 AM   #7
Cal@Sonic MS
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind32 View Post
ESS states that their tune is not compatible with SS headers. Will Evolves tune be compatible with SS headers?
Yes, Evolve works closely with SS on many of their products so I'm sure that will be a non-issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 12:31 AM   #8
Cal@Sonic MS
United_States
Rep

Detailed reviews from E46 M3 owners which utilizes the same S54 engine. Should give you Gents a good idea of what to expect.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...=evolve+review

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...post1064823095
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 12:47 AM   #9
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

please tell me they finally figured out how to give us a shift light!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 01:45 AM   #10
Blind32
United_States
Rep

Keep up updated on when this Evolve tune will be ready. Looks promising.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #11
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 SBM M coupe

Quote:
I have SS V1 stepped headers and epic's tune and car made nice gains, is CEL free and more importantly drives awesome both on the street and track. Throttle response in midrange is greatly improved with epics tune.

Surprised so many of you are overlooking this tune.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #12
DanFromTucson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal@Sonic MS View Post
There are many other value added benefits the Evolve-R unit offers that competitors don't. Which include but are not limited to Code Reading/Clearing, Datalogging/Adaptation Reset (in the works), free valet map, etc.
That looks like a really good tune, but I haven't been able to find anything on their web site related to the other benefits you described. Is it hidden somewhere? I must admit I found the site design pretty confusing so maybe I missed it.

Last edited by DanFromTucson; 02-19-2012 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #13
Blind32
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbanick View Post
I have SS V1 stepped headers and epic's tune and car made nice gains, is CEL free and more importantly drives awesome both on the street and track. Throttle response in midrange is greatly improved with epics tune.

Surprised so many of you are overlooking this tune.
Awesome info. I will def look into Epic as well. I really haven't thought about getting a tune in the near future. Still have headers that need to be installed. Problem is, I read this thread and now I'm thinking, install headers this weekend, wait a week or two for my mod bug bite to heal then order a tune.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #14
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
I've got the ESS Directflash uni w/93oct header (etc) tune. Noticeable power difference, especially midrange-up. Drops like a hammer from 4500rpm+. Obviously, the bonus is that it's easy switching back to stock for warrantee concerns.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #15
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

do any of you believe in a custom tune?

i'm going to a dyno day where this reputed tuner will be doing custom tunes on customer cars.

i'll get a before dyno and a few after dynos to see what my gains are for the tune.

link to the event and very reasonably priced if anybody in the area would like to join or just come to watch.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=395373
      02-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #16
OG_M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ae86; z4mc

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
1985 AE86  [0.00]
To be clear and someone please correct me if i am wrong:

Tunes with user-ability to flash:
  • ESS
  • Epic/Bimmerworld
Tunes in progress/to be released with user-ability:
  • Evolve
Tunes that need to be flashed by a dealer/sent in:
  • Active Autowerke
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #17
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubydafa View Post
do any of you believe in a custom tune?

i'm going to a dyno day where this reputed tuner will be doing custom tunes on customer cars.

i'll get a before dyno and a few after dynos to see what my gains are for the tune.

link to the event and very reasonably priced if anybody in the area would like to join or just come to watch.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=395373
Good luck, the z4M DME is a completely different ball game from what ive heard. I doubt the guy would be able to tune it without significant amount of time cracking it.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 11:01 PM   #18
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by txz4 View Post
Good luck, the z4M DME is a completely different ball game from what ive heard. I doubt the guy would be able to tune it without significant amount of time cracking it.
thanks for the heads up. apparently the tuner has been tuning cars for 20 years and is very well versed with the s54. i'm willing to give him a shot ...and heck the proof will be in the dyno.

i'll be sure to document the dyno day for anybody in the area that's interested in a custom tune as an alternative.
      02-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #19
Panchio
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe, M3 E92 DCT, 1M VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal@Sonic MS
Quote:
Yes, Evolve works closely with SS on many of their products so I'm sure that will be a non-issue.
Thank God !! Finally I can get the SS... As much as I like the ESS tune, I'm tired of having to find OEM euro headers... Thanks for this tip
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #20
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
I would really encourage some of you to try and be a little more patient until Evolve Automotive releases the evolve-R for the Z4M. I was one of the first in the nation to get their tune for the S54B32 platform (my review was posted earlier by Cal@SonicMS).

I will humbly say that it is worth the wait! They tuned my car with the SS V2 Stepped and SS V1 Stepped. The car is a straight monster right now!

There are gains throughout the whole power band, not just high end like some other tunes out there. I gained an honest 17whp and in some areas 17wtq on a heat soaked motor on the dyno with no adaptations!

The drivability and throttle is so much better now and feels very linear with pedal feel.

They offer the ability to read/clear codes, and as mentioned, they are working on a way to reset adaptations. I believe they will continue development once again after finishing up some other insane projects they have on their hands.

Evolve Automotive continues to always try and improve upon their already incredible product. They sent me an update tune that actually has even more topend power than my initial setup.

They also have the ability to tune 100% catless cars with no CEL, while keeping all of your sensors 100% ready. Yeah, that's right!! For race cars and off-road cars, you can have your car tuned with no cats, but keep your post-cat O2 sensors in ready state. I don't know any other tuner that can do that.

You can also delete your Secondary Air Pump with no CEL.

I apologize for the very brokenly organized post, but these are just my thoughts straight off the top of my head.

As noted, it is VERY well worth waiting for, what I believe, to be the best tune out there. I plan on installing their Evolve CF Airbox and Alpha-N tune very soon!

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #21
OG_M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ae86; z4mc

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
1985 AE86  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
I would really encourage some of you to try and be a little more patient until Evolve Automotive releases the evolve-R for the Z4M. I was one of the first in the nation to get their tune for the S54B32 platform (my review was posted earlier by Cal@SonicMS).

I will humbly say that it is worth the wait! They tuned my car with the SS V2 Stepped and SS V1 Stepped. The car is a straight monster right now!

There are gains throughout the whole power band, not just high end like some other tunes out there. I gained an honest 17whp and in some areas 17wtq on a heat soaked motor on the dyno with no adaptations!

The drivability and throttle is so much better now and feels very linear with pedal feel.

They offer the ability to read/clear codes, and as mentioned, they are working on a way to reset adaptations. I believe they will continue development once again after finishing up some other insane projects they have on their hands.

Evolve Automotive continues to always try and improve upon their already incredible product. They sent me an update tune that actually has even more topend power than my initial setup.

They also have the ability to tune 100% catless cars with no CEL, while keeping all of your sensors 100% ready. Yeah, that's right!! For race cars and off-road cars, you can have your car tuned with no cats, but keep your post-cat O2 sensors in ready state. I don't know any other tuner that can do that.

You can also delete your Secondary Air Pump with no CEL.

I apologize for the very brokenly organized post, but these are just my thoughts straight off the top of my head.

As noted, it is VERY well worth waiting for, what I believe, to be the best tune out there. I plan on installing their Evolve CF Airbox and Alpha-N tune very soon!
thank you and thanks for your in-depth reviews on the ss v1 stepped vs ss v2 stepped! you are a great asset to the community. cant wait for you to put on the airbox to see how it performs.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #22
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
I plan on installing their Evolve CF Airbox and Alpha-N tune very soon!
+1 keep us posted on your install. That is one mod I might do in the future if I decide to keep the car NA. There's nothing like the CSL airbox sound.

Based on all the feedback I got I decided to wait for evolve Euro headers and cats are going in this saturday.